ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Operation sl*g (vid)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

My car looks like a sl*g apart from the rear lights. It goes well enough to be called a sl*g. Its never clean so its a sl*g.

Then theres the sound..... it sounds like every other car with a sports system hmmmm not very sl*g.

So i set myself a task to make her sound like a sl*g.

Design brief:
1) Has to sound somewhere near a group A rally car
2) Has to be as cheap as possible
3) Has to have the ability to be changed quickly so i can get the old sound back if i ever want.

Implementation. (step by step how to do it)
Take all the silencers off the k-tec system. Start the car and stand back laughing at the bloody loud V8 like noise the car makes.
Next step turn engine off. Go and buy a £4 length of pipe and cut the flange off a old clio exhaust. Hammer flange into pipe with plenty of exhaust paste. Offer up the new pipe to car and realise it is 2cm too short. Try in vane to join them. Go out and get a red bull can and cut the ends off. Use it to join the pipe. Stand back and feel proud at your manly use of something, which would normally be thrown away. Now start the car and admire the sl*g noise it makes. Check under the car and find its blowing from most joints. Ignore this and go out for a test drive. 5 miles away from home the exhaust will now make a lot more noise as the red bull can shears off and lets your new pipe fall off. Stop 100m down the road and run back to get the pipe. Pick it up forgetting that its really hot. Burn your hand and throw the pipe to side of the road. Wince in pain. Run back to the car and drive back to the pipe. Carefully pick it up and put it in the boot. Drive home with the loudest noise ever coming from under your car. Have fun scaring people with huge pops on the way back. Now your home borrow a mates car and drive to the pipe sellers and beg for a little piece of larger bore pipe to replace the shoddy red bull can. Take this small off cut home and admire how it fits perfectly. Get under the car and get it all fitted again. This time there are no blowing joints and everything looks good. Take car out for a full days test drive revelling in the wave of rally sl*g noise you are riding on.
Go home get mate and do some videos to prove how good your work was.

vid 1 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=CLIP1360http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=CLIP1360http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=CLIP1360
(ignore the handsome dude lmao)

Total cost was £7 but its exactly how i wanted! Result!!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

youll get over it lol. So for james:

He was there for most of the process due to it been done in his garage. He also helped by telling me id done it wrong alot then saying its ok well just bodge it again.
As for the hammering. Our perfect off cut was a little too perfect and needed the s**t ammering out of it to get it on. Then alot of twisting to get it into position.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

Have got some underload vids. Just need Drfox to send them to me.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

Yeah she smokes a little. Needs some top end treatment in it.

Or the real version...

Design Brief:

1) Steve wants more Chavs to look at him so thinks he needs to be louder
2) We decided he needs a raspier noise rather than "BOOAAAAR"
3) By doing this he gains 3 inches ;)

Steve realises the pipe James has is a perfect length and width for car and buys it for £5.
James cuts the pipe as Steve is scared of sparks
Steve looks confused whilst James hammers flange on
Steve doesnt think it will seal, James seals it
We both hammer at the weld holding the pipe off
Steve gives up and James gets pipe off
We realise the pipe we have isnt going to fit over the other pipe and we need a connector
We both look in kitchen cupboards for the ideal can
Steve finds a red bull can which fits perfectly
We attach it with exhaust clamps, sounds raspier but it fell off 5 minutes down the road
Steve picks up red hot exhaust and yelps a little
James puts it in the back of the car
Steve thinks it will set his wires in the back of his car on fire, James thinks it wont, it didnt...
We arrive back at my house and ponder a while longer...
We decide we need a stronger pipe and James thinks of the place he originally bought the pipe and takes Steve there.
The man in the garage looked at the pipe, said "hmm" and walked directly to an offcut of pipe on the side which fitted perfectly
We came back and hammer it over one end and it looks about right
Steve attaches it at the back end whilst James has lunch
Steve then says we need to take it all apart again to put the flange on first, James says no...
We try to twist it into place with a bit of cursing and hammering, Steve says it wont work, it worked
Attach it on properly and Steve covers it with in exhaust paste
We stand back and admire the sound whilst putting all James tools back on the garage floor
We leave mess on floor whilst we go and test sound, we like sound
Job Done?
No, He still has to tidy my garage floor!
In there somewhere is me buying the exhaust clamps aswell

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

lol, sounds very sl*gesque - and heres me wanting a nice quite exhaust!

Out of curiousity how easy is it to quiten a 3.5 stainless backbox? I want it dead quiet if possible....

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

Mmmmmmmmmm i do like that noise! i did like the deep burble.. but thats nice too hehe

Quote: Originally posted by Waitey on 25 July 2005

My car looks like a sl*g apart from the rear lights. It goes well enough to be called a sl*g. Its never clean so its a sl*g.

Then theres the sound..... it sounds like every other car with a sports system hmmmm not very sl*g.

So i set myself a task to make her sound like a sl*g.

Design brief:
1) Has to sound somewhere near a group A rally car
2) Has to be as cheap as possible
3) Has to have the ability to be changed quickly so i can get the old sound back if i ever want.

Implementation. (step by step how to do it)
Take all the silencers off the k-tec system. Start the car and stand back laughing at the bloody loud V8 like noise the car makes.
Next step turn engine off. Go and buy a £4 length of pipe and cut the flange off a old clio exhaust. Hammer flange into pipe with plenty of exhaust paste. Offer up the new pipe to car and realise it is 2cm too short. Try in vane to join them. Go out and get a red bull can and cut the ends off. Use it to join the pipe. Stand back and feel proud at your manly use of something, which would normally be thrown away. Now start the car and admire the sl*g noise it makes. Check under the car and find its blowing from most joints. Ignore this and go out for a test drive. 5 miles away from home the exhaust will now make a lot more noise as the red bull can shears off and lets your new pipe fall off. Stop 100m down the road and run back to get the pipe. Pick it up forgetting that its really hot. Burn your hand and throw the pipe to side of the road. Wince in pain. Run back to the car and drive back to the pipe. Carefully pick it up and put it in the boot. Drive home with the loudest noise ever coming from under your car. Have fun scaring people with huge pops on the way back. Now your home borrow a mates car and drive to the pipe sellers and beg for a little piece of larger bore pipe to replace the shoddy red bull can. Take this small off cut home and admire how it fits perfectly. Get under the car and get it all fitted again. This time there are no blowing joints and everything looks good. Take car out for a full days test drive revelling in the wave of rally sl*g noise you are riding on.
Go home get mate and do some videos to prove how good your work was.

vid 1 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=CLIP1360http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=CLIP1360http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=CLIP1360
(ignore the handsome dude lmao)

Total cost was £7 but its exactly how i wanted! Result!!

Sounds cool as fook.....

:D