ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Products for Silver cars.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Right, new car, new stock of products.

Just so you know, I'm not looking at spending over £100 on wax etc, just mid range products really.

I currently use Collinite 845 wax which I love but unsure how it will look on a silver car and I'm sure there's a better product out there.

All work will be done by hand as until I've got rid of the clio I can't afford a DA polisher or Pressure Washer.

I've only really got basics e.g. SRP, EGP, Meg's Gold Class shampoo, Clay Bars (Various ones), QD for drying aid and clay lube, APC, Brushes, towels, lambswool wash mitt, Collinite 845, Megs endurance tyre gel and other various bits and pieces.

Any help on getting the best results by hand are appreciated.

Something for black trim is 100% needed.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
SIlver has bene covered quite a bit, but I'd recommend going for Autofinesse tripple or rejuvenate, topped with tough coat. Used these combo's many times on siver cars now to excellent results.

Werkstat acryllic combo is highly rated for silver also but I've not used it.

Also for trim, autofinesse revive

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Okay dudey!

Now because of what you want these are my suiggestions especially as everything is by hand. You won't have to spend too much.

Do you have any applicators, mf's ect..? Silver really is a rewarding colour, much more than people think. It's all about looking at it different from other colours.

Now this advice is going to be from the pov of doing one decent big detail even if you buy the products a bit at a time...

On silver iron x is a must. http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/cquartz-ironx-500ml/prod_726.html

Then de-tar. Spray on whatever product you get leave to work then wipe off with an "MF applicator" (little tip I learned not a cloth)
Like these, wash and reuse... http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/blue-perl-microfibre-applicator-pads-pkg/2/prod_186.html

Next up cleanse using similar blue mf pads, this is the daddy at cleansing, especially since you're not machining.... http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/werkstat-prime-acrylic-cat9.html

Nothing cleans like Prime and on Silver/white having "clean paint" means more than any LSP or anything. It what gives light colours their reflectivity. Can be used on Glass, headlights, chrome, exhausts etc..
Brilliant product and when used on side and rear glass it will bead and sheet water for around 4-5 months as it contains a base sealant. :)

Next up glazing, truth is some people would maybe just use one product for both, which you can, rejuvenate for example is a great product as is this... http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/r222-gloss-enhancing-paintwork-cleanser-cat9.html

The R222's contains more fillers than rejuvenate but will cleanse aswell as fill. great product to do 2 jobs. I prefer 1 product that excells in it's area, if on a budget mate mabye just look into R222's but it won't cleanse the paint like prime.

My choice for glazing these days will always be Prima Amigo. Forget about dark paints ect.. this product is simply fantastic, the slickest pre-lsp product on the market bar none. http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/glazes/prima-amigo-polymer-glaze/prod_696.html

Now time to seal it all in. Imo with Silvers stick to sealants, it's well known in detailing light colours work way better with sealants and my favourite at the moment from a simple pov... http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/werkstat-acrylic-jett-trigger-cat12.html

Jett is your friend mate, can be used on plastics, glass and of course paintwork, spray on panel/cloth, wipe on, wipe off, that simple mate. Simply brilliant product imo, get 2-3 layers on. Go round the car once then start at the beginning again. Don't have to wait long.

And that's my opinion. Tyre gel and maybe look at Autofinesse revive for the plastic rubbers and mouldings. Remember and wipe off the residue though stops the risk of the product running or failling quicker.

Oh and I know stuff is out of stock but will be back soon. :)

And breath!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of a b**ch the rust but don't worry about it too much, you can still enjoy the car.

Get both back carpets out and get them properly cleaned. Try and get a rubberised spray sealer for the rears mate, will help keep the water out better.

Happy to help with the product mate, shame you don't stay closer.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Great post Gally.

Ill be referring back to this come Spring time ;)

I'm going to have to find a friend with a good camera so I can try and better your results from the same method :p Your car could be covered in swirls and s**te and still look better than mine after all of the above. iPhone FTL.

Bit of a b**ch the rust but don't worry about it too much, you can still enjoy the car.

Get both back carpets out and get them properly cleaned. Try and get a rubberised spray sealer for the rears mate, will help keep the water out better.

Happy to help with the product mate, shame you don't stay closer.

I know :( if you're at CSS 12 then you can see how I managed to get on with it all :p

I'm going to have to find a friend with a good camera so I can try and better your results from the same method :p Your car could be covered in swirls and s**te and still look better than mine after all of the above. iPhone FTL.
Challenge accepted ;). Detailing wise, I plan to give mine a 1 day correction when it starts to warm up, then i'm going to hit it properly hard before CSS (probably go all out and spend 2 days on it, aim for perfection (well as perfect as an 11 year old shed is going to be) ;).

Silver is an underestimated colour. Just giving mine a winter protection detail when I first got it, not aiming for any sort of correction, gave impressive results.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent boyos!

I want to be involved in the show and shine competition!! :eek:

I'm going to have to find a friend with a good camera so I can try and better your results from the same method :p

If you ever want me to take some photos, give me a shout before we go KK's? My camera is half decent.. be happy to take some for you :)

My MK1 Focus was Moondust Silver... god it looked good when it was all detailed up.

Gally, that was an awesome post, I'll use a lot of advice from that for mine, I'm assuming a lot of those products will be fine for RB???

You have a Machine Polisher, I don't. Therefore Gally should do mine.

I have a machine polisher Rhys.. not a great one though!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed mate, the products will work on all colours especially Amigo and Prime cleanser, iron x etc. RB is a great colour to detail anyway. I seen it look wet with a wash and some nxt tech wax.

I really need to write a new guide! I might do it eventually. Rich's is a little older now but has the same basic ideas which should always be followed 2bm etc.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't spot that you have a Machine Polisher. Sounds like we need a weekend of photo's and detailing tbh. Only other person I know locally is seb. But I can't never quite work out if it's a Machine Polisher, or Machine Polisher

;)

Didn't spot that you have a Machine Polisher. Sounds like we need a weekend of photo's and detailing tbh. Only other person I know locally is seb. But I can't never quite work out if it's a Machine Polisher, or Machine Polisher

;)

FLOL!!!!

Yeah... tbh mate I don't know how to use it, it's works but we never use it so they said I could have it until they need it again (years no doubt!)

So you can borrow it, but you'll have to work out how to use it! What polishes ect... I have no idea. Tbh I prefer to polish and wax by hand. I know paint correction needs a DA but still... quite enjoy doing it by hand.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
FLOL!!!!

Yeah... tbh mate I don't know how to use it, it's works but we never use it so they said I could have it until they need it again (years no doubt!)

So you can borrow it, but you'll have to work out how to use it! What polishes ect... I have no idea. Tbh I prefer to polish and wax by hand. I know paint correction needs a DA but still... quite enjoy doing it by hand.

Same, if it's a rotary I'll probably leave it though :p

+1 on the Prime, I got Prime Strong which Will always be in my detailing box. I bought it on gally's recommendation aswell.

As gally said, Put it on everything (bar plastics) and you'll have a fantastic base.

Makes my, actually your, headlights come out brilliantly with 2 coats of that and 3 coats of carbon :eek:

How does Autofinesse revive compare to C4?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
revive is one of the best non permanent trim dressings I've used, nice and easy to and buff. C4 can be tricky to apply meaning hassle to remove and re-apply. I have both, one on each car

revive is simply amazing in my opinion. best trim dressing i have used.
i also think tough coat is a great product and would be good for silver paint

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I can't wait till payday to order LOTS of stuff. Need some autosol and WW. Although Ed didn't you say you'd found Megs Metal polish to work well? What do you apply it with? Just normal applicator pad?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Autosol is better if the exhaust is quite tarnished, megs if it's already shiny. :)

Oh and was "WW" wonder wheels?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Flol! <3 Wire wool! :eek:

Super! I use the metal polish with an old MF usually but an old yellow wax applicator would work fine aswell.

I can't wait till payday to order LOTS of stuff. Need some autosol and WW. Although Ed didn't you say you'd found Megs Metal polish to work well? What do you apply it with? Just normal applicator pad?

Yeah I have, it's very good. Jon has it at the moment, and my other mate wants to borrow it. Once they're done you can borrow it if you want?

Piss easy to use, and it gave mine really good results, and my exhausts were black!!!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Aye I know. I know the score with detailing, I'm on DW etc and read all the threads on here so I know the stages etc, just thought it would be useful to see peoples opinions on products for a single colour as I've only ever worked on my own :)