ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Plasti Dips..

Has anyone done this to a clio? what does it look like?

I want to try do it myself, does anyone know how easy it is? I have seen kits including the spray gun that appeal but don't know if to take the plunge or if it will be something that will end up in storage gathering dust.

I like the idea of changing colour every 6 months.

What is your views?

Civic Type R FN2
The matt grey one does look poorly done in a couple of areas. Not to worry though, just pull it right off! Knuckles beware, vinyl can pull off bad lacquer too. Seen it happen and it isn't a pretty sight.

A tip with the Plasti Dip - the more coats the better. If you were to put it on too thin it is a pain in the backside to remove in one piece. I should think at least 3 coats on a car would be the minimum, if you're spraying a black car white you'll need more to make sure the dip has a real nice colour and finish. I priced it up a while back and it really isn't very expensive to do a car yourself. Think maybe £150 for dip and spray gun setup, and a day of your time. Not bad for a complete colour change you can easily remove when you need to! A vinyl wrap even with mates rates is £300 minimum, that's just materials assuming your pro wrapper friend has all tools and only charges out his time in beer.

Go. For. It.

Would there be any point in a clear plastidip on the front end to stop stone chips over wrapping it?

My understanding is that wrapping will take slightly more of a beating than plastidip but again im guessing this depends on amount of coats

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
1 think I'll add to this is the cost involved. It's not cheap at all. I imagine if you spray the car you will never get the overspray off in some areas and would be finding the old colours for years.

Clear for stone chips sounds good though, but if the stone is powerful enough to take the paint off it likely to not be phased (1 or 2) by the relatively soft plasti dip.

Ph2 Clio 172
I've done wing mirror covers in Plastidip and they are fine. I wouldn't want to use it on anything larger than small trim pieces though, especially not a whole car!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I've been tempted to do my wheels with this.. Had a quick search, anyone else done this and had any decent results?

clio 172, mk1 caddy
I did my whole car and was fine, it all dpeends how well it was painted before tbh you find places that have been dodgily painted when removing (i never had one problem) i know people whove had cars wrapped that have pulled paint/clear off

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
A guy I know got his bonnet done and I said it was a sh1t idea... He said it would last, look good etc...

He stood by it for a while swearing it was great, but finally admitted it looked sh1t, didn't last and a total waste of money.. Should have got his misses some flowers and blow his load over her bewbs...

Keep pissing your money away tho guys, if you didn't I wouldn't have anything to laugh at on a Sunday night

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
DONT Plastidip your car.

Its a b**ch to remove.
Its pulled the Lacquer off my mirrors.
And the rest has dulled the gloss of the paint.

I had to use 4L of WD40 to soften most of it to remove it as 60% was too thin to peel.