ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 Throttle Cable Replacement...help and advice

PH2 172
cheers for that. want to run proper bearings to keep the spindle from shifting.

Running bearings, even needles, is possibly a bit ambitious & overkill at the same time.

As I read it, what is required is machining the bore to remove any wear caused by the butterfly running off centre, fabrication of a new butterfly to suit new bore diameter, rectifying any wear in the body with new bushes and a new spindle.

The guy on eBay seems to be doing this, but has misjudged the market in terms that he is selling it as a go faster product, not renovation
Another alternative could be http://sucarb.co.uk/restoration-prices
though they have a long lead time, and I`m not sure if their rebush @ £60 includes rebore & sized butterfly, though they are obviously capable.

dan's cast offs.
wear is generally minimum and can be polished out, the butterfly to body fit doesn't need to be airtight. it's generally when the butterfly is pulled to the side towards the spring it sticks on closing.

the downside to bushes is they wear or if they are harder than the spindle that will wear, also gives an airleak. some of the su's i used to rebuild were awful to say the least, 90% of the wear on them was caused by a bad return spring design.

PH2 172
wear is generally minimum and can be polished out, the butterfly to body fit doesn't need to be airtight. it's generally when the butterfly is pulled to the side towards the spring it sticks on closing.

the downside to bushes is they wear or if they are harder than the spindle that will wear, also gives an airleak. some of the su's i used to rebuild were awful to say the least, 90% of the wear on them was caused by a bad return spring design.

FFS , pads & tyre`s don`t last forever.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
FFS , pads & tyre`s don`t last forever.
But you would expect something as intrinsic as a throttle body to last longer than pads and tyres. Would expect 100k miles at least, and most dont make anywhere near that.

Mec 350 slk manual
But you would expect something as intrinsic as a throttle body to last longer than pads and tyres. Would expect 100k miles at least, and most dont make anywhere near that.
Mine done 75k before it started to stick and then I started getting good and bad days with it

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Mine done 75k before it started to stick and then I started getting good and bad days with it

Mines done 84k, and its temperemental as a yo- yo. The replacement is a lot better, but not perfect. Which one i send off to get bored out? ...

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Why isn't there the same problem with the electronic throttle bodies on later 172/182s, I thought the motor is just doing the doing the same thing by operating the butterfly from one side?

PH2 172
And I`m going to live to 120.
I`m 64 today,and have to accept that I`m probably more than halfway through my life.

PH2 172
Why isn't there the same problem with the electronic throttle bodies on later 172/182s, I thought the motor is just doing the doing the same thing by operating the butterfly from one side?
Cos the electrics die 1st