ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problem with handbrake adjustment - Help?

Track-car-doorcards

ClioSport Trader
  clio 172 Mk 2 - 2003
Need some help, just brought my front Clio 172, 53 Reg and the handbrake does not work. Tried to adjust and it does not work, it only just works on one side after adjustment (passenger side). I noticed the drivers side cable should go around the fuel tank but hangs underneath as the plastic holder has broken. This seems to made the cable very loose on the drivers side and impossible to make the handbrake work properly. Any advice, anybody else had this issue?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    322.8 KB · Views: 43
  Clio 172
I had this issue, it has the effect of making the cable longer. I tie clipped it up to the fuel pipe above the beam and somewhere else which I can't remember now to try and make it follow the tank underneath as much as possible. I also tie clipped it to what was left of the white hanger that snapped, it's stayed in place for the past year so seems to just about do the job.

Track-car-doorcards

ClioSport Trader
  clio 172 Mk 2 - 2003
Ok, thanks I will try with zip ties and try and make it follow the groove around the tank, just seems like there is nothing around strong enough to make it follow the groove. It is no going to be pretty but if it works great. What a rubbish design as that fixture breaking make the car fail the mot?

Clio 172
I know. I think as long as it's tie clipped to enter the groove at both ends of the fuel tank, the tie clip on the actual snapped clip is more just to keep it in place and doesn't come under much stress when the handbrake is applied.

If there is an actual fix for this, aside from replacing the whole fuel tank, I'd love to know.