ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Ph-Unknown

PH1 172
After selling the 197 and trying to settle down into a sensible car - i soon realised what a massive mistake i had made! As great a car as the BMW was, it just didnt deliver the 'fun' factor that the RS Clios had given.

So when my dad mentioned he was thinking of changing to an M3 i convinced him he would be far better with a 330 Clubsport! His car was sold and i was left with a week to try and sort something to drive!

I searched through countless adds on pistonheads, autotrader etc for a FWD car that would deliver the same driving style as the clios, but that wasnt a clio. After owning 4 clios i was reluctant to get back into one, thinking it would be better to try and find something different.

Unfortunately insurance prohibited a DC5, and a clean DC2 is apparently impossible to find.

So after reading through ph-reeborn's project thread i realised i quite liked the look and shape of the ph1 172s, and it was also a model i had not owned before...the search was on!

Trawling pistonheads and millions of phone calls later either ended up in me discovering the car was a total shed, or that it was far too expensive! Milage was also proving to be a problem as i didnt want anything with too many miles!

A random google search however threw up these three pictures which led me to an add that was 4 months old...

add2.gif

add3.gif

add1.gif

a quick phone call later saw more pictures being sent - as well as the all important camblet question - which has been changed in the last 1000 miles :) result!

DSCN0612.gif

DSCN0609.gif

DSCN0608.gif

DSCN0607.gif

DSCN0606.gif

DSCN0605.gif

A week later i was on a flight to collect the car - and was pleasantly suprised at the condition of the car. The front bumper needed resprayed due to stone chips and scuffs, there are a few panel dents and the classic melted steering wheel but overall a very clean wee motor.

Took the car for a test drive and knew straight away i had made the right decision being back in a clio! Soon we were on our way back to the ferry (a 9 hour drive) and got the car home early the next morning!

Not sure what direction the car will take at the minute - lots of small plans and if it stays long term lots of bigger plans!

Will frequently update this as anything on the car changes and all C&C welcome throughout the thread :)

Ross

Whisker biscuit

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Flamer
Lookin good mate bet ur well chuffed. How many miles are on her then ?

I almost went for a black one before I bought my flamer and since I bought it a mate of mine is dying to get one in silver so its lookin like hes gonna go over and bring one back as well. You England boys may clamp down on sales to Ireland or yous wont have any left at this rate lol.

PH1 172
13th July - Week 1

Front bumper was resprayed by Terry Henry at KKRC, fantastic job as always!

Car received 4 Toyo T1R's from StreetRacer, loved them on the 182 so had to have a set as Toyo have recently lowered their prices! :eek:

So with the fresh paint on the front bumper - the terrible condition of the paint on the rest of the car was severely noticable!

Still not sure how long i will keep the car etc i was reluctant to do a full detail on the car - especially as there are dents that i will most likely be getting taken out.

So i decided to give the car a quick once over with Menz 3.02, a Yellow Megs pad and the Makita! The car was in an absolute state - must have been through brush car washes its entire life :( it looked very flat :

DSC_0146.gif

DSC_0147.gif

DSC_0152.gif

quick snow foam followed by clay and detar using PolyClay, Last Touch and finally Tardis -

DSC_0155.gif

DSC_0157.gif

which left the car looking like this after a rewash -

DSC_0158.gif

ready for this -

DSC_0159.gif

as it was a bright, but not sunny day i struggled to get decent photos of the swirling - but it was dire :dapprove:

DSC_0162.gif

DSC_0163.gif

small bits remembered to be taken out and car taped up -

DSC_0167.gif

after some 3.02 action i was left with this -

DSC_0172.gif

DSC_0171.gif

which i was happy enough with - full correction will come in the future!

how the car sits tonight, ready for some Menz 85 and Supernatural tomorrow -

DSC_0173.gif

DSC_0174.gif

DSC_0175.gif

DSC_0176.gif

DSC_0177.gif

and the first modification was added to the car (i pulled the standard handle off the inside on the trip home :eek:) -

DSC_0168.gif

happy with how the car has come up - plans for future include:

Coilovers
Wheels painted (red/candy blue/lime green)? suggestions guys?
New steering wheel
Track days! :D

Ross

120d M-Sport
Nice RS-1! :approve:

Looking very fresh since you have had your hands on it! Keep up the good work :D

PH1 172
quick update with the finished pictures for the tidy up session -

ran round with Menz 85 to create some extra gloss then put down a couple of layers of Supernatural

Next in line are clear repeaters, dent removal then some type of suspension!

DSC_0178.gif

DSC_0179.gif

DSC_0180.gif

DSC_0181.gif

DSC_0182.gif

DSC_0183.gif

DSC_0184.gif

DSC_0185.gif

DSC_0186.gif

Ross

PH1 172
fog light was smashed when i got it :(

either replacing them or going to put twin CAFs in? opinions?

Ross

PH1 172
^^ thanks very much for the kind words :)

its got a long way to come but im glad i managed to get a well looked after one with lowish miles that was most importantly standard!

means i can work away and have it exactly how i want :)

PH1 172
^^ it will be keeping the ph1 lights and rear end - thinking about ph2 rub strips though...

wheels may be going black with a coloured lip ;)

either that or one of these

th_black.jpg

in 15x8

or

rb.jpg

in 15/16 x 8?

any ideas?

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
looks mint fella, any pics of your old cars that seem to be spoken of so highly!?

"Navy" N17 TWO
You just can't keep away from our heart-warming banter (sleggin match) :rasp:

Welcome "back" I suppose, and can't wait to see how this one turns out :)

PH1 172
few small updates arrived today in the post

DSC_0041.gif

DSC_0042.gif

DSC_0043.gif

new purchases include:-

Uprated KTEC engine mount and upper gearbox mount
Full Powerflex Bush Kit
OMP 330mm steering wheel and boss

car is stinkin at the minute as i love driving it too much!

PH1 172
todays job was to do upper engine mount:

out with the old -

DSC_0039.gif

gone :)

DSC_0040.gif

got carried away and started removing for gearbox mount -

DSC_0041.gif

and new one in place -

DSC_0042.gif

ran into problems here - when i went to tighten the top bolt down in the upper gearbox mount i got it tight to just on the top thread, but it didnt want to tighten any more - just turning the spindle :(

anyone any ideas how to get this tightened more or is this tight enough? would an impact gun help?

finally to end my bad luck i reassembled everything - connecting the battery i got a few sparks from the connection which led to a small fire and welded wrench glowing red hot...ended up in a burnt hand :( fail...

DSC_0043.gif

hopefully dogbone and gearbox mount tightened tomorrow!

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
s**t mate hope your alright, looks like your doing a fantastic job though!

Looks nasty that, recover soon!

Cro

Meg'd r27
Come on Ross, I expect these kinds of things from Trev :rasp: Goodies look good, but thats you on the left hand for a while :)

PH1 172
left hand it is

bad news again - while pressing the old dogbone bushes out the mount itself :(

looking at it looks like its been battered previously

new one coming asap!

PH1 172
well good news and a bit more done over the past week -

got a new dogbone from Renault and fitted it with the polybushes fitted

DSC_0004.gif

quick picture of the upper engine mount fitted too - the solid mounts have made such a difference to how the car drives - best investment i have ever made on a clio!

DSC_0001.gif

second task for t he day was to replace the throttle cable as the standard one was a bit jerky and lumpy - just the usual common problems

DSC_0002.gif

and the new one in place -

DSC_0003.gif

finally did an oil/filter/plug service on it to treat the wee motor a bit!

DSC_0005.gif

next is fitting the rest of the poly bush kit!

ROss