ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

pops and bangs

Ultra Red Megane 225
Should my 172 cup backfire after its been decatted?

Its not btw, just curious!

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
Probably not tbh, the FBW doesn't seem to do over run like good old cable throttle does.

Don't bother doing it either way though, I've had to replace my exhaust after blowing the baffles out the system and it gets annoying and boring after a while.

TrackCar & F30 330d
I must still be in the honey moon period with my ITBs as i love it poping and banging :)

The exhaust is sily loud atm so maybe my baffels are on their way out. The exhaust has had about 30,000 miles of decattedness.

320d
If an exhausts got a lifetime guarantee does that include the baffles. I.e. if I got a decat and blew the baffles out of my stealth would ktec replace it under warranty.

I seriously doubt it Brett, best asking them tbh mate.

Chris, sounds like the same as mine then, I liked them at first, but it got tiresome and embarrassing when it's doing it in traffic. On the motorway or round the lanes it's not too bad firing out 1.5 meter flames, but it gets you noticed too much...

DMS

A thirsty 172
I know for certain that with the standard FBW and a decat they don't pop and bang.
After my decat is fitted on Monday, I've been reliably informed that mine could shoot flames out the back if wanted :eek:

The 172 pops bangs and flames on the limiter, but it fires continuous flames for about 30+ seconds when you back off in 4th from high speeds which I only found out when I let my mate drive it lol

182 Trophy, Octavia vRS
My Trophy used to pop and bang from cold after the decat was fitted. Since it was remapped by RS Tuning it doesn't anymore....

Can't have everything I guess :)

S4 Avant
I know for certain that with the standard FBW and a decat they don't pop and bang.
After my decat is fitted on Monday, I've been reliably informed that mine could shoot flames out the back if wanted :eek:

There must be something wrong with my car then. I've broken the baffles up from all the popping and banging it's been doing.

DMS

A thirsty 172
There must be something wrong with my car then. I've broken the baffles up from all the popping and banging it's been doing.

Going by what Adam says, there's always something wrong with your car :p
Every standard one I've seen with a decat doesn't pop and bang. Yours must be speshul?
When the car is mapped, if the ignition is retarded slightly on the overrun it will pop and bang. So in essence, with a remap any decatted car could be made to pop flames out.

Not that simple, there is a fuel cut off feature that inhibits fueling once you lift off the throttle, no amount of timing can really get round this.

Coupe/Defender V8
Mine pops on over run between 1k - 2k like crazy since I had the supersport fitted with the bodies. I'm in the same boat as Chrispy atm - Doesn't bother me at all

DMS

A thirsty 172
Not that simple, there is a fuel cut off feature that inhibits fueling once you lift off the throttle, no amount of timing can really get round this.

Bearing in mind I don't have this lot anymore:
FBW throttle
Standard ECU
Standard FPR
Standard injectors
Standard fuel pump
Standard MAP sensor
etc etc etc

What actually limits the fuel once you lift off?

Bearing in mind I don't have this lot anymore:
FBW throttle
Standard ECU
Standard FPR
Standard injectors
Standard fuel pump
Standard MAP sensor
etc etc etc

What actually limits the fuel once you lift off?

Decel fuel cut off strategy reduces the injector duration to zero in a variable amount of time/engine revolutions based on numerous factors. In a modern DBW production car the cut off will be total and ASAP to ensure emissons compliance.

It's very, very easy to make them pop and bang if you want them to. Just need to drop the decel fuel cutoff engagement point down a bit and cal the spark advance under decel to suit - instant pop, bang, cheeky flame. The above will need doing within the calibration though so if you're on the stock ECU it's not really something you can do yourself at home without spending some money.

I get the odd pop and bang from mine and it's only got a cat-back system fitted at the moment, does it abit more frequent when I've got my decat fitted.

When the revs are dying down, if you blip the throttle I can get a small pop from it as well.

Would there be any long term problems? Tempted tbh!

Shouldn't be from the JMS vid it's only gentle. Way over the top/poor calibration 'backfires' can damage exhaust valve seats/valves and cause engine failure if the pressure in the manifold slows the closing off or forces open an exhaust valve at the wrong point.

Prob cost you a few MPG though but then you can't have everything!