ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC spec help

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Hi guys,

I'm ordering a new PC for my trading over xmas and the people at the below shop said this would cope nicely with my trading requirements:

http://www.gr-tek.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=Corei5MultiLCD

I've specced with Windows 7 64 bit, uprated nVidia graphics card, 1 TB Hard disk and 4 GB of ram.

I'll be running 4-6 monitors and have quite a lot of charts open so need some fast processing.

Thoughts?

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Not that way inclined. These guys will build it to a spec given on those options and will ship it for free and 2 yr warranty. Need something reliable as I'll be using it for my living.

mx5 & 172
some nvidia quadro cards (used to be quadro NVS) support upwards of 4 monitors (up to 16 in come cases iirc) so I'd try for one of those.

Dell make machines set up for this sort of stuff - assuming they deliver out your way I'd strongly recommend looking at them. The quality of the workstations is very good compared to the usual consumer level crap (ie. mediocre compared to a mac pro)

I have no idea what an aussie dollar is worth but I'd imagine prices are comparable

If you check their outlet centre you may get lucky and find a real bargain (I saved well over a grand on my last 3d workstation).

Monaro VXR
What kinds of programs are you running.

How time sensitive is it? Will you need programs to launch as quickly as possible or will they be loaded up once and that's it? Or is it a case of opening and closing things as and when you need them?

Will you likely ever need to go beyond 6 monitors?

Need some more information about your usage requirements. As they might be quite high and 4GB ram just isn't enough now for a start. If you need programs to open quickly that you might need on an off chance than an SSD is going to be a good bet as well.

The ATI Eyefinity 6 cards can run 6 monitors from a single card as well. So worth a look. Not as expensive as the Quadro cards and you don't really need a card like that for the work you are likely doing.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
What kinds of programs are you running.

How time sensitive is it? Will you need programs to launch as quickly as possible or will they be loaded up once and that's it? Or is it a case of opening and closing things as and when you need them?

Will you likely ever need to go beyond 6 monitors?

Need some more information about your usage requirements. As they might be quite high and 4GB ram just isn't enough now for a start. If you need programs to open quickly that you might need on an off chance than an SSD is going to be a good bet as well.

The ATI Eyefinity 6 cards can run 6 monitors from a single card as well. So worth a look. Not as expensive as the Quadro cards and you don't really need a card like that for the work you are likely doing.

This for definite. The nVidias are extremely capable cards, but I suspect a little OTT for simply displaying multiple charts etc, like you mentioned. Such cards are high-end graphics intensive bits of kit, designed for things like shading, lighting, and polygon rendering.

I'd PM Sharky UK if I were you as he's been around such cards for years. He's probably got a good few suggestions to give. :)

D.