ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

optical in/out

soon to be 172
The surround sound im looking at has 1 optical in and my tv has one optical out.

not i have sky + hd ps3 ect all connected via hdmi but im wondering.....

As the optical out is on the tv then i assum all the sound coming out of the tv going into the dvd player will come out of the surround sound?

lg tv connected to PS3 (HDMI)
Sky+hd (HDMI)
Surroundsound connected to tv via optical in/out

So if im watching a blueray or playing ps3 will the sound come out of the surround sound without me having to f**k arround with the optical in/out? Because if its plugged into the tv then whatever sound would normally come out of the tv will now come out of the surround sound?

Clio 200 Raider
yes it should do but check your tv's manuals as some tvs will only pass 2 channel sound out of the optical port.

although depending on your surround sound receiver you may be able to push it out to 5 channels but will be native 2 channel sound

Sure Sky HD can only do 5.1 via optical, not via HDMI so by the time it reaches your TV you're only getting 2 channels. To get true surround from Sky it needs to be optical straight into Amp.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Yup, Sky HD can only do 5.1 from optical, HDMI will only do stereo for Sky. Your TV most likely will only output stereo via optical, so even for PS3 your surround sound will have to use pro logic etc to output surround through your speakers. Good, but not as good as the original 5.1 from PS3.

Bet option is to get an optical cable switch, plug TV, PS3 and Sky HD into the inputs and then an output to the surround sound. About a fiver for a manual one, not sure on remote controlled one.