ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Please Recommend a Cold Air Feed

Monaco 39/468 Mk2 ZS180
Hi everyone,

I know its a boring subject, but after recently fitting a BMC CDA in my 172 I have noticed there is not enough space to fit a Cold Air feed.

So at the moe its just sitting over the rad open ended (not ideal)

But dont want to go back to O.E as I cant get enuff of the sound of having a Lion under my bonnet...

Can you please recommend some sort of flexi/heat proof pipe that I can attach to the original pipe that comes from the wheel arch and to the end of my BMC without losing too much of the air supply.

GOD I CAN WAFFLE ON!!!!!!!!

Mucho grassy ass:D

Monaco 39/468 Mk2 ZS180
Yeah will post one up when i get home.

The end of the BMC is right under the bonnet catch (almost) no space at all.

And i have a samco type* blue elbow connected to the T.B, for a mental picture.

*= cheap version:rasp:

Monaco 39/468 Mk2 ZS180
04052008242.jpg

The cold Air Feed Pipe:
04052008240.jpg

04052008239.jpg

When taking this shot the fan was blowing loads of hot air straight into it !!!!!!

Not much space to do anything HELP!!!!!!
04052008238.jpg

Last edited:
  Astra van,Mk1 nova
For a start mate your gound to have to cut down the silicone induction hose:) each end to enable enough room for the cda to have a cold air feed, Then you need to get on ebay and there is a shop called auto performance and get yourself some 74mm CAF, its very good quality and a good price, 1M will do ;)

where you running it to?

here is a picture of mine for reference

S5031964.jpg

You get the idea, its a tight job to do but it does fit JUST:approve:

Monaco 39/468 Mk2 ZS180
cheers mate will have a look on the bay.

I cant see where your supporting bracket is attached though???

Dom

Renaultsport Clio 172
Mine seems shorter?? I got it in the last group buy...

CIMG0824.gif

The CDA model for Clio 1*2 is CDASP-08, it is shorter (by 40mm) than the standard one for engines above 2,000cc but they have the same 150mm in diameter (the one for small engines is 130mm). This model also has a 70mm in dia hole to attach the CDA to the throtle body elbow, the standard one is 85mm. So, if you got CDA85-150 it will be a bit bigger to fit it easily.

Check this site for all specs and drawings http://www.bmcairfilters.com/infoCDA.asp

Maybe the model is not the recommended one, hence the sillier fitment due to CDA dimensions

Cheers

Ph1
'Proper' air feed piping rots and splits with time. The wire springs rust and cut through the material. Its pretty crap stuff tbh

Best bet would be some flexi ducting from Homebase. Iv been running one for a number of years without any problems and can highly recommend it. Only a tenner too and very very strong (NOT like Green's crappy ducting you get from Halfords)

The only issue in your case is the size and space.

Monaco 39/468 Mk2 ZS180
Mine seems shorter?? I got it in the last group buy...

CIMG0824.gif

The CDA model for Clio 1*2 is CDASP-08, it is shorter (by 40mm) than the standard one for engines above 2,000cc but they have the same 150mm in diameter (the one for small engines is 130mm). This model also has a 70mm in dia hole to attach the CDA to the throtle body elbow, the standard one is 85mm. So, if you got CDA85-150 it will be a bit bigger to fit it easily.

Check this site for all specs and drawings http://www.bmcairfilters.com/infoCDA.asp

Maybe the model is not the recommended one, hence the sillier fitment due to CDA dimensions

Cheers

If i knew that then i would have got the smaller one as this one is a bugger to fit!!!

will go to hombase this evening to compare their air ducting to the ones on Ebay

i need to get this fixed ASAP as the days are getting hotter all my horses seem to be escaping:(

Monaco 39/468 Mk2 ZS180
well it might be a tight squeeze but its still got a better cold air flow than mine thats open and above the rad:(

MERCEDES CLS AMG
There all crap and dont work imo

Move your battery to the boot - this will give you a lot more space to play with. Then get some steel tubing and have a cold feed pipe fabricated - running from the n/s bumper spot light / grille area up through the back of the head light, through the n/s inner wing and into the filter which would now reside were the battery once lived. Then have a rubber hose from the outlet part of the filter into the throttle body.

The problem with the piping that your using is that under hard revving the suction from the throttle body can sometimes cause the thin inlet pipe to contract and block the feed to the filter ( lift your bonnet and get somebody to rev the engine whilst watching the cold feed pipe ). Another reason is the airflow can be dramatically reduced due to the internal shape of the cold feed pipe - also the bends and curves will slow the feed down, sometimes block it off entirely depending on the route youve given it ( some of the home made ones ive seen in our worshop would make you laugh ). To allow max air flow a rigid pipe with a flat even surface should be used, not one with several ridges and made from rough material. Steel pipe with small curved bends joined with small sections of rubber hose would give max air flow and better results.

Last edited:
  Clio MK 4
mine was fitted by rs tuning and they said they've seen shocking installs and if not done properly then you will lose bhp. Hence why i had mine fitted as i am shocking at anything manually lol.

Looks like you will be losing power with the above setup to be honest. You need to lose the battery or shorten the elbow.

Monaco 39/468 Mk2 ZS180
Oh God i aint got room to swing an Ant in my boot let alone a bloomin battery lol!!!

Anyhow that all sounds very complicated seens as this was just suposed to be a quick weekend job for a bit more engine note:S

I really dont want to put the O.E back on..........

Ph1
Main problem from the photo is the amount of bends in the cold air feed.

Quick solution would be to buy a silicone inlet elbow, cut it so that the CDA sits further back away from your rad and slam panel. This will then instantly take out one of your bends and mean the air is being directed in a forward motion rather than having to go back the way.

Iv always found it best not to connect the cold air feed instead having it pointing at it.

If you have it connected your relying ONLY on the air thats in the actual pipe and for the air to get into the pipe in any great amount you need to be doing a decent speed. Heat soak only happens in slow moving traffic and when stationary anyway.

When doing say 30 to 40 plus air naturally gets drawn into the engine from the front and underside of the car which your IK will naturally pick up.