ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power Tool Perverts

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Spanner wise, was using a set of snap on flank drive spanners at my mates garage on sunday..game changer. Open end just grips and no slipping. I want a set badly but cant be fcuked spending the money.
what about the halfords advanced ones?

Im pretty new to the tool stuff but for the money, surely you cant go wrong? Ratchet is where its at too.

Youll know better than me though, judging by some of the stuff I see you post!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member

Im pretty new to the tool stuff but for the money, surely you cant go wrong? Ratchet is where its at too.

Tools for you?

Halfords Pro (maybe called advanced?) stuff is pretty much UK DIY mechanic standard equipment, its good gear!

The halfords spanners aren't bad/poor quality but they will spread and round you s**t off if you use the open end on anything too rusty or too tight, the snap on ones I believe are shaped to grip the head of a bolt/nut more better and probably splay less, there's a good spanner test on youtube, the jokers did well but not outstanding with regard to torque, they are just really nice to use and have the little nut holding plate thing which I like.

I really like Wera stuff.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Tools for you?

Halfords Pro (maybe called advanced?) stuff is pretty much UK DIY mechanic standard equipment, its good gear!

The halfords spanners aren't bad/poor quality but they will spread and round you s**t off if you use the open end on anything too rusty or too tight, the snap on ones I believe are shaped to grip the head of a bolt/nut more better and probably splay less, there's a good spanner test on youtube, the jokers did well but not outstanding with regard to torque, they are just really nice to use and have the little nut holding plate thing which I like.

I really like Wera stuff.

Ahhhhh. So many mentions of Nuts. Joy.

Yeah, they'll just me for me. I only have some very very basic tools at the moment as I (stupidly) sold my Kirkland multi set box to my dad as he liked it. Im going to be buying the Halfords Advanced stuff in the foam trays as ive got the halfords tool chest so it satisfies my OCD having everything neatly in there. But, yeah, dont get me wrong id definitely go and blow a grand on Wera stuff in a heartbeat if I could.

For circa £250 I can get almost every hand tool id ever need from Halfords - with a lifetime warranty too. Cant really argue with that considering a SnapOn set of spanners is almost that much :LOL:

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Ahhhhh. So many mentions of Nuts. Joy.

Yeah, they'll just me for me. I only have some very very basic tools at the moment as I (stupidly) sold my Kirkland multi set box to my dad as he liked it. Im going to be buying the Halfords Advanced stuff in the foam trays as ive got the halfords tool chest so it satisfies my OCD having everything neatly in there. But, yeah, dont get me wrong id definitely go and blow a grand on Wera stuff in a heartbeat if I could.

For circa £250 I can get almost every hand tool id ever need from Halfords - with a lifetime warranty too. Cant really argue with that considering a SnapOn set of spanners is almost that much :LOL:

Have you got a trade card?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo

Halfords are good and i have loads of halfords bits, price using trade card is spot on.

The snap on flank spanners as @Touring_Rob said have the open end shaped so they bite hard and dont slip. I try not to use open end but sometimes needs must and these were mega especially on a tight bolt. No slipping or smashed knuckles.

Any recommendations for a decent alternative Rob? Ive got a couple of joker spanners but as ratchet never used open end in anger

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Halfords are good and i have loads of halfords bits, price using trade card is spot on.

The snap on flank spanners as @Touring_Rob said have the open end shaped so they bite hard and dont slip. I try not to use open end but sometimes needs must and these were mega especially on a tight bolt. No slipping or smashed knuckles.

Any recommendations for a decent alternative Rob? Ive got a couple of joker spanners but as ratchet never used open end in anger
I hadnt even thought about it slipping! You learn something new everyday - like the day I tired to use a cheap adjustable spanner to undo a tight bolt and it just span and fucked the bolt up....yeah, lesson learnt :LOL:

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Yep been there shredded the knuckles not the best :LOL:

Im very sceptical on how good branded tools are compared to cheap, but the snap on impressed me enough to want to get my money out.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Yep been there shredded the knuckles not the best :LOL:

Im very sceptical on how good branded tools are compared to cheap, but the snap on impressed me enough to want to get my money out.

Aye, you can't argue with Snap-on hand tools tbh. No wonder some try to copy them.

Sometimes hard to justify the cost, but in most cases they do warrant it.

That's not to say that there aren't very good alternatives out there.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Cheers, I’ll get one ordered up at that price lol.
Adaptor turned up, works spot on.
20230719_153852.jpg

Aye, you can't argue with Snap-on hand tools tbh. No wonder some try to copy them.

Sometimes hard to justify the cost, but in most cases they do warrant it.

That's not to say that there aren't very good alternatives out there.
Totally agree. Cost aside, ive not been dissappointed with any snap on gear i own, all been really good.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I got a similar adaptor to the above for my inflator, I wish I'd got one with a little release valve built in though to let air out too.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I got a similar adaptor to the above for my inflator, I wish I'd got one with a little release valve built in though to let air out too.
Seen them ones too, might buy one. Will the inflator let air out itself if you knock it down a few psi? Ive not tried to knock the psi down yet.
Loaded you are Jon 💰
Was loaded :LOL:
just get two 2ah battery’s..

There’s a reason women got given two t1ts and not one single super boob.

That wisdom applies.
2 x 2ah is how i roll currently:LOL:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Seen them ones too, might buy one. Will the inflator let air out itself if you knock it down a few psi? Ive not tried to knock the psi down yet.
No it doesn't, hence wanting one with a valve.

Do you have a link to the one you've seen? I remember seeing them a while ago but looked today and couldn't find any.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Had these 12 years I think… I’ve been a red tool w&nker longer than you can dream of.. i got the shirt, the heated hoodie, the tools, I might have a Milwa tattooed on my sausage for all you know.
IMG_9595.jpeg

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I like the quick thumb catch ones on my air gauge…

Those ones I fumble and quite often I have to put another 10psi in as I’ve let it all out before it’s come away.
I agree, I have the thumb ones atm but I haven't seen any of those with a release button/valve thing on too.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Am I missing something? why are you wanting one with a valve that releases air when you can put in the inflator exactly what pressure you want?
Lower pressures. Saves using the key to push the valve core in.

Been looking for the thumbnail type but not seen any.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Am I missing something? why are you wanting one with a valve that releases air when you can put in the inflator exactly what pressure you want?
Have you checked the pressure against a proper gauge? My makita one is 2psi out.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Have you checked the pressure against a proper gauge? My makita one is 2psi out.

As long as you use the same gauge every time, it wont matter if it's out compared to another.

My Halfords pump is 1-2psi out compared to my Longacre racing gauge, but i always use that to check pressures so the readings are relative to me.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
As long as you use the same gauge every time, it wont matter if it's out compared to another.

My Halfords pump is 1-2psi out compared to my Longacre racing gauge, but i always use that to check pressures so the readings are relative to me.
That doesn't make sense at all lol

If it's out by 25psi I'm not gonna pump them all up knowing they're 25 psi down but all relative so it's ok 😂

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
From using various tyre pressure gauges most differ a couple of psi. Same for boost gauges and even some map sensors. QC issues, never going to be totally accurate unless you spend a small fortune on something calibrated.