ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph1 172 Vs ph2 172/182

Clio 182
Well after selling my RB 182 CUP over 2 years ago (stupid mistake) I've decided to come back to the clio world, BUT I have a problem.

Which model to get.

Now for the money, you cant beat a ph1, but the half eaten steering wheel and dated looks put be off.

Then there is the moden, crisp looking 182, which I know is a very good car.

But then I stupidly lol I had a go of a ph1 172 and honestly didnt think there much differene, how wrong could I be.

Throttle response is 10 times better, handles just as well if not better, bit like an old fashioned peugeot.

So if you had to pick which one would it be and why?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Phase 1 because if you can un-earth a decent example you will save yourself a fortune and have as much fun as if you bought a 182.

Shortly will be the haters of the Interior but i didnt buy mine for interior comforts...

Clio 182
Valid point, maybe the original spot is the best?

Main problem is that 99.9% of them are silver and me and silver cars do not go together!

Buy the time you buy a 182, coilovers, filter, exhaust, inlets matched and a remap, you could probably have all that done in a ph1 for the price of a 182!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Ive got an iceberg Phase one and couldnt be happier with it.

Its 8 years old on 59k and ive only ever had to replace a coil pack and thats it, its been very good to me *touch wood*

I wont ever be selling it.

Are you looking to buy? Budget?

Clio 182
Yeah am defo looking to buy, well a decent ph1 by the looks of it go for the region of 2k to 3600, thats probs what I am looking at spending, any higher and for that price you can get a ph2.

Clio 182
Should have said not black lol or silver.

Got to be blue or red, or even yellow.

Am not picky honest lol

Lionel Richie
the phs1 is the most fun, i'm turning mine into a minter slowly slowly, brand new wheel on order from renault :(

330Ci Clubsport
I went to see a 172 ph1 and a 182 and the difference was staggering. 182 felt so much more urgent etc. Maybe it was just a bad 172

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Quick question Fred

How much do Reno rip your eyes out for a new steering wheel?
You can get the wheel retrimmed in leather cheap.
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=395478&highlight=wheel+retrim+leather
I prefer ph1's, more fun imo.
SDC10116.jpg

Trophy Turbo :)
the mk1 clio 172 looks s**t from the back, looks like a 1,2 8v with colour coded bump strips. Stick a mk2 172 rear bumper on and you have the smartest looking cs made :)

Oh well apart from the Williams :)

Clio 182
But that can be good though Andy alittle 1.2 badge on the side and most Chav's wont know what it is lol

Trophy #473
I too was of the belief the ph1 172 was the better 1*2 after owning a ph1 for 3 years. I now own a Trophy and albeit the seats and suspension are a million times better I can safely say that my 182 is loads better than my 172. With regards to Throttle response, FBW isnt even noticable.

The only benifits I can see for getting a ph1 would be a) because they look cool b) they are the same speed as a 182. That is it.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I too was of the belief the ph1 172 was the better 1*2 after owning a ph1 for 3 years. I now own a Trophy and albeit the seats and suspension are a million times better I can safely say that my 182 is loads better than my 172. With regards to Throttle response, FBW isnt even noticable.

The only benifits I can see for getting a ph1 would be a) because they look cool b) they are the same speed as a 182. That is it.
Throttle response is better in the ph1, no doubt. And it's immediately noticeable.
Have you owned a 182? Or just the Trophy?

I love the PH1's, although mine might be up for sale soon as im needing something a bit bigger :(

I when for a drive yesterday and no joke, i was really sad at the thought of selling it.

So torn its unreal!

Yeah, just the kinda of dated looks is the only off putting thing.
TBH mate i think the PH1 sitting at the perfect ride height is soooooo lush!

The way i see it, the PH1 doesnt need PH2 bumpers as it was the original, the begining of the Renaultsport brand in clio's.

Original is best!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I love my ph1, the front end just looks more aggressive in my eyes, like a propper sport should

The ammount of people that have came up to me in the last 2 weeks and said they much prefer the ph1 to the ph2 is unbelievable

Ph2 rear lights, ph2 side strips and colour coded handles and you've sorted out what renault should have already done in the first place

Plus the mods you've stated you had planned you're definately onto a winner

Renaultsport Clio 172 ph1
What's wrong with me? I really don't see the problem with the PH1 interior, apart from the steering wheel. I think its reasonably modern, yes there are no toys but who needs them. You get aircon and and ABS, what more do you need, really? This is a car that is designed to be piloted, Its urgent and twitchy and you need to concentrate to get the most out of it, not play with cruise control. ;) .I'm 6'2 and there's plenty of space for me, I don't feel perched up on the seat like some people say. This is a hot hatch, not a low down 2 seater sports car.

You get white dials, a funky dark blue and grey dash, an nicely crafted, solid alloy gear knob, lovely dark blue leather and grey alcantara and seats with the Renaultsport script and logo emblazoned brightly on the backs. Looks a lot better in the flesh than in photographs IMO I love the fact that it has its idiosyncrasies, that its French, they couldn't be bothered to change the wipers over or the engine release lever, the steering wheel is slightly too big and thin like the sports cars of old.

Less electrics, less to go wrong. Throttle cable, Better airbox, OZ F1 alloys as standard in the right size: 15 (instead of the dynamic look ph2 172 alloys).

From the front, there is no question that this is an RS with its aggressive looking air intakes on the bumper and the wider wings, the dual projector headlights add to this. OK, from the back its nothing special but that's the surprise! Its a Q car from the back and some drivers get to see that when they try sticking to your bumper.

I love it, a retro classic, get one. ;)

What's wrong with me? I really don't see the problem with the PH1 interior, apart from the steering wheel. I think its reasonably modern, yes there are no toys but who needs them. You get aircon and and ABS, what more do you need, really? This is a car that is designed to be piloted, Its urgent and twitchy and you need to concentrate to get the most out of it, not play with cruise control. ;) .I'm 6'2 and there's plenty of space for me, I don't feel perched up on the seat like some people say. This is a hot hatch, not a low down 2 seater sports car.

You get white dials, a funky dark blue and grey dash, an nicely crafted, solid alloy gear knob, lovely dark blue leather and grey alcantara and seats with the Renaultsport script and logo emblazoned brightly on the backs. Looks a lot better in the flesh than in photographs IMO I love the fact that it has its idiosyncrasies, that its French, they couldn't be bothered to change the wipers over or the engine release lever, the steering wheel is slightly too big and thin like the sports cars of old.

Less electrics, less to go wrong. Throttle cable, Better airbox, OZ F1 alloys as standard in the right size: 15 (instead of the dynamic look ph2 172 alloys).

From the front, there is no question that this is an RS with its aggressive looking air intakes on the bumper and the wider wings, the dual projector headlights add to this. OK, from the back its nothing special but that's the surprise! Its a Q car from the back and some drivers get to see that when they try sticking to your bumper.

I love it, a retro classic, get one. ;)

Just as he said TBH.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I dont get people that greet about the interior!!

Who can honestly say they bought it for that specific purpose exactly? If you like a nice place to sit then buy a BMW!

53 Clio's & counting
Its funny, the PH1 looks like a 1.2 from behind, and the PH2 looks like a 1.2 from the front :quiet:

Clio 182
Think Pretty much my mind is made up

Its hard to find a mint yellow one with low miles, same goes for an exclusive that aint stupidly over priced

Well i did have a carbon cupra spiltter on it, but i got fed up with it and was wanting a cup/carbon spiltter.

8d3b6845.jpg

7c7f46ce.jpg

But couldnt find one at reasonable money :(