ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pearl Black 172 Detail

Clio 172
I decided to give the clio a detail this weekend as weather was good and the mrs was working. Still learning alot by rotary so only achieved 80-85% correction. I was pleased with the results though.
Products used:

Autobrite lambswool wash mitt
Autobrite drying towel
Tardis
Autosmart Smart Wheels
Autobrite Clay
Megs Final touch detailer
3D APC
Sim180 Rotary
3M Fastcut plus
3M Ultrafina
3M Yellow polishing and Blue finishing pads
Jetseal 109
Chemical Guys Pete's 53
Megs Applicator
Dodo Supernatural finger applicator
Microfibres

Washed the car using 2BM and some Zymol Autowash
29042011241.JPG
Which left me with
29042011238.JPG
Then got the tardis out and attacked the bottom of the doors, sills and other affected areas. Then it was time for claying. The car was pretty good actually wioth only the bottom of the doors and sills really being contaminated. Worst of it left the clay like this.
30042011248.JPG
Car was the washed again and dried.
I knew the car had quite a few swirls and slight holograms. Couldnt get a picture though on my phone camera (tried before) so i got some the night before under my security light. General idea of how the car was.
29042011244.JPG29042011245.JPG29042011243.JPG29042011242.JPG
After playing with a few pad/polish combos I found that 3M Fastcut plus was giving me the best results on a yellow 3M polishing pad. I did this over the whole car with various numbers of passes depending on how bad the swirls/holograms were. Refined after with 3M ultrafina on a blue 3M Pad. Some 50/50 and final photos below of the results.
30042011257.JPG30042011254.JPG30042011253.JPG30042011252.JPG30042011251.JPG
Car was then washed again to remove polish
30042011262.JPG30042011261.JPG
And then dried again. Next up was 2 coats of Jetseal109 on a megs applicator
30042011263.JPG
Followed by 2 coats of Pete's 53 on a dodo finger mitt
02052011269.JPG
Final Shots and a beading shot
30042011259.JPG01052011264.JPG30042011249.JPG17102010125.JPG30042011250.JPG01052011267.JPG30042011260.JPG
Sorry about the poor write up and lack of/quality of pictures. It my 1st ever write up though and only my 3rd ever full detail and paint correction. Hope you like anyway.
Thanks for reading

STEALTH RAIDER
How did you get your pics to enlarge when you click them? Is it through photobucket? Cheers, Lew

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
The pictures are attached/embedded on the site Lew.

Rather than pasting the link into the upload from url, they have been uploaded directly to the site, by the looks of it

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Cracking finish achieved mate, very rewarding colour to detail as you know.

Maybe spend a little more time with the tardis instead of going staright to the clay mate, the less tar on the clay the better. :D

Clio 172
The pictures are attached/embedded on the site Lew.

Rather than pasting the link into the upload from url, they have been uploaded directly to the site, by the looks of it
This
Cracking finish achieved mate, very rewarding colour to detail as you know.

Maybe spend a little more time with the tardis instead of going staright to the clay mate, the less tar on the clay the better. :D

Yeah cheers gally. I put the tardis on and let it do its thing, it stopped running so i rinsed it and did it again so assumed it was all gone lol. Some of the s**t on the clay was the bottom side of the skirts and betwwen the skirt and the door. Yes it is a very rewarding colour to detail. the amount of flake visible now is great. As said it aint perfect as its only my 3rd full detail with the rotary and im still learning pad/polish combo's etc. I was extremely happy with the results though. The bad back i had after a day with the polisher however :dapprove: lol

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
After spraying the tardis on and leaving to work for a few minutes you should wife off with an MF cloth not rinse, then apply again if you know it has a lot of tar, wipe again then wash or snow foam before claying. :)

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Done a cracking job there mate ! Love the glint on these, will have to get round to doing mine :)

Black Sheep
great job. I also have a pearl black 172. I detailed it a couple of months ago with black hole ect but now i want to get rid of the swirling, can you tell me how you went about this on yours in detail so I can follow on:D cheers

Clio 172
great job. I also have a pearl black 172. I detailed it a couple of months ago with black hole ect but now i want to get rid of the swirling, can you tell me how you went about this on yours in detail so I can follow on:D cheers

Tested a few pad/polish combo's on the rotary polisher to see what was gonna give me the best results, did as many passes as i thought it needed on every panel until I got the best result i could (although i was careful as I dont have a PDG yet so didn't know how every pass was affecting the microns) refined the panels with a lighter pad/polish combo, washed the residue of the polish off then sealed and waxed the car

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Looks good rich, fancy doin mine? Lol I had a bash with mine before I went the ring last week but I just ain't got the patience to get it perfect

Clio 172
Looks good rich, fancy doin mine? Lol I had a bash with mine before I went the ring last week but I just ain't got the patience to get it perfect

How much of a bash do u want me to have lol? I got mine as correct as I could and it was about a day and a half job. Thats with about 8 hours on the rotary. Obviously just an enhancement would be less time