ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC People Help Please!

Cupra
Me too! Waiting for the delivery is going to be a biaatch. Just had a mail from the shop to say that some of my kit is out of stock too... bugger. I was itching to get started on it before the weekend.

Punto/Clio GTT
gfx - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-054-OK
mobo,ram,cpu - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-037-OK&tool=3
psu - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-018-OK&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=
dvdrw - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CD-086-SA&groupid=701&catid=10&subcat=185
case - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-000-GI&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=903

as for the psu, its got good reviews, ive had couple people tell me that itll be fine, couple people say go for a more known name, ill just take the chance with it, for half the price if it blows up ill buy another, if it dont, then cool cool.

is it a good system? like can i claim i got a badass pc now? :D

Punto/Clio GTT
never bothered with sound really, i never have sound on in games apart from counterstrike and then i have my headset on.

T

thecremeegg

In terms of building the PC, its quite simple tbh.

I usually put the DVD drives and hard drives and power supply in place first as they are often impossible to remove once the motherboards in (found out the hard way a few times lol)then put in the motherboard.

You then need to seat the CPU and heatsink (instructions are provided, though its simply a case of lining things up and pushing in). Some people prefer to assemble these before puttin the motherboard in place, which tbh is often easier, be careful to use non conductive gloves and place it on the foam provided to stop it shorting out.

After these are in, add the RAM and graphics card, then you'll need to wire it up.
This should be quite straightforward, refer to your motherboard manual to find out where fans etc are plugged in. The big power plug to the motherboard is obvious, and the SATA power cables are also unique.

Overall, as you said you have some expereince it should be quite straightforward :)

If anyone else remembers somethin i forgot feel free to add it

Cupra
Arctic Freezer 7 PRO
Seagate 320 GB SAT2 3320620AS
Antec Performance One P182B ATX
Intel E6600 775 2400 BOX1066 4M
Foxcon 320 D3 X 8800GTS-OC VT2D R
Geil DDR2 2GB 800-444 K2 GEI
Asus P5B Delux. P965 F RG SA
Enermax Liberty 500W ATX2

pretty similar to yours!

Punto/Clio GTT
Arctic Freezer 7 PRO

pretty similar to yours!

de ja vu

nice build ;)

Punto/Clio GTT
In terms of building the PC, its quite simple tbh.

I usually put the DVD drives and hard drives and power supply in place first as they are often impossible to remove once the motherboards in (found out the hard way a few times lol)then put in the motherboard.

You then need to seat the CPU and heatsink (instructions are provided, though its simply a case of lining things up and pushing in). Some people prefer to assemble these before puttin the motherboard in place, which tbh is often easier, be careful to use non conductive gloves and place it on the foam provided to stop it shorting out.

After these are in, add the RAM and graphics card, then you'll need to wire it up.
This should be quite straightforward, refer to your motherboard manual to find out where fans etc are plugged in. The big power plug to the motherboard is obvious, and the SATA power cables are also unique.

Overall, as you said you have some expereince it should be quite straightforward :)

If anyone else remembers somethin i forgot feel free to add it

cheers, only thing im worried about is the setup and now this thermal paste stuff and the fitment of the cpu/heatsink

Cupra
Same to you. :)

Edit: I was wondering about that too. I read an article about it though and it does not sound too tricky... I hope.

T

thecremeegg

Thermal paste comes with the CPU and cooler (wel it should do, did with my C2D), so thats easy. Its already applied so all you do is put the cooler on the CPU and bobs ur uncle :)

Setup can be tricky, and it can also be easy, depends on how lucky you are lol.
Usually you power it up and all going well it should POST and detect your hard drives and DVD drive. Put the windows disk in and it should boot. If not you'll need to change the boot priortiy in the BIOS, set it to boot from DVD first, then hard drive.
This is what should happen. If it doesnt boot up, check everythings firmly in place etc, and take note of the number of beeps it gives. Somebody will be able to help im sure :)

Evo 6, E92 320d
right, wen uve got the buildin of it sorted(should be a breeze) we'll talk u through overclocking :) the cpu u got is a corker for it, should get 2.6 ghz from it np with stock cooling, maybe even more.
In future though def go for a respected psu brand, i had no end of system reboots with a generic 500watt ebuyer jobby, then wen i upgraded to an sli mobo...dont get me started

T

thecremeegg

Lol well ive got an arctic cooler pro 7 on my pc, and its running at 3.2GHz (was an e6400 @ 2.14Ghz stock). Runs pretty cool even under load, im very happy with it. These core 2's are amazing for overclocking, and thats just on my P5B vanilla board, not renound for its OC abilities lol

Cupra
^^ That is positive to hear! Same cooler as I have ordered and I have the E6600... with the P5B Delux. That should mean that I can reach 3.2 without breaking a sweat then?

172 Cup
Just placed my C2D order as well.

Ended up going for an E2160 which may seem a strange choice but there's method in my madness. With the current stepping codes 3.2ghz is achievable and more importantly Intel's new price structure is launched on July 22nd when the Quad cores (Q6600) come down to £150-£180 . As the 2160 only cost me £50 I'll sell it for pretty much the same amount and get a nice new Q6600 at the start of August.

Evo 6, E92 320d
im pretty sure the custom pc guys overclocked their e6600 to 4ghz stable with air cooling! thats insane. next pc im def buildin around intel, since their prices become more realistic they such gd value now, b4 amd were so cheap but now its pretty even

Black Gold 182 (Cup Pack)
Arctic Freezer 7 PRO

pretty similar to yours!

do you mind me asking you how much this all cost? semms a preeety nice setup

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Should I buy A or B?

If you don't know enough to know whether A or B was best, by definition you'll never know if you bought the wrong one.

Psychologists tell us there are two sorts of people. There are the people who put huge effort into getting every decision right, and worry endlessly whether they did. And there are the people who make what seems like the best decision at the time, and make the best of it. The psychologists tell us its the latter group of people who are far happier and more satisfied.

Cupra
Arctic Freezer 7 PRO

pretty similar to yours!

do you mind me asking you how much this all cost? semms a preeety nice setup

Sure, it was just over 1000 Euros = 700 ish pounds.

Cupra
Should I buy A or B?

If you don't know enough to know whether A or B was best, by definition you'll never know if you bought the wrong one.

Psychologists tell us there are two sorts of people. There are the people who put huge effort into getting every decision right, and worry endlessly whether they did. And there are the people who make what seems like the best decision at the time, and make the best of it. The psychologists tell us its the latter group of people who are far happier and more satisfied.

Very deep but ....eh?????

Punto/Clio GTT
Should I buy A or B?

Very deep but ....eh?????

i thought that too :S

Punto/Clio GTT
came today, built it, only problem is i gotta reformat my harddrive so currently burnin off essentials like photos n that.

but plugged it in, popped in vista, started setting up, not 1 problem.

putting it together was very very easy, no problems with anything.

only bad thing i did was trying to remove the metal blanking plates from inside the pc here the dvd drive goes, ive twisted, twisted n pulled and my hands caught 2 spikes, straight through, 4 cuts, 1 could do with a stitch but itll heal i guess.

apart from that fine!

great case aswell, cheers for recommending it, looks mint

T

thecremeegg

Cool glad to hear it went smoothly! my builds never do usually, normally something screws up lol

And DutchRS, 3Ghz is easily achievable :D

Punto/Clio GTT
balls, ok came to a problem.

put vista in, it goes through set up, asks what drive i want to install vista on, choose my harddrive and this comes up

Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets the criteria for installation.

and thats it, tried reformatting the drive, tried switching ide cables, made sure thyere in properly.

ideas?

Cupra
You are further than me... mine also arrived today. It is sitting proudly in the neighbours hallway and each time I go around to knock on their door to ask for it, I get to look at the shiney boxes, but they have fucked off for the evening!

Bugger.

Cupra
@ FM-AVA-696: You have checked all the Bios settings etc, and the jumpers on the back of the HD are correct?

Punto/Clio GTT
had a skim through the bios settings, dunno really what i should be looking for.

tried jumper on master, tried it on cable select

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
came today, built it, only problem is i gotta reformat my harddrive so currently burnin off essentials like photos n that.

but plugged it in, popped in vista, started setting up, not 1 problem.

putting it together was very very easy, no problems with anything.

only bad thing i did was trying to remove the metal blanking plates from inside the pc here the dvd drive goes, ive twisted, twisted n pulled and my hands caught 2 spikes, straight through, 4 cuts, 1 could do with a stitch but itll heal i guess.

apart from that fine!

great case aswell, cheers for recommending it, looks mint

glad you like the case, the blue lights are very bright so don't put your eyes directly in fornt of them lol yeah i found removing the blank for the cd rom difficult but sounds like you managed it ;) the front of the case is a nice design and finished to a high standard. plus it has some big fans on it as standard.

balls, ok came to a problem.

put vista in, it goes through set up, asks what drive i want to install vista on, choose my harddrive and this comes up

Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets the criteria for installation.

and thats it, tried reformatting the drive, tried switching ide cables, made sure thyere in properly.

ideas?

hmmmm have you got a picture of what it actually says? does it come up with any fault numbers at all?

Punto/Clio GTT
just a set up screen where i choose which driver to use, only one in list is my harddrive, so i click that, then theres options if i wanna format or refresh or next.

tried format and it reformatted it.

when i click next it dont go to a next screen it just comes up

with a exclamation in a yellow triangle

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
have you tried googling the text it comes up with?

may lead to people with similiar problems.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
https://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=712110&SiteID=17

''I had the same problem, I installed Vista Beta 1 & 2 no problems, but when I came to install CR1 I got the message "windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation". I have 2 HD one is SATA.... Vista won't detect my SATA drive as the drivers aren't compatible (although I found a work around explained later).

So here I am at the install screen with only one HD showing, its empty and just been formatted but still showing the same error message.

It turns out that the problem was that it was not the primary boot device in my BIOS (I had my CD drive that I was booting off set as primary). Seems strange, but as soon as I changed it, it worked. I guess you don't need a CD drive set to primary anyway, as it will try to boot from the HD, fail because it's empty then boot from CD. Not sure how that would work in the case of an upgrade tho!

Now that windows is installed, I set about trying to get it to detect my SATA HD. I'm using a Promise controller and driver support has never been that good. I tried a few and finally got it to work with a Windows NT driver. It's not ideal, but it seems to work. My friend had the same issue and got his to work with a 64bit driver!''

sound fimilair to your spec re the HD's and version of vista?