ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OnePlus 2 - Announced

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
If you're already using Gmail then stick with that - it makes little impact on the battery from my experience.

For work emails I tend to use Maildroid as you can modify the connection side of things rather in depth. Such as only periodically checking emails during office hours, making it close the connection after its done, and letting the device sleep over the weekend etc.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I also deleted my outlook app last night lol. Most of my reasoning came from this thread actually! If I set up forwarding on my hotmail account through to my gmail and use Inbox, will that still keep my battery use down? Already using Inbox with my gmail account just now and its awesome!

As for rooting, I might just go ahead and do it tonight when I get in from work. Sounds like its going to help massively in the long run.

Yep, just forward find the setting on your hotmail account in their web interface to forward email to your gmail account.

On gmail, create a filter tag email with your hotmail address as "hotmail" (this is really just for your own benefit, you don't have to do this, just makes it easier to see that it came into the hotmail address).

On gmail tell it that you want an alias to send from, it will then ask you for the email address (the hotmail) one and will then ask you for your smtp login details etc, I think it also sends an email to make sure it's yours.

Set gmail to reply from the address the email was sent to, this means that if a gmail email comes in it will reply using gmails servers and your gmail address, if it's hotmail it'll reply using the hotmail smtp server and the reply address will be the hotmail address.

Now any hotmail mail that hits their server immediately forwards straight to your gmail, so you get push email into gmail.

You might have to remove the Inbox app from your phone after making these changes and reinstall it, so that the hotmail address works properly (it doesn't seem to refresh those kind of changes).

You can then (with the aid of a computer), set up your mail client with both hotmail and gmail IMAP and then drag all your hotmail email into your gmail inbox, and all your sent mail into your sent mail box.

Now, all your old email is in gmail as well, so it's all searchable.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
If you're already using Gmail then stick with that - it makes little impact on the battery from my experience.

He's using Inbox, which you wonder after 2 minutes of using it how you ever lived without it!

IMAP was killing my battery, I like push email, we go to a lot of gigs and stuff, so having a 30 min delay on an email can mean missing secret gigs!

Such as only periodically checking emails during office hours

He won't need to do do any kind of periodic checking as he'll have proper push email working on both his hotmail and gmail address.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
He's using Inbox, which you wonder after 2 minutes of using it how you ever lived without it!

IMAP was killing my battery, I like push email, we go to a lot of gigs and stuff, so having a 30 min delay on an email can mean missing secret gigs!

He won't need to do do any kind of periodic checking as he'll have proper push email working on both his hotmail and gmail address.

Does it keep POP3 connections open? The annoying thing with my work setup is all emails going through POP3 on the laptop, which thanks to our IT means it locks the mailbox to one device at a time (if used on the same wifi network). No IMAP available...

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Does it keep POP3 connections open? The annoying thing with my work setup is all emails going through POP3 on the laptop, which thanks to our IT means it locks the mailbox to one device at a time (if used on the same wifi network). No IMAP available...

It doesn't support anything other than gmail accounts, hence why you have to forward other email accounts to your gmail.

Your IT department are still using POP? :frowning: Fooking hell, give them a slap and tell them it's not the 90's any more! :smile:

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
It doesn't support anything other than gmail accounts, hence why you have to forward other email accounts to your gmail.

Your IT department are still using POP? :frowning: Fooking hell, give them a slap and tell them it's not the 90's any more! :smile:

You can add IMAP, POP & Exchange accounts in the Gmail app bit but I guess that's slightly different to the setup you explained.

Tell me about it! Moaned on several occasions!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
You can add IMAP, POP & Exchange accounts in the Gmail app bit but I guess that's slightly different to the setup you explained.

Tell me about it! Moaned on several occasions!

Yeah I don't use that kind of setup because that is still a polled setup, all be it the gmail servers polling the other mail servers rather than the email client you're running doing it directly. Your IT department or contract of employment might also have something to say about you forwarding or storing work emails somewhere else as well, so I suspect the setup you have for your work email is about as good as you can get it.

For personal email, especially if you've come from Apple & iCloud, this gets over the loss of apples proprietary push system, mail comes into icloud and immediately gets forwarded on to gmail.

(or whatever web based email provider you use that supports server forwards)

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yep, just forward find the setting on your hotmail account in their web interface to forward email to your gmail account.

On gmail, create a filter tag email with your hotmail address as "hotmail" (this is really just for your own benefit, you don't have to do this, just makes it easier to see that it came into the hotmail address).

On gmail tell it that you want an alias to send from, it will then ask you for the email address (the hotmail) one and will then ask you for your smtp login details etc, I think it also sends an email to make sure it's yours.

Set gmail to reply from the address the email was sent to, this means that if a gmail email comes in it will reply using gmails servers and your gmail address, if it's hotmail it'll reply using the hotmail smtp server and the reply address will be the hotmail address.

Now any hotmail mail that hits their server immediately forwards straight to your gmail, so you get push email into gmail.

You might have to remove the Inbox app from your phone after making these changes and reinstall it, so that the hotmail address works properly (it doesn't seem to refresh those kind of changes).

You can then (with the aid of a computer), set up your mail client with both hotmail and gmail IMAP and then drag all your hotmail email into your gmail inbox, and all your sent mail into your sent mail box.

Now, all your old email is in gmail as well, so it's all searchable.
Cheers mate! Will give this a go later, internet filters in work block access to all email websites and cant access the forwarding options from the mobile site :unamused: I literally have nothing better to be doing this afternoon as well 😂

Quite looking forward to getting all this done and rooted and seeing how it improves battery. No doubt I'll be back here later with questions about rooting and changing kernels and stuff!

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Cheers mate! Will give this a go later, internet filters in work block access to all email websites and cant access the forwarding options from the mobile site :unamused: I literally have nothing better to be doing this afternoon as well 😂

Quite looking forward to getting all this done and rooted and seeing how it improves battery. No doubt I'll be back here later with questions about rooting and changing kernels and stuff!

Once you've got your head around rooting it etc, then definitely get Xposed and the Amplify module. @Addicted seems to have used it successfully to control Google location wakelocks etc.

There are plenty of other great modules available such as youtube adblocking.

Yep it's easy peasy - Amplify will suggest good processes to reduce the amount of wakelocks on (the only thing it doesn't do is suggest a suitable time), and Greenify is completely automated if you use the experimental features, the only thing you could really add to it is the crap you don't need constant wakelocks for - perhaps Facebook etc.

I also use the YouTube AdAway as Amos says, it's been brilliant. I'm on the hunt for new modules, but the fun is always trying to find which are compatible with A. the xposed version and B. system/rom/kernel version - so I've not bothered to look any further yet.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just had a quick look at a dummies guide to rooting and its much simpler than I thought once all the terms are explained!

Now I actually understand half of it I'll give that video guide a watch that was posted a few pages back.

Yep super easy, just unlocking the bootloader is super useful - do it every time you get a new phone if you ever plan to flash it down the line, so at least you don't have to loose every thing when you have loads of crap on, but more importantly you can use backup apps when you root the stock rom :) makes it a little less painless when moving.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah I really have no idea why I haven't got round to doing this sooner. It seems so simple now lol!

Only thing I don't get yet is the kernels and these modules. For changing the kernel does it need to be done at a certain point in the process or just once the phone is rooted and everything is working?

Same with stuff like this xposed module. Do they just install like apps or is there more to it?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Yeah I really have no idea why I haven't got round to doing this sooner. It seems so simple now lol!

Only thing I don't get yet is the kernels and these modules. For changing the kernel does it need to be done at a certain point in the process or just once the phone is rooted and everything is working?

Same with stuff like this xposed module. Do they just install like apps or is there more to it?

Install it once you're on the latest Oxygen version and rooted, just boot into TWRP and install the zip.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Wednesday, October 21, 2015 Location Time Pieces
7 Clearance processing complete at SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 17:42
1 Pieces

6 Clearance event SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 17:20
1 Pieces

5 Arrived at Sort Facility SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 17:11
1 Pieces

4 Departed Facility in SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 15:07
1 Pieces

3 Processed at SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 14:06
1 Pieces

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 Location Time Pieces
2 Processed at SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 14:44
1 Pieces

1 Shipment picked up SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 14:26
1 Pieces

Fml ...

You can flash a kernel whenever, and pretty much on any rom :)

Xposed you have to flash like a Kernel via recovery, and then you can add modules via the app.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Wednesday, October 21, 2015 Location Time Pieces
7 Clearance processing complete at SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 17:42
1 Pieces

6 Clearance event SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 17:20
1 Pieces

5 Arrived at Sort Facility SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 17:11
1 Pieces

4 Departed Facility in SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 15:07
1 Pieces

3 Processed at SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 14:06
1 Pieces

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 Location Time Pieces
2 Processed at SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 14:44
1 Pieces

1 Shipment picked up SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 14:26
1 Pieces

Fml ...

Out of interest, what did you select as the delivery option? ALWAYS select standard, NEVER express in the UK, not that this time round it probably makes a difference with the open sale as there is probably no UK stock.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Out of interest, what did you select as the delivery option? ALWAYS select standard, NEVER express in the UK, not that this time round it probably makes a difference with the open sale as there is probably no UK stock.
Didnt give me an option for standard had to select express.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just went for it anyway lol. Seems to all be working fine.

Got confused with all the talk of flashing Oxygen 2.1.0 them updating to 2.1.1. Mines was just already at 2.1.1 after I unlocked the bootloader and installed TWRP.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
seems like mines is in glasgow :) hopefully get it today ... fingers crossed. if i get it today al be over the moon. dont think they deliver on a saturday so today or monday :eek:

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well... Battery life seems pretty epic now. Still managed to burn through 40% at work this morning until I realised I still had that "ok google" detection shite turned on. Now I've turned that off and double checked and sorted out a few wakelocks I've only used about 20% this whole afternoon.

Mental how little battery it uses on standby now. Had originally downloaded Smart Network to switch from 4G to 2G and turn off wifi etc when the phone's not in use but I don't even think that's really needed. Well chuffed! Cheers @Addicted and @sn00p for convincing me to root lol!

:] no prob, I now need to convince my mate at work!

Now you see why I called someone a moron a few pages back - because good battery life in standby is very much not a given right :smiley:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Yeah it's crazy how much difference you can make. I only rooted because of @Addicted always rooting and thought I'd see what was possible. Last time I rooted an android device was a long time ago!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Haha yeah, I used to think my battery lasted fairly well when I wasn't using the phone too. Always lasted better when I disabled GPS but it was never THAT bad. Now it doesn't seem to use any battery at all.

Really want to start playing about with Synapse now and get my screen time up but I don't have a clue what I'm doing lol!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
@Addicted have you updated to 0.15 of ak? I did and it killed my battery, was dropping a % every minute regardless of whether the screen was on, switched backed to 0.14 and it all returned back to normal.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I take it all back. Back on 0.15 and it appears to be pretty darned immense on it.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
There's a new version of the AK updater, I tried older version with 0.15 was released and it didn't work, just sat there.
Easy enough to boot in TWRP though to install.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
I'm getting sick of how quick my phone drains the battery.
It was at 9% and then 2 minutes later (not using it) it turned itself off.