ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS3 Decent Christmas Present?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
The missus told me earlier that she was looking at PS3's for my Christmas present as she couldn't think of anything else, and I've jokingly asked for one for the past 2 years or so - it's like a running gag, even shaking envelopes at birthdays and asking if there's a PS3 inside.

Anyway, I have a 360 and a Wii, would I get anything from a PS3 that I don't get from the other consoles? I'd love to see what Uncharted 2 is like, bit it's a lot of money, in hindsight, for one game. But then I look about and remember there's quite a few unique Sony titles - Little Big Planet, MGS, Killzone 2, God of War 3 and of course GT5.

Is having the 360 plenty enough, or would the PS3 and Uncharted 2 be a great present?

I'm genuinely undecided, as at the moment I've had the 360 for gaming and it's done it's job perfectly in distracting me from the PS3. Hmm.

Mk4 .:R32
meh not worth it dude. My bro has one, and played on that as well as mates xbox 360s and there isn't a great deal of diff graphics wise. Couldn't justify £260 or whatever.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Yeah. In theory, i'm getting it for nothing, although I will no doubt be returning the favour in gifts. I know she wants a Nintendo DSi, but that still puts me over £100 out for other gifts.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Bluray not a factor? Great for watching downloaded shows off a USB stick as well.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Definitely worth it if you're interested in HD/blu-ray... if not, I mean Uncharted 2 is possibly the best game I've never played, but I wouldn't pay over £200 for it!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I really wouldn't bother. I'm not saying it's a bad console, but it is a bad console.

Buy one, they're great.

Oh, wait?

Blu-Ray is nice though.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Just to be clear, it will be purely as a games machine for the unique titles. I won't be using the PSNetwork or anything. If a game is available for both consoles, I'll always opt for the XB360 version. This would be for games such as Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, GoW3, GT5 etc. etc.

Oh, and of course the Blu-Ray player.

E87 118d M Sport
Then yeah. get one.

Blu-ray player these days, call it £100.

The ps3 exclusives easily justify another £100.

Also nice additions like the ps3 media server, allows streaming of any media from your PC over wifi.

I've got one and I'll admit on the rare occasions I fire mine up I do enjoy the exclusive titles. Uncharted is great and tbh despite you saying it'll only be used as a games machine you could so easily fire a £50 HDD in it and use it as a media hub and blu ray player.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I've got one and I'll admit on the rare occasions I fire mine up I do enjoy the exclusive titles. Uncharted is great and tbh despite you saying it'll only be used as a games machine you could so easily fire a £50 HDD in it and use it as a media hub and blu ray player.

See, these are the things I had no idea about.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's a nice piece of kit also, sitting next to a black tv and stand ect... All in one system imo.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
You can use the 360 as a media hub easily enough.

Obviously just lacking the bluray.
Bluray's a massive draw for me. But then I'm not a massive gamer, mine probably gets 95% film use, over the past 6 months probably spent under an hour playing games.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Play it a bit, but I've got a stupidly short attention span. The only games that I enjoy long term are football, and GTurismo. Bought a 360, played Forza2, didn't think much of it so sold it on. GT5 will (eventually!) take over my life tbh.

E87 118d M Sport
if youve got a big 1080p tv and you watch alot of films, then the extra few quid (over the cost of a dvd) makes alot of difference.

and with the blu-ray built into my games console, i would never buy a dvd again.

Dark Knight on Blu-Ray is AMAZING!!!!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Whenever I can, TBH, Dan. I get in from work on Monday to Wednesday and have around an hour or so as Gem is out. She's off on Thursday and Friday, though. Then weekends I play a fair bit, too.

Evenings are usually Football Manager 2010 time on the laptop, but if she goes on it, I'll go on the XBox :cool:

Then you'll probably find time to play it.

Added bonus of blurays is handy too. Although paying £15 for them can get tiresome! lol..

Octy VRS
I reckon if the other half is willing to fork out for one then go for it. You'll love Blu-Ray and if you can be bothered you can set it up for all sorts of media applications. As well as the mentioned games above there are also future releases, the awesome looking MAG and Agent. Plus there are some decent fun PSN games.

Revels Mum & Sister
Just to be clear, it will be purely as a games machine for the unique titles. I won't be using the PSNetwork or anything. If a game is available for both consoles, I'll always opt for the XB360 version. This would be for games such as Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, GoW3, GT5 etc. etc.

Oh, and of course the Blu-Ray player.

I have one. Rarely gets used. Its first outing recently has been Uncharted 2. Before that LBP and MGS. Think that is all I have played on it.

Used to use it for Blu Rays but I have a Popcorn Hour C-200 so never really use it.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Thing I bought my PS3 for blu-ray, didn't even really care about games. But because it was there, I got well into it! Have 10+ games now and pretty much play it everyday, really didn't expect to be like that :)