ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Point of reps?

a black one
Anyone care to explain why people do these?

If money's the issue why are they throwing so much money at a car, when they can just buy a sport

Insurance cant be an issue if they are declaring all these mods, which will probably end up being as much as a sport?

Suzuki Jimny
Because they look sportier than a standard version (sometimes) and don't cost a gazillion pounds to insure.

350z GT

If money's the issue why are they throwing so much money at a car, when they can just buy a sport

Insurance cant be an issue if they are declaring all these mods, which will probably end up being as much as a sport?

Clearly does not end up being as much as a sport else people wouldnt do it :/

Maybe these people just want the looks rather than the cost of a 2ltr engine

Firstly, people enjoy doing the modding themselves, it's an experience.

Secondly, my rep is cheaper with everything declared than it is standard on insurance.

Thirdly, running costs are cheaper.

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
mine cost an extra £30 to insure and that was for coilovers all the rest of the kit didnt increase my insurance.

a black one
yeah sorry i know its not as expensive as a sport, but its gonig to be a lot more than it would be standard, why wouldnt you just save up for a sport the next year or w.e

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
i had mine for 2 1/2 years, all the mods can be taken back off and sold, they dont really loose much value on here anyways

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
yeah sorry i know its not as expensive as a sport, but its gonig to be a lot more than it would be standard, why wouldnt you just save up for a sport the next year or w.e

if your 17 the earliest it might start to become viable is 21, most likely 25, Wait 8 years? No thanks!

Milltek'd clio 182
i was in the same frame of mind as you, didnt see the point of boasting something that hasnt actually got the balls, but then people enjoy that sort of thing and it keeps them content....so leave them alone lol

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
A good driver in a 1.2 / 1.4 can keep up with a bad driver in a 2.0... provided there are no straights!

Sport looks with cheaper running costs. Is it really that hard to figure out why people do it?

Disastra Coupe
1*2 mpg = 27 around town? For me anyway.

DCI with Sport kit mpg = s**t load's more but your car still looks smart.

I guess the answer is both, but are people making sport reps because:

A) 1*2 bumpers, arches, wheels, painted strips etc look nicer & sport interior is nicer to be in
or B) They want people to think that they have a sport?

I'd like to think predominantly A, but the modified non-sports thread shows that you can make a clio nice without doing your utmost to fool people into thinking it's a sport by copying everything. Also I do appreciate the running costs and that it's great to do something yourself. I must admit if the answer is "B" it does annoy me as all those £6.99 or w/e sport badges are doing is de-valuing my car.

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
mine cost an extra £30 to insure and that was for coilovers all the rest of the kit didnt increase my insurance.

So the old insurance company addage of 'your car looks more appealing to thieves - hence the hike in premium' is actually a lie? Oh, how I love insurers.....

Besides, the whole point of a rep to me was that you got your name in blue.

D.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I think its a yes and no for me, I think some non sports can look really good without having to add the sport bumpers etc.

If they can afford to do it then why not, i'd just hope one day they'd do the engine conversion instead of selling it for a propper sport

I guess the answer is both, but are people making sport reps because:

A) 1*2 bumpers, arches, wheels, painted strips etc look nicer & sport interior is nicer to be in
or B) They want people to think that they have a sport?

I'd like to think predominantly A, but the modified non-sports thread shows that you can make a clio nice without doing your utmost to fool people into thinking it's a sport by copying everything. Also I do appreciate the running costs and that it's great to do something yourself. I must admit if the answer is "B" it does annoy me as all those £6.99 or w/e sport badges are doing is de-valuing my car.

This tbh. I understand that people want to make their cars look nicer and have no issue with it really. The main gripe I have is when people stick 2.0 badges on it when it's not.

Why make your car look like something its not? Like buying one of them ferrari kits for an MR2 don't see the point in it.

clio 182
im all up for reps, there are some very very good examples about. I feel that people want there cars to look good, and making it into a rep is a very good way of doing this.
i would love a rep as an eco car! look thousands of times better than what the local rudeboys like to do and stick some huge wheels with some nice halfords trick bits...

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
It's a way of bodykitting your car without getting slated on here isn't it... Everyone loves body kits :) the 1*2 kit just isn't as in your face so it's acceptable.

But yeah, loads of good points have been made;
Looks good but cheap
Insurance friendly
The enjoyment of tastefully modding your car.

I don't see the harm in it (because I'm kinda doing it myself :eek: )

Along as they don't say Renault sport and 2.0 16v on them or have massive wheels innit brav then I don't see any reason to slate them.

I did see an awesome rep the other day ^.^ silver expression rollin on 17''s y0 with 2.0 16v on the side and a crack in the exhaust <---- that's what I'm putting the unholy noise down to :)

TBH I'm just waiting for a "I paid 3k for a mint 172 but it says 1200cc on the V5..." thread xD

Presumably people with 1.2 powered reps don't try to be "rapid y0" when people are looking? surely?

Clio Dynamique 1.2
cause my insurance is 3500 for a 1.2 so i may aswell make it look like a sport untill it drops :D