ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oulton Park Drfting (loose term...) - Vid

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
My first drift day, footage from the morning when I was crap, camera died before lunch
sad.png
Still, awesome fun!

The surface is deliberately low friction, then they wet it, so it's very easy to get sideways
mml.gif
And you barely wear anything of your tryes (less than 0.5mm a day).

Would love to have another go with a diff that's not sporadically fully open (22 year old viscous LSD = pretty much just a D now).

Definitely recommended!
Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
That was brilliant! Really want to do a few when I get a '5.
You looked really good too! When you said you were crap I was expecting spins everywhere. Very well held though, especially in an MX5!

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Looks fun :)

I like the idea of the drift track at OP. I've seen people in what looks like their company BMWs etc, you're unlikely to do any damage because you don't need to go fast to get the back out.

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Looks like tons of fun! Only down the road too.
Held it well.

Not helping me resist an s15 :(

I had one a few months back in a 350z awesome experience only used 1st n 2nd gear.

It was on a mini circuit but used part of the main track.

Would definately do it again I luckily got it on offer.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Looks fun :)

I like the idea of the drift track at OP. I've seen people in what looks like their company BMWs etc, you're unlikely to do any damage because you don't need to go fast to get the back out.

Somebody was doing it in a 458 last time I was there. Mental!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
that looks awesome, you held it better than i imagine i would lol, how did you go about getting into that event? just book and turn up in your car?

and how does it work on the track? turn in and let off to induce oversteer and power on to pull out of it?

that looks awesome, you held it better than i imagine i would lol, how did you go about getting into that event? just book and turn up in your car?

and how does it work on the track? turn in and let off to induce oversteer and power on to pull out of it?

Power on, kick the clutch or use the hand brake to initiate (or basically anything that unsettles the rear), keep the power on to maintain it, although you have to adjust it throughout the corner along with the steering. Then slowly peel off the power to come out of it.
Lift off oversteer in a front wheel drive car is pretty much what you described - so you'd do that in a Clio for example.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Power on, kick the clutch or use the hand brake to initiate (or basically anything that unsettles the rear), keep the power on to maintain it, although you have to adjust it throughout the corner along with the steering. Then slowly peel off the power to come out of it.
Lift off oversteer in a front wheel drive car is pretty much what you described - so you'd do that in a Clio for example.

Aah... Stupid me... The only experience I've had with going sideways was in a rally fiesta... Should've realised it was fwd when typing that :p

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
looked brilliant adam love the fact claire was cheering you on and not pooing it but the speeds didnt look quick had to laugh when you both sat there laughing lol. need me some rwd drive fun

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Looks great fun Adam , need to do one of these.. send me some details who you booked with etc please!

Turbos.
Did a similar thing at Silverstone in a GT3. Found it fun, but also quite difficult on the dry surface. Started to click when you realise it is more about throttle input than it is steering input.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Skills mate! Nice one.

Really not helped my wanting for an mx5 though...

TrackCar & F30 330d
That looked great fun.

I did a similar thing in an E92 M3 last Wednesday at Munich Airport. Only had 20 mins in the car but it was still brilliant fun trying to get it as sideways as possiable. Was getting paid to do it too lol

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
That was brilliant! Really want to do a few when I get a '5.
You looked really good too! When you said you were crap I was expecting spins everywhere. Very well held though, especially in an MX5!
Do it! It's well worth it, you learn so much and it's awesome fun.

Thanks dud e- to be honest that is pretty much a 'highlights' video, the rest of the footage is me backwards with the clutch pressed down heading for the grass :)

I shouldn't have watched this!

Looks epic fun!
Haha - sorry :rasp: To be honest you can do it on the cheap, one of the guys I went with has done this twice: Buy an old MX-5 for £5-600, rag it for the day, sell it for ~£800. You day is all paid for!

It looks like a Very good way of learning the characteristics of your car and getting a feel for going sideways.
Definitely. At first I was getting it all wrong with the timing of throttle and steering when trying to link the slides, and getting a tank slapper on. Now, it freels natural controlling it.

looks like a load of fun! good skills too!
Thanks dude!

Looks like tons of fun! Only down the road too.
Held it well.

Not helping me resist an s15 :(
Get it done :D

Good effort!

I would hit every single tyre wall :(
Haha, I hit one or two. Some dude in an M3 managed to run over one completely and get a tyre wedged under the car! All part of the fun though :)

bit like my drive to work in the volvo :D
You got an old 240 or something? There was one there, looked so weird going round sideways with the door handles practically on the floor!

I have a drift day soon at Oulton park, in an S14 and some 3 series, can't wait!
Awesome, try and get some vids and stick them up :)

I had one a few months back in a 350z awesome experience only used 1st n 2nd gear.
Yeah, you don't need any more than 2nd. You can use 1st but it was slippery enough that day to keep it in 2nd.

Haha, thanks man. I kept checking this page for new dates: http://www.clubmsv.com/car-home/introduction-to-drifting.aspx - seems there is another in about a month. Bloody tempting!

There's a few ways, as Joey says below, but in the morning I was mainly turning in, applying a jab of throttle, followed by a lift, at which point the car starts to slide then you balance it with throttle and opposite lock. Later on I was left foot braking while turning in and keeping the throttle on, which actually felt easier as you have 3 'inputs' to control the car with (brakes, throttle, steering), rather than just two (power and steering).

I still say this should be part of the driving test.
Completely agree! There was some poster in the briefing hut saying something daft like 30% of accidents happen within 3 miles of home AND involve a skid. I think they do a skid session as part of the driving test in Finland or somewhere? I also think there should be at least some motorway tuition.

looked brilliant adam love the fact claire was cheering you on and not pooing it but the speeds didnt look quick had to laugh when you both sat there laughing lol. need me some rwd drive fun
Haha cheers. Yeah she was loving it. Tried to get her to drive but she was too nervous of battering the car! Max speed was getting near the limiter in 2nd, so yeah not quick, but still plenty to make a mess when I got it wrong as there is so little grip to help you correct! Get yourself a gay hairdresser car with some s**t back tyres ;)

Looks great fun Adam , need to do one of these.. send me some details who you booked with etc please!

Looks like awesome fun, I'd also love to know details about it!

Yes, there was actually a Drift One car going round, plus you can book direct with MSV: http://www.clubmsv.com/car-home/introduction-to-drifting.aspx

Did a similar thing at Silverstone in a GT3. Found it fun, but also quite difficult on the dry surface. Started to click when you realise it is more about throttle input than it is steering input.
Ah, yeah, dry surface must be so much more difficult, a lot less time to feel what the car is doing, and of course you need a lot more power to break traction! Agreed about the throttle - it sounds so wrong but just works. Much easier to go for throttle 'prods' rather than smooth throttle while learning too.

Skills mate! Nice one.

Really not helped my wanting for an mx5 though...
Thanks mate. Have you ever driven one? They are great fun, amazing for the cash and how old they are. Relatively slow but if you can live with that it's all good :)

An orange one
Good skills for your first time mate! I'd be facing backwards more often than not!!

Looks rest fun!