ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pads

197CUP
Time to change my pads - was at Renault y'day so thought I'd ask out of interest 355£ - don't really need to say anything else on that! So now I'm looking into ordering from else where - I can get full set of EBC Redstuff for 155£.

Has anyone used these or can anyone reccomend alternatives?

I do track it but rarely and only taster sessions (30mins or so, so far) so decent road pads are more than suitable!

Thanks!

Megane 225 F1
Do not get EBC Redstuff. I have them on my Megane (were on there when I bought it). While on the road, they are brakes at the end of the day, a track day at Oulton last week showed that they are s**t. Literally didn't trust them coming into some of the high speed brake points on track.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Did i read right, £355 for pads? Oh and dont laugh. I needed front discs and pads asap as im doing oulton park tomo so i ended upi buying pagid front discs and pads from one of the local motor factors we use. So far they are bloody great, tomo will be interesting lol.

S4 Avant
Do not get EBC Redstuff. I have them on my Megane (were on there when I bought it). While on the road, they are brakes at the end of the day, a track day at Oulton last week showed that they are s**t. Literally didn't trust them coming into some of the high speed brake points on track.

Willdot? I thought you were permabanned?

Steer clear of EBC. I've had many experiences of them falling apart. When I'm looking for brake pads, staying intact is quite high on my priority list!

lol...love the EBC haters on here.

When at Cadwell this weekend saw loads of EBC boxes at nearly every car I walked passed - most in the same pit area as us. 1 was Tony but at least 5 other cars - not French too.

Never used them before 2011 but their past failings is history, they are a different product now. And the price point is a lot better than other brands.

Last edited:
To be fair i've never used them so I can't comment on them.

If you do get the colours right,
green - road only,
red - fast road use very novice track driver 2-3 times per year,
yellow - intermediate - expert track driver,
Blue - only Tony and above need apply

I think the mostly the wrong colours get used in the wrong abilities, I started Red and moved to yellow late last year. I'm still nowhere near moving to Blue. But for £88 set of Yellow fronts - I'll keep using and passing the gospel. Rears all you need is £15 throw away ones.

lol...love the EBC haters on here.

When at Cadwell this weekend saw loads of EBC boxes at nearly every car I walked passed - most in the same pit area as us. 1 was Tony but at least 5 other cars - not French too.

Never used them before 2011 but their past failings is history, they are a different product now. And the price point is a lot better than other brands.

My experiences are as early as the beginning of this year. 2 sets on my own personal car, 5+ on various customers cars. All different marques too, so it's got to be a manufacturing fault rather than just a specific pad fault.

My experiences are as early as the beginning of this year. 2 sets on my own personal car, 5+ on various customers cars. All different marques too, so it's got to be a manufacturing fault rather than just a specific pad fault.

Sounds probable Dan, though for the sake of argument, where the cars perfomance ones or 1.1's (low powered). Driven by experianced track goers (hard use) or sunday driver types (light use). As I do know green stuff in a 172 driven hard (or driven on at all) dosent go well. Cost over performance - someone I know put green stuff in his Elise and then said they where sh1t - and dangerous on track... funny, they where cheap though he said.

Megane 225 F1
As I said, redstuff on the road are fine. They stop me and I'm not doing stupid levels of braking. However on track, they were shocking from high speed braking.

182 FF
Interested to hear your experiances, as would the rest of the forum I'd expect.

Yes sorry for the blunt post. Fitted a pair of these when they first came out to my old 172 cup track car and at first they did not fit so had to attack them with a grinder but got them in there eventually. They were fitted with new Brembo HC discs & braided lines and AP racing dot5 fluid at the same time. Did oulton park with no road miles before , heat cycled them for the first hour or so and they had zero feel and only seemed to pull the car up went you stamped on them. Had DS2500 before and had used them with new discs before and had no problems. Went in another Clio that day using CL RC5's and that was like night and day 100 times better feel than the blues. Did another track day at Donny a few months later, they improved a little but still not confidence inspiring. Sold the car after this to CS member Fleck, don't know his thoughts but he changed them to a Wilwood set up soon after buying it...

Had a break from cars for a few years but now have a standard 182ff which I did Donny in a few weeks ago. It has OE pads fitted and they did better then the blues on a boiling hot day!

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's all a mixed bag these brake pads - it's all down to what works for you, your car and driving style and no one pad will ever be fit for all. Which could end up costing a fair bit in trial and error.

With the EBC blues being £140 or thereabouts, this opens up other "racing" perfomance pads in the same price bracket.

I think there are (must be) plenty of likes and dislikes for every pad, the only 100% rave reviews I have seen are for pads that cost 200 -250 and I can't remember what they are now.

I have driven a couple of cars with floating AP disks\calipers and it's like night and day the braking difference, advantage and best of all confidence these give you.

Last edited:
  182 FF
Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's all a mixed bag these brake pads - it's all down to what works for you, your car and driving style and no one pad will ever be fit for all. Which could end up costing a fair bit in trial and error.

With the EBC blues being £140 or thereabouts, this opens up other "racing" perfomance pads in the same price bracket.

I think there are (must be) plenty of likes and dislikes for every pad, the only 100% rave reviews I have seen are for pads that cost 200 -250 and I can't remember what they are now.

I have driven a couple of cars with floating AP disks\calipers and it's like night and day the braking difference, advantage and best of all confidence these give you.

Yes that's the bottom line, there are better/more respected pads for the money. On my old Evo 8 I used performance friction which were fantastic but made a racket day to day but the car nearly did endo's!

Going to try these next in the clio, I had the standard Road & Sport ones in my old clio and they were great:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350800461783?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Very good price too

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
I had DS2500's on before and I fitted OE Brembo's last night. I'll give them a good test over the weekend and report back!

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I have just had to replace my front pads and I have kept with yellow stuff again as I have been impressed with them especially with the abuse they have had. 3 road rallies, 2 trackdays, 4 sprints, 1 hillclimb and a bit of road mileage. Discs were still in good condition too.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I run EBC Redstuff and Brembo Max grooved discs on the road and its awesome.

Never had any issues yet and my car gets a proper hammering and does a lot of miles. They bit from cold nicely and once they have a bit of heat in them they are fantastic. I would happily buy them again no problem at all.

Ah forgot about the discs - used red stuff and then yellow stuff pads since I got the car March 2011 and I've still got the same front Brembo HC discs that I fitted March 2011 - the wear is really next to nothing (not sure you'd get the same wear rate with different (more agressive pads)) I may not even change until just before the start of the 2014 season, only if I need too. That'll mean 3 years of use if I change March 2014 if not longer.

2006 Clio 197
I have used Red Stuff for my last two pad changes, so the current quality seems good. The Red Stuff pads definitely have higher friction than the standard pads. A previous rear set had fallen apart but I put that down to the rear brakes sticking, i.e. when you start off, the rear pads are stuck on the disc and then they free themselves with a small bang....

406 V6, Race Buggy
Interested to hear your experiances, as would the rest of the forum I'd expect.

Blue NDX's made a decent road pad on my 306, but when I did fade them they left deposits all over the discs.
They weren't bad for fast road use though, wouldn't have like to test them hard on the track however.