ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power Steering Noise and Loss or PAS

ph1 172
I've got a PH1 172 and when steering at low speeds the AUX belt squeals/makes a noise and the steering gets heavy.

Sometimes when steering and it gets heavy the battery light will come on, it doesnt come on at any other time.

This time last year I had the AUX belt, tensioner and Cambelt done at Engine Dynamics.

Unsure what the issue could be, there is fluid in the PAS reservoir. So if anyone is able to help or point in the right direction I'd be really grateful.

Clio 182
Not got an answer, but recently I've noticed a noise from ps on start up, sounds like a rubbing noise, but once engine is warmed up it goes away. Apologies for hijacking ;), but cld these be similar?

When I had a squealing noise I has pas pump replaced, and this fixed it. That was around 1year ago, and all belts were replaced, anything else to check?

Ph 2 dynamique
My ph 2 started this recently will have it checked over as soon as and I'll let you know what I get back.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
sounds like a tensioner issue on the aux belt system, if theres insufficient tension on the belt then it'll slip, stop turning the alternator and pas pulleys properly and lead to less steering assistance and the alternator output dropping

get it checked by a pro asap as if the aux system lets go and chews the belt, bye bye engine

ph1 172
sounds like a tensioner issue on the aux belt system, if theres insufficient tension on the belt then it'll slip, stop turning the alternator and pas pulleys properly and lead to less steering assistance and the alternator output dropping

get it checked by a pro asap as if the aux system lets go and chews the belt, bye bye engine

Thanks mate, I'll get it checked out. Bit of a pain as it was only done last year.

Clio 182
Reckon this could be the same issue as mine? I had the pump replaced last year and all been fine, but recently some noise on first start of the day, best way to describe is that it sounds like a mini when turning, but after driving for under 30secs it disappears and doesn't sound again until the next morning- it is fine during the day after leaving for hours then going for a drive. Which leads me to wondering if it's related to cold temperatures? Also I have no steering 'heaviness', everything feels normal.

Thanks in advance

Clio 182
To update my fluid was really low, so topped up now. So will test tomorrow morning to see if the nice has gone