ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

project 'showroom' 172 cup

Cup Packed FF200
Not a project as suchAs I can't help tinkering with cars and my newly aquired 172 is in mechanical top shape (or as close as can be without stripping it down for no reason).............. the only thing left to do is the cosmetics, bringing the old girl back to near showroom cond.

I'm not talking about a quick wax, I mean getting everything back to as close to immaculate as poss (without spending stupid amounts of course - thats the trick!)

any hoot, it was great fun restoring my old rallye (although alot of that was mechanical) and I reaped the benefits of having one of the best rallyes in the country, so hopefully the cup can follow suit.

I will post a few pics now and again just to update how its going.

first up the front number plate had a hug whacking crack in it, so a trip to Renault (for a genuine plate) ensued earlier today.
IMAG0075.jpg
IMAG0077.jpg

Also stupid but a pain, the washer hose was missing a clip meaning every time you lifted the bonnet the hose was hanging down from the bonnet skin, so a simple push fit plastic clip was also in order from renault.
IMAG0074.jpg
IMAG0076.jpg

also on the way are a new fuse box cover (current one is broken), and a set of new 172 cup badges for the door pillars/posts of the doors.

Has anyone else had the anoying problem of the little yellow 172 numbers almost hanging off??]

Also on the way is a fitting kit for the trim which goes around the windscreen/up the A post - mines a bit tired and is starting to crack etc.

anyhow, next up was a light use of this to get the paintwork ready for a decent carnauba top coat wax - this is more of a preparitory coat.
IMAG0083.jpg
IMAG0079.jpg

some final pics, I need to get the top coat of wax on soon.
IMAG0080.jpg
IMAG0078.jpg

and I gave the engine bay a clean so I can see what I'm doing when something breaks.
IMAG0086.jpg
IMAG0082.jpg

Also used this which is great for keeping your Aux belt (or any rubber belts) in top cond and from slipping - its used in all sorts of industry with rubber belt servicing/maintenance.
IMAG0070.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Very clean congrats on that, but surely there is only so much you can ask for a 53 plate Renault...

Unless you got it proper cheap?! ;)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I very nearly opted to keep mine in this kind of state...i.e showroom spec but have now gone the other way and decided to lose half the interior!

Fair play to you mate....look forward to seeing more progress!

Snotter's
Knowing how mint his rallye was and the fact he kept it a while i would imagine this is to keep for a while,not sell

fiesta 1.25
no ^ then it would be slow lol!

Good work mate.Im in the process of getting mine mint condition too,definatly not factory but i want to get it one of the mintest ph1's.

Genuine renault plate?How much was that?

Turbos.
Good to see someone preserving an original car. Would be great to see it in proper factory fresh spec when done.

Cup Packed FF200
f**king clean!
cheers Haz.:) I'm so lazy now in terms of cleaning etc, theres no point in this country with the weather the way it is.

Very clean congrats on that, but surely there is only so much you can ask for a 53 plate Renault...

Unless you got it proper cheap?! ;)

I payed 'too much' tbh, but i'm not to bothered because it was really hard work finding a decent one. Should be keeping it a couple of years atleast, so hopefully it will still be in decent cond and low miles if/when I sell it.

Spot on that bud good work!
Thanks mate.

I very nearly opted to keep mine in this kind of state...i.e showroom spec but have now gone the other way and decided to lose half the interior!

Fair play to you mate....look forward to seeing more progress!

Im sure I will get bored and have thoughts about going along the same route at some point in the future (I can't help messing), but for now I can't afford to use it as a track type car anyway. I couldn't afford it in the end with the rallye, let alone this.

Knowing how mint his rallye was and the fact he kept it a while i would imagine this is to keep for a while,not sell
Probably a couple of years, same route as the Rallye with any luck. Im hoping to look after it as they undoubtably become rarer.

no ^ then it would be slow lol!

Good work mate.Im in the process of getting mine mint condition too,definatly not factory but i want to get it one of the mintest ph1's.

Genuine renault plate?How much was that?

Hi mate, yeah Renault plate was quite cheap actually (£8 qiud ish), I had a struggle to get it off them though. Obviously they insist on you having the log book (V5) etc, but they didn't even want me to take it away - they wanted me to have it fitted there - ridiculous.

If you have the log book to the car and own it, who are they to say you can't take the plate away, for all they know I might fancy changing my plate every week.

I can see where there coming from, but its a bit silly if you ask me.

Renault (tutt)

Has anyone else had the anoying problem of the little yellow 172 numbers almost hanging off??

Yep, my '2's are hanging off on both sides!

same here! its a pain, i've only washed the damn thing once and the 2 fell off. Ive used some clear silicolne to hold it back on for now, they are on order frolm renault. Air contact self adhesive probably.

Will post some picks when I get them, £12 each side too...crazy. (inc cup badge)

Good to see someone preserving an original car. Would be great to see it in proper factory fresh spec when done.
I don't think I will go much further, just a few bits, otherwise I wil lending up spending silly money on parts that are genuinely ok. cheers.:)

James

M2 Competition
Out of interest do you have the part number/ name for that little clip under the bonnet? Oh and a price, guessing its pence?

IMAG0076.jpg

Snapped mine and its held in with bluetac at the mo...

Cup Packed FF200
Out of interest do you have the part number/ name for that little clip under the bonnet? Oh and a price, guessing its pence?

IMAG0076.jpg

Snapped mine and its held in with bluetac at the mo...

yes, mine had part snapped.

Just annoying more than anything.

Part number is 7703079650.

The chappy at renault had a nightmare finding the right one, so this will definately help your dealer!:)

44p well spent.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Will post some picks when I get them, £12 each side too...crazy. (inc cup badge)

£12 each side!?! That's nuts. I couldn't mind paying a couple of quid for a single number, as the 'Cup' badge is firmly stuck in place. But having to pay £25-odd for just a couple of '2's is crazy.

Cup Packed FF200
looks immaculate. miss my cup :( really is an amazing colour in the sun!
its a great metallic colour isn't it.;)

nicely done chief
cheers both:)

Do Renaut supply the clips and screws for the plates as well?
If you ask nicely yeah, I have loads knocking around the garage but I thought I may as well get my moneys worth from them:approve:

£12 each side!?! That's nuts. I couldn't mind paying a couple of quid for a single number, as the 'Cup' badge is firmly stuck in place. But having to pay £25-odd for just a couple of '2's is crazy.

I agree. I nearly passed out.

Im going to try and bodge the current 172 numbers back on with clear building silicone (which is strong but will come off the paintwork easy with no marks) and then when they do fall off all the time I will replace the whole decal (cup aswell) just so they all last a few years then...job done.

Ive ordered them for now, but I don't feel happy about it.:mad:

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
Great a man after my own heart!

Sure you have seen my car! :approve: top work fella! :eek:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Near Harborne? I used to see a white rallye around a lot (oddly when I had the same)

Cup Packed FF200
Near Harborne? I used to see a white rallye around a lot (oddly when I had the same)

Not far from there, but mine was Blue.

Hardly ever seen any other rallyes around birmingham and ive owned them for 7 years now.

You may see my brother in law in my old S1 rallye around harborne - its red with white number squares as he hill climbs/competes in it. :)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Not far from there, but mine was Blue.

Hardly ever seen any other rallyes around birmingham and ive owned them for 7 years now.

You may see my brother in law in my old S1 rallye around harborne - its red with white number squares as he hill climbs/competes in it. :)
He lives next door to Riz (I think)!

Cup Packed FF200
are you doing underneath! its pretty easy

WOW.:) amazing mate.

Have you done all that work or is the car fairly new?? amazing if so.:D :D

I may try and replace a few bits, the rear box heat shield always goes as its thinner than a backed bean can, ive already replaced the rear box mount as they fail after a couple of years too.

I did similar things with the rallye, cleaned and painted the whole underside as well as new head shields, fixings etc, even a new spare wheel hanger costing something silly from peugeot.

various undershots
underside3.jpg

underside1.jpg

cat6.jpg

newrear5.jpg

newrear6.jpg

rearbox01.jpg

coated centre section - helps prevent rust
supersprint1.jpg

expensive stainless sports cat - looked tidier than the standard rusty one.
msportcat1.jpg

I dont know if I will get that far with this one.

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
its not that hard james - take some underneath pics if you like and ill talk you through what you need to do! wont cost mush - mostly just time ;)

Cup Packed FF200
its not that hard james - take some underneath pics if you like and ill talk you through what you need to do! wont cost mush - mostly just time ;)

I may take you up on that in the future mate, although I still think its going to have better results on yoru car being slightly newer etc, I dont think I will get this one looking like yours underneath.

Just some more updates pics:

Today: picked up my windscreen trim/seal kit (the current seals were btittle and cracked in a couple of places)..........so order of the day was a fitting session. Plenty of silicolne spray to ease in the new trim and hey presto.

IMAG0093.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

also picked up the Renault Cup 172 decals I mentioned earlier. I will wait until the numbers start dropping off again before going with these ones, probably the next time I wash the car. :mad: £12 quid each aswell. gutted.
IMAG0099.jpg

Also on the list of to do's is fitting a new fuse box cover, mine is broken all over (clips broke etc).

Got the cover just awaiting a new base, that should be fun looking at moving the relays and fuses out the way :(
IMAG0092.jpg

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
how did you get those window covers strips out?! on my old ff they were marked and i was interested in replacing them! just interested ;)

how did you get those window covers strips out?! on my old ff they were marked and i was interested in replacing them! just interested ;)

Pretty sure they just pull out. One of mine had moved up slightly and was lose at the top so I just pushed it back down.

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE

Pretty sure they just pull out. One of mine had moved up slightly and was lose at the top so I just pushed it back down.

cool, dont have the car now LOL but i was put off as i thought it would have to be done by a window guy :eek: