ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Our shiney new 172!

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
Hello!

We got our new (to us) 172 last wednesday and it's awesome!! especially having moved up from a 1.2 dynamique (you know how it is when clio's get under you skin...). It's a Black 172 on a '53 plate with 55k on the clock, and a full stainless system (otherwise standard).
It's the best of about 10 that we've looked at over the past year or so, and we're both deeply in love with it.

We're just slightly sceptical about the rear of the car. Mid corner bumps seem to really unsettle it, making it yaw from side to side quite dramatically. Is this just us going a bit faster than we may have realised, or could it be somthing not set up correctly? I was under the impression that the sport was reknowned for being really unflappable, but I also know that it's prone to a bit of lift off over-steer...

The car is fitted with Nakang tyres, which I've seen refered to via a quick search as "ditchfinders" and "widowmakers"... Confidence inspiring! Any ideas?

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
Just realised that this should probably have gone in the technical section...

But Hi! anyway!!!:)

Ph2 172 Track Toy
Basically it sounds like you need to change the rear dampers. Quite normal and quite cheap. £55 each and a piece of you know what to fit. Quite literaly 2 bolts and no need to take the wheel off.

Also get some good rubber on there.

Best is to go for Michelin Pilot Exalto 2s in 205/45 and not the normal 195/45. More grip and better ride.

Or if you don't wanna splash thet much, dunlop sp9000's

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
Cheers for all of the advice!

Guess the first port of call is the tyres. It almost feels like the sidewalls on the Nankangs are really thin and flexible, and the wheel is moving around inside them. Does that make any sense? Been quoted £230 for a set of Toyo Proxes fitted, or I can get Michlin Premacy's for £240 all done as well... Staring to adjust to the balance of the car now as well, although it does feel like it's trying to understeer on long fast sweepers... :S

The missus seems quite happy to spend the money on tyres (she drives it harder than me...). So I'll get them done and have a ceremonial burning of the Nankangs. :)

Lee182 - I think it was quite loved, best we've seen for ages. Think the last owner may have had short arms and deep pockets... :rasp:

BMW M3
Yeah, rubbish tyres.... get the goodyear eagle f1 or Mich PEs.... f1s get my vote.... brilliant in the wet too.

Id buy off mytyres.com too

PH1 172 Sport
try etyres.co.uk Michilen Pilot Exaltos 2 can be had for £130 each fitted at home of work. They will provide so much more grip as they were as far as i'm aware developed for a clio sport. They will also last for ever on the rear. Its well worth spending extra on tyres as safty and handling is greatly improved.

BMW M3
try etyres.co.uk Michilen Pilot Exaltos 2 can be had for £130 each fitted at home of work. They will provide so much more grip as they were as far as i'm aware developed for a clio sport. They will also last for ever on the rear. Its well worth spending extra on tyres as safty and handling is greatly improved.

130 each !!

That not a bit much ?

Are they not about 80-90 on mytyres.com without the fitting ? Cant see fitting being £40 per tyre.

Ph2 172 Track Toy

130 each !!

That not a bit much ?

Are they not about 80-90 on mytyres.com without the fitting ? Cant see fitting being £40 per tyre.

Yeah ouch!!!

I paid £342 fully fitted for 4

PH1 172 Sport
Maybe i entered the size wrong seeing i have a ph1 172 my tyres are only about £60 each.

BMW M3
I do know that kwitfit do them for 140 each..... yet another reason i have and never will go there.

Id rather scratch my alloys myself rather than paying some money 140 quid to do it for me.

Ph2 172 Track Toy
I do know that kwitfit do them for 140 each..... yet another reason i have and never will go there.

Id rather scratch my alloys myself rather than paying some money 140 quid to do it for me.

Trust me Kwik Fit do em for £85.50 each fitted!;)

You just gotta know how to ask!!!

Oh and 205/45/16 just so we a on the same page!!

BMW M3

Trust me Kwik Fit do em for £85.50 each fitted!;)

You just gotta know how to ask!!!

Oh and 205/45/16 just so we a on the same page!!

You mean 'who' to ask ? lol

Thats a damn good price !!

Megane Trophy, Golf
Welcome mate! ive got Yokohama S drive's on mine, 50 quid a corner and better than the Eagle F1's i had on before. ;)

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
I was looking at the S-Drives in Revolution today... Decisions decisions! Does nobody rate Toyo Proxes? I've heard nowt but good things about them from everybody I talk to. I guess tyre choice is a really personal thing. Laugh if you want but I quite liked the Khumo Ecsta's that I had on the old Dynamique. Very predictable. Certainly leagues ahead of the Nankangs that's on the Sport. Is getting them filled with nitrogen worth the bit extra as well? Started detailing from the fornt of the car tonight. Just stopped when it got too dark to see what I was doing. Black cars look sooooooooo nice when they're clean - which doesn't seem to be very often...

Current ride - my Adidas!
Agree with the comment about the nankangs though, they are murder, I had a widebody lowered alfa 155 with a set of them on and i was bricking it going around even slight bends above 80 unless the surface was bone dry. no traction = legs in traction! Have you got the new rubber on yet? I bought a 182 a few weeks ago with Exaltos on the rear and 'Sunny' on the front :( I'm doing 600+ miles a week though so will put up with them until they're worn then go for a pair of Exaltos up front too.

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
It's tempting to stick with the Nankangs until they're fu**ed, but that's going to be a long time... Proably just get the Toyo's next week, bite the bullet and all...

Blinkin182: Did you find they felt like they were skipping around?

Current ride - my Adidas!
I dont know how I'd describe it CG, it was just a feeling of lack of security you get in a corner. The Alfa was a heavy old beast and with Proxes or Eagle F1s always felt incredibly solid particularly in a fast sweeping bend but with the Nankang ninja death rubber fitted it looked for every excuse to push/skip sideways and it wasn't just understeer. They are pure crap. You're in for a treat when you get some new rubber though as the handling will improve like you wouldn't believe. I think the Nankangs are so hard they just don't get warm or somethin like that. I really did despise them.

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
Sounds like a similar sensation, really unpredictable. Like it'll sometimes be fine, then a second later brown pants... Just what you want when you're pushing on (the unpredictability that is, although brown pants are also undesirable - think of the Alcantara...). Can't wait for the Toyo's.