ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pistonheads Top 50 Hot-hatches of All Time - Article

330i. E30 Touring.
LOL at a GTi-6 and a 306 Rallye being circa ten places apart.

TBH, i bet most people voting have never even seen an Delta on the roads, let alone driven one!

Flame 172 (Ph2)
I was made up to see my Alfa Romeo 145 Cloverleaf at number 50!

Alfa145.jpg

23rd place for 182?? Terrible.

Is it bizarre that the 172 & 172 Cup is higher up? I've never driven them back to back.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Yeah I thought that. And to list the 172 and 172 cup together is a bizarre thing, seeing as they are different.

I've driven a Delta Evo on a few occasions. Fantastically old school and really good fun, but pretty overrated. Not very quick, 2000rpm powerband, and always feels as though it's falling apart. You wouldn't want to use one as a daily, which is the whole point of hot hatches.

These polls are almost always the result of rose tinted voting - the older the car, the more awesome it is.

Basically, it's all just opinions, skewed by all sorts of bias, and sometimes unjustified reputation.

So, it's basically an UNO Turbo that everyone loves?

The Delta? It's a brilliant car. I'd have one tomorrow if money were no object. They're great, but people quickly forget that hot hatches are supposed to be daily family cars with a bit of poke. In that context, I'd rate a 182 far higher than the Lancia, but I suppose it depends on your frame of reference.

As you already pointed out, how many of the Lancia votes came from people who have even sat in one? Fairly obviously, a pretty small percentage, and thus the whole thing is void. It's interesting reading for sure, but anyone drawing conclusions from the results is clearly very naive.

This one ^ (someday)
How is the Saxo VTS not in there?! And I don't think the V6 is really a hot hatch....

How is the V6 anything but a hot hatch? It's a Renault Clio, with a whacking great engine in it!

I haven't driven enough hot hatches to get the idea, but i'd say a Mk1 GTI is the original and best.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
How is the V6 anything but a hot hatch? It's a Renault Clio, with a whacking great engine in it!

I haven't driven enough hot hatches to get the idea, but i'd say a Mk1 GTI is the original and best.
To me, a hot hatch is a fwd or 4wd front engined car, not a mid engined, rear wheel driven car.

Flame 172 (Ph2)
What would you define a hot hatch?

I personally would say the following:

It should be:
- A hatch back derived from a domestic line of models (Clio 1.2 for example)
- Still has all of the practicality of the derived model (bar ride comfort)
- Affordable (Around or under c£25,000 brand new in todays money; thus making second hand examples reasonable)
- Two wheel drive (I know this point is questionable!)

It should not be:
- A two seater performance car (Clio V6)
- A four wheel drive performance car (Delta Integrale, RS3)
- A saloon (Subaru Impreza pre-2008)

What does everyone else think...? :)

dk

911 GTS Cab
lol @ this...
Daihatsu-Charade-GTTI-TURBO-19-201012240326313.jpg
Daihatsu-Charade-GTTI-TURBO-19-201012240327056.jpg

30th place: Daihatsu Charade GTTI

being better than these.......

31st place: Citroen AX GT
32nd place: Peugeot 309 GTI
33rd place: Renaultsport Megane Trophy (current)
34th place: Audi RS3
35th place: Peugeot 306 Rallye
36th place: MINI Cooper S JCW
37th place: Renaultsport Megane R26
38th place: Volkswagen Golf R32 (Mk4)

39th place: Alfasud 1.5ti
40th place: Fiat Uno IE Turbo
41st place: Volkswagen Golf GTI MK5
42nd place: Subaru Impreza WRX STI (3rd gen)
43rd place: Renaultsport Clio 200 (current)

44th place: Suzuki Swift GTI
45th place: Ford Fiesta XR2 (Mk1)
46th place: Fiat Strada 130 TC Abarth
47th place: Suzuki Swift Sport
48th place: Subaru Impreza Cosworth
49th place: AMC Pacer (inc Carl Green Edition)
50th place: Alfa Romeo 145 Cloverleaf

Clio V6
Truly laughable TBH.

And I agree about the Saxo VTS, a tremendous car that should be in the top 25 at least. How on earth is it any different to the 106 GTi?

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Oh and the Alfa sud should be much higher, as too the 205 gti 1.6. So flawed is that list I'm off to punch a midget in the groin.

Saxo should certainly be up there. Nova SR too. OK, maybe a warm hatch but so are a few more on there.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
What would you define a hot hatch?

I personally would say the following:

It should be:
- A hatch back derived from a domestic line of models (Clio 1.2 for example)
- Still has all of the practicality of the derived model (bar ride comfort)
- Affordable (Around or under c£25,000 brand new in todays money; thus making second hand examples reasonable)
- Two wheel drive (I know this point is questionable!)

It should not be:
- A two seater performance car (Clio V6)
- A four wheel drive performance car (Delta Integrale, RS3)
- A saloon (Subaru Impreza pre-2008)

What does everyone else think...? :)

Imo, if its a beefed up version of a every day hatchback, it should be included. And the madder the better IMO... Mid engines 3.0l? Yup. 4WD? Go nuts.

imo, it'd be wrong to not put a vee in there.

saw a delta integrale the other day. Looked amazing! Leather recaros too :approve:

Flame 172 (Ph2)
I see your point... but surely you would class an RS3 and Clio V6 as, well super-hatches? I just don't think its a fair fight and cost and practicality have to be thought about.

Its a can of worms thought innit!?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
No ones doubting Renaults should be in the list. It's the nature of the list. I can't even discuss it anymore. It's making me angry.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
So so many omissions it's unreal when you start to think about it.

I think it became a willy waving exercise. RS3 for instance, out of those you voted it, who's drove one lol? Meh, I'm moving on.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I see your point... but surely you would class an RS3 and Clio V6 as, well super-hatches? I just don't think its a fair fight and cost and practicality have to be thought about.

Its a can of worms thought innit!?

i class the v6 as a mad hatch*. same as the r5 turbo. *from what ive read* they just try to kill you.

the vee really seems like someone in renault joked 'lets thumb a massive engine into a clio and see what happens'... and it somehow fell into production :p

i dont know enough about audis to comment :eek:

*its a hatchback... with power it cant use, without practicality and with ridiculous styling. its awesome lol