ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OTT? V8 Atom

A V8-powered Ariel Atom is up for grabs in the US, months before the official factory version goes on sale. Ariel is planning to build just 25 examples of its 500bhp Ariel Atom 500 (of which 20 have already been sold) at an eye-watering price of between £110k and £120k apiece.
Oregon-based Palatov Motorsport has just one V8 Atom, but you could be the proud owner of it for $65,000 (£43k).
The Palatov Atom uses the same Hartley H1 V8 as the Ariel Atom 500 will get, but with a displacement of 2.8 litres rather than 3.0 litres, and without the extensive internal modifications that Ariel makes to its engines. There's also the small matter of 100bhp or so - the 'factory' V8 makes 500bhp, while the Palatov car can muster 'just' 396bhp.

usatomv8_1-t.jpg

Still, if you can't wait for the 500bhp version, can't stretch to that lofty price tag, or are merely impatient, the Palatov Atom V8 could be a fine option.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=21871

a guy by me has a supercharged one and that thing is stupidly quick , running about 300bhp and he even said he scares his self some times , so 500bhp is going to be stupid , imagine hitting a fly at 100mph in one of those cars , or even a bird

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Have done 3 laps in a supercharged 300 atom as a passenger, and TBH it was immense!!

V8 and 500bhp personally I think is ridiculous...

Turbos.
They aren't particularly great cars to drive, the weight is right at the back and high up. The supercharges ones are absolutely mental so i can't believe there is even a demand for one with more power!

172 Ph1, 1972 Mini 1
This thing looks mental. For all of my life i have grown up with Caterham 7's and i just love them, they did a racing V8 supercharged version a year or so ago they had it on the stand at Autosport 2009.

If i remember rightly they were talking on the stand about total engine and gearbox weight being less than 90kg keeping the entire weight below 520kg so with 550hp in supercharged for that worked out to be 1057 bhp/tonne.

Heres a link i just dug up to an EVO review http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/226185/caterham_levante.html

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
a guy by me has a supercharged one and that thing is stupidly quick , running about 300bhp and he even said he scares his self some times , so 500bhp is going to be stupid , imagine hitting a fly at 100mph in one of those cars , or even a bird
A bird would make one almighty mess of your head at that speed!

I love it, it's ridiculous!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Did anyone see the picture of a guy driving around in a black atom dressed as darf vader LOL! I'd do that tbh :cool:

mso

172 cup supercharged
He should try my sc 172 cup:D:D:D