ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC Help:8gb ram showing 3.50 useable...

Ive just upgraded my 4gb of ram with another matching 4gb's to have 8gb total... photoshop was maxing at 98% on load so i thought id get some more... installed and turned on but in system props its showing 8gb but only 3.50gb useable...

Google told me people running 32bit windows can have problems but im running 64bit

another thread said make sure memory remap is enabled and it is...

Under enabled it saids: PCI MMIO allocation: 4gb to 3584mb...

the board is Asus p7p55d e lx, the ram is G-Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz Ripjaws Memory Kit CL7(7-8-7-24) 1.6V

^ thats the original ram... the new ram is exactly the same spec but it says 1.65v

Any help please?

Untitled-1-6.jpg

MK3 PH2 1.2
Might be that your motherboard can't register or handle more than 4g/3.5? Have you upgraded the RAM yourself or did it come as that?

Smo

I think its a bios setting possibly, its my own build and not that old... im fairly sure i flashed the bios when i got the new board after the old board was fried due to a water spillage... the bios version is V02.61 ill check if its the new one in a min...

It should be able to again its a new-ish build...

Yep the board can support: 4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)*/1600/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

And im runing 1 matched pair with the first spec i posted, then exactly the same matched pair with matching spec only difference in the 1.65v and the old is 1.6v

my version is V.02.61

I thought id updated the BIOS when i installed the new board but i cant tell if ive got the new version of it?

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7P55DE_LX/#download

Ooft i couldnt be arsed with a fresh install... takes me ages swapping data about to other drives and reinstalling programs, rather suffer with less ram... ill try swapping the modules about and updating the BIOS

Just swapped the pairs around... no change...

Memory remap is currently disabled...

Ok i have linux on Hirens boot cd i think... ill try that.

(the linux bit is because i just posted it on bit tech forums too see if i can get any light shed... going to try linux in abit

Pain in the arseeeee!

Heres the 1 of the old and the new ram (1.65 module is the newer)

DSC_0121.gif

RS6 C7
Are you running the right bit windows? i had this exact problem, if you run 32bit you only get like half the ram available, 64 bit you get it all!

All sorted now :)

Yeah i am, im running 64bit so its the right one for max ram...

So after some googling i checked msconfig> boot> advanced... made sure it was unticked maximum memory..

Restarted, nothing... then went into bios again and made sure it was enabled... now i have 8gb and 7.5gb available :)

I dont know if it should be full but i think its working perfectly now, slightly faster and my desktop gadget is showing 21% at start instead of 49%

Thanks for the support :)

Edit again:

I had maximum memory TICKED... so i unticked it like said rebooted and got the full 8gb

Thank god for that!

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
All sorted now :)

Yeah i am, im running 64bit so its the right one for max ram...

So after some googling i checked msconfig> boot> advanced... made sure it was unticked maximum memory..

Restarted, nothing... then went into bios again and made sure it was enabled... now i have 8gb and 7.5gb available :)

I dont know if it should be full but i think its working perfectly now, slightly faster and my desktop gadget is showing 21% at start instead of 49%

Thanks for the support :)

Edit again:

I had maximum memory TICKED... so i unticked it like said rebooted and got the full 8gb

Thank god for that!

A weird BIOS setting that? I did think that the BIOS could have been mirroring the memory (effectively giving you 4GB maximum with 8GB installed) - but that's much more of a server feature than a home PC one.

Why would the mobo manufacturer provide a method for halfing the memory? :S

D.

A weird BIOS setting that? I did think that the BIOS could have been mirroring the memory (effectively giving you 4GB maximum with 8GB installed) - but that's much more of a server feature than a home PC one.

Why would the mobo manufacturer provide a method for halfing the memory? :S

D.

I read it was something to do with allocating it to other areas, mainly dedicated video memory... my graphics card only has 256mb on board... but it baffled me too...