ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power mods for 172 - All input welcome

Clio 172
Hello all im rather new to the clio side of things always had fords EG Cosworths & rs Turbos ect

Anyway I have a clio on a 52" its the 172 2.0 16v with no major mods, been told its had a K-tec stelth system fitted with sports cat/de cat, samco intake pipe, its having a flash map on Monday to get some extra power

Now what im after knowing is what are the best mods to start of with on the 172 for some extra power/torque? Seen people row about air filters so just want a short story of whats a good all rounder for the £££s, also whats the throttle body upgrade all about ? exhaust set up's ?

Any input is very welcome cheers all

iceberg phase 2 172
best airfilter for the money is the standard airbox with an itg panel filter , although the standard paper filter is more than upto the job . to get good gains u best have deep pockets buddy lol

Clio 172
Don't want to go mad as if I did I would just pull the engine out and go down the turbo route ;) just after some good starter mods eg what exhausts are good and what are bad, if the 182 throttle body would be better or are they the same ? or are the bigger ones better as see a lot of people say about them

Whats a ITG filter ?

Audi A5
Throttle bodies are the same. Maybe your getting confused with the lower inlet? On the 182's they are RS stamped and these are better matched compared to the non RS stamped ones. Saying that some of the 172 ones are RS stamped aswell so you would have to check.

As for power gains. The simple anser is these engine are very difficult to get power out of. Personally I wouldn't bother with engine mods, I'd just focus more on the suspension.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Machined Matched Inlets
Ph1 172/ v6 air Box
2.5" bore exhaust system
a/c delete kit
remap.

all relatively cheap. Good cheap'ish gains.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Remap
ph1 air box with itg air filter
front geo refresh with poly bushed wishbones/roll bar/gear box lower mount
good set of coil overs
up grading front discs and decent pads all round.
quaife diff...££££
Unfortunatly the engine needs ££££££ spending on it to get any real gains

focus st3
the upper ones need cleaning due to it being sat in the damp garage,the lowers fine if your anywhere near leeds you can have em, i sold the clio a few months back and i bought a matched set these are off the car.

focus st3
plus while they are off you can match em with a dremmel or send em away to be done and have em powder coated choice is yours,they are fairly heavy so im not sure what they would cost posted