ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 1/phase 2 172 engine differences

LY Megane R26 230
Hi all i've done a search but couldnt find the definative answer so thought i'd ask here.

Are the engines in the phase 1 172's the same as the phase 2 172's?

Im on the look out for a 172 and been offered a phase 2 172 what has sadly snapped its timing belt.Also i have a phase 1 172 engine availible to myself.

Basically will the phase 1 engine go straight into the phase 2 car?i understand that the phase 1 cars are "cable" operated and the phase 2 cars are "live by-wire" operated.

If i was to go ahead with the engine swap what types of problems would i have to overcome?

Many thanks Ash

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Nope.

Electric throttle on the ph-2 and cable throttle on the ph1

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I don't think so mate, its not as simple as that as the throttle body is different.

Will be worth pm-ing Fred as i'm not that good on engines.

Volvo S60 T5
Swop all the bits over from the original engine it should be fine, 182 engines also fit but require a slight mod on the breather system.

BMW M5 & E36
Swap the upper inlet/plenum and throttle body over from the ph2 engine onto the ph1. You'll need to retain the ph2 engine loom too for the DBW.

ITB'd MK1
in terms of fitting, just use the plenum that matches the TB that you need, job done.

The Ph1 cylinder head ports are rather different to the ph2, normally see slightly better power from a ph1

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
in terms of fitting, just use the plenum that matches the TB that you need, job done.

The Ph1 cylinder head ports are rather different to the ph2, normally see slightly better power from a ph1

This is totally true, most milding tuned ones at our RR day the other month made better power than ph2 172's.