ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph1 172 megane 225 conversion questions?

172 ph1
I know this has been brought up alot but after searching i cant find any solid proof as to how easy/hard this is to do and roughly how much is it to carry out?

i have recently bought an 03 plate s3 but kept my ph1 and after driving the s3 for few month im already bored and feel drawn back to the bloody clio lol :) please help a brother out!

Dan

I know this has been brought up alot but after searching i cant find any solid proof as to how easy/hard this is to do and roughly how much is it to carry out?

i have recently bought an 03 plate s3 but kept my ph1 and after driving the s3 for few month im already bored and feel drawn back to the bloody clio lol :) please help a brother out!

Dan

Use a ph1 gearbox and flywheel setup and drill and tap the megane block and all mounts will bolt up.
You need an adapter plate to make the ph1 throttle body fit. And a bracket for the crank posistion sensor. A clio dci map sensor is plug and play so that will be fine.
Can get a 225 down pipe from rs tuning that sits close enough to the manifold that it doesn't hit the master cylinder, however adequate heat shielding is advised.

ph1 standard ecu can be mapped to run or go standalone to get full potential out of it.

Lionel Richie
the 225/230 box fits, just need custom drivesahfts (which we should have a available in the next few weeks!)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
the 225/230 box fits, just need custom drivesahfts (which we should have a available in the next few weeks!)

I'm assuming the gearbox mount needs work, a hydraulic clutch conversion and fitting the 6 speed gear linkage and cables too?

172 ph1
brilliant thanks alot lads how much roughly would i be looking at for the whole job...the project would probably be done in a garage and work carried out by myself and a friend

Lionel Richie
upper mounts are easy, dogbone isn't that hard

ta dar!
20130318_171714_zps06f8a781.jpg

53 Clio's & counting
I can guess who's car that is ;) was meant to have a nosey at it, need to come back and see you me thinks

BG182FF
Are the 225 boxes a lot stronger than the jc5's? Was thinking in terms of fitting one to a boosted 280hp+ F4R..

182 trackday racer
well the JC5 struggles with 170bhp LOL the ND0 will take 350+ all day long

Interesting. What kind of ECU will you use? How much would a full conversion set me back? Need a R26 box with differential. Pm me if you are able to give an estimate.

Saab Turbo X
Any news on driveshafts?

So does the f4rt engine mount to the same mounts used on the Clio 172? , and if the jc5 box was used it would.make the job easier, yes?

Also above, it's said the ph1 172 Ecu could be mapped to make it work, so would a ph2 be ok too? Would any standalone Ecu work?

Saab Turbo X
​Do this if you want easier.

But forging the 172 engine would cost as much as buying a meg. 225 engine, then all the other bits on top would surely cost much more, a 225 engine is around 1k, then another £500-1000 for pipe work and exhaust parts, and 300-1k for mapping depending on what route you choose.

And don't forget you can then sell the 1*2 engine and recover costs

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
But forging the 172 engine would cost as much as buying a meg. 225 engine, then all the other bits on top would surely cost much more, a 225 engine is around 1k, then another £500-1000 for pipe work and exhaust parts, and 300-1k for mapping depending on what route you choose.

And don't forget you can then sell the 1*2 engine and recover costs

either way it won't be cheap, but it would be cheaper/less hassle to forge a f4r.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
well you're pissing in the wind using the JC5, it will go bang - that's not optional

Yeah, just a case of how soon, Im probably only going to do 6-10 trackdays a year and a few thousand road miles a year in my turbo for example, as we have a couple of other cars we will use too, so even if the box only lasts a dozen trackdays at that rate it will still be about 18 months, and it doesnt really bother me if every 18 months I replace the box TBH, makes it seem not worth the hassle and expense of converting to a different box.

If I was using it lots more though and especially if I was also relying on it for work I'd want the JC5 gone.

Clio 182
Just looked up on this I'm nearly done on my conversion and I'm have a problem with de cat pipe hitting the cylinder is it the 3" people from rs tuning that misses the cylinder? If it's so I don't mind paying £200 to sort the problem