ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 Help

Looking for a ph1 172
Hey been looking at buying a ph1 172 for a while now and iv just got a quick question.
i have never sat in a 172 let alone drive one, however my flat mate has a 106 gti so how do these compare? Im finding it difficult to find any ph1's for sale locally that i can go and test drive.i mean i don't mind travelling to go buy a car just want to avoid travelling long distances to go and drive something i don't like.

Thanks in advance

Chris

I used to have a saxo vts which is very similar to the gti. I've just bought a Ph1 172 and had to go to manchester for it as there was 1 for sale in glasgow but was a bit of a dog.

In comparrison Id say the Clio feels a bit more solid on the road, suspension is def stiffer. To be honest the clio and the saxo were pretty similar but the clio def feels a bit more special when your driving it. More power, better seats, better brakes, handles a bit better as standard, sounds way better A/C as standard.

There are a few buying guides on here mate and id def have a look at them.

good luck!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm sure one of the scottish members wouldn't mind taking you out/letting you have a poke around.

I'm sure one of the scottish members wouldn't mind taking you out/letting you have a poke around.

I've heard that, too.

I thought my old Ph1 172 was very different to the 106GTi that I drove before buying the 172. Both cars were standard and the Peugeot felt sloppy in comparison to the 172. It hadn't been looked after properly in its defense, so that could be why.

Looking for a ph1 172
Yeah i seen one for sale in Glasgow but i had to wait untill i was 21 before i could get insured, and it was a pretty poor ad with not much detail so wasnt all that keen.

Looking for a ph1 172
I thought my old Ph1 172 was very different to the 106GTi that I drove before buying the 172. Both cars were standard and the Peugeot felt sloppy in comparison to the 172. It hadn't been looked after properly in its defense, so that could be why.

Thanks for the reply.

yeah mat it was an X plate in the autotrader with not much info in the ad. The trader assured me it was in excellent condition. Funny how I walked away after looking at it for less than five minutes!!

Looking for a ph1 172
yeah mat it was an X plate in the autotrader with not much info in the ad. The trader assured me it was in excellent condition. Funny how I walked away after looking at it for less than five minutes!!

Must have been the same one. I had my suspicions when there was no mileage in the advert. That always sets alarm bells ringing with me

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I owned a Phase 1 for 18 months and i now have a 106 GTi.

I like the GTi, but i prefer the 172 if im honest.

Although in terms of real world pace there not far away i feel the 172 was a more purpose built car if the makes sense, i love the rawness of each the 106 and the 172 but some how i always find myself looking at 172's again.

The 106 will be for sale in December and ill get another Phase 1