ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Olympus E-410 Digital SLR?

Banana
Anyone have one of these? I have been thinking of buying a DSLR for a while now, and everyone has recommended the Canon eos 400D, but the chance of the Olympus has come up quite cheap, and I'm wondering if they are just as good? I have no photography experience whatsoever (apart from point-and-shoot compacts) so I need something that is idiot-friendly. Any help appreciated :)

RB 182
As far as I can remember the Olympus doesn't have a good amount of lenses that fit the camera, where as the Canon you have lots that can.

I've had the Canon 350D for a while now and I find it a decent camera and I'm not using anywhere near it's potential.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
I bought an E400 in May, and whilst it took fantastic pictures, i couldn't find lenses at a decent price for love nor money, it got sold and i bought a 400d instead.

1.8 Civic EX
I got an E400 fantastic camera but limited to pretty much Olympus only lenses....a few Sigma ones which are rather cheap but as thier warehouse was broken into you'll be hard pushed to get one for a while...

I've had a lens on order from Sigma since about 2 weeks before FCS! lol

Posted on a recent discussion on the E systems on another forum..
http://forum.deviantart.com/galleries/photography/898042/

To sum it up...

1) only the kit lenses are cheap, the rest of the lenses are double or triple the price of what the competition offers.

2) the sensor is much smaller than what the competition offers, this makes serious compromises in terms of dynamic range, detail capture, noise handling and the 2x field of view crop makes almost impossible to use wide angle lenses - also because of the prohibitive price of olympus wide angle lenses-. Also Depth of field is relative to the size of the sensor, the smaller the sensor the larger the DOF will be thus limiting you a lot.

3) Olympus lens roadmap is very limited -few zooms, few primes-

4) the viewfinder is ridiculously small and very, very dark.

And here's a useful link to help you along...
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/