ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Part Numbers Needed - Airbag problems

Clio 1.2 16v
This is my first post on here so congrats for a great forum.

I have a problem with airbag and service light showing on the dash. I know this is commonly found to be caused by a bad connector under the passenger seat but I have run a diagnostic and have found the problem is coming from the drivers airbag area.

DF072 Drivers front active airbag circuit 1,open circuit.
DF071 Drivers front active airbag circuit 2,open circuit.

To cut a long story short I am hedging my bets on the circular switch/clockspring - also called drivers airbag squib being faulty. I doubt if its the airbag itself. Anyway I aim to replace this and ideally what I want to know is the part number of the squib in my vehicle. Its a 2006 (not the newest shape) 1.2 16v - no cruise control. As far as I can make out its a Mk 2 Ph 3.

Anyway what I was hoping was that someone here had access to the Renault Net system. I was hoping to run my VIN and see what part no squib is fitted to the car without pulling the whole thing apart to find it. I did take the airbag off and also removed the steering wheel. The squib has 3 connectors - green, red (or orange) and grey. Problem is I could not get to see the part no without pulling more of it apart and I hoped I had enough info from the 3 connectors to identify the squib and so I put the car back together for the time being.

Now I see there are at least two and maybe three part nos associated with this squib with 3 connectors - Doh!!! :(

It would help a lot if anyone has access to Renault Net so I can run the VIN or even shed some light on whether either of these part nos will do the job anyway. I do not want to go to Renault as they are quoting an arm and a leg and will not tell me the part nos to boot!

Any help gratefully received.

Clio 1.2 16v
Update on this: I have eventually got the part number of the squib that is currently in the car from Renault. After several phonecalls to different dealers I eventually got someone willing to help. Part no. is 7701051757

However, I am having trouble finding it second hand in this exact number. Ebay is coming down with these airbag squibs but the nearest part no. I can see that looks like it might work because it has the exact same switches connected to it for lights (front and rear fogs) and also the wiper control arm is the same as mine is 8200058670.

Anyone have experience with changing these and whether they are interchangeable or can recommend a source for 7701051757.

Renault want around £150 for a new one and can whistle for it!

Clio 1.2 16v
Final update for anyone interested in this - it may be of help to someone with the same type of problem.

First off - the problem is fixed. No more airbag light showing on the dash!! The fault was indeed in found to be the clockspring wiring - so in my case these fault codes do indeed point to this as the cause of the problem. The wiring of the clockspring was completely snapped inside when I removed it.

I managed to source a replacement on ebay for around £25 all inclusive of delivery - however I had a lot of trouble sourcing the correct part number second hand which brings me to the point of my original post about interchangeability of these clockspring parts. What I did was made sure that the stalk switches - lights and indicators etc on the repacement part were the exact same as already fitted to my car. Example - my car has front fogs and trip computer so I made sure these were the same on the replacement unit.
The part I got was 8200058682 which I figured was nearest to what I had and thankfully all went well - connections were all the same and it fitted perfectly. I will not go through the installation here except to say it is vital to ensure that the new clockspring rotary switch is centered and wheels are straight when installing the replacement part. This is a circular switch device and the wiring spools out when you turn the steering wheel. It will be stretched and snapped at full steering lock if it is not centred properly.

Anyway my airbag light is now off. Computer did not require resetting or anything. Excellent result!!

So finally to answer my own question - there is interchangeability between these part numbers - just be careful to get the same type of stalk switches attached to the clockspring unit to ensure maximum chance of compatibility of the centre switch itself to your car. It may also be useful to someone with these trouble codes of DF072 and DF071 triggering an airbag light to know that the clockspring is a prime suspect in this situation.