ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS4 Slim

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Any of you guys in the know when this is due? I'm in the market for a PS4 but I don't want to buy one if there's a new one due out around the corner.

Can't find anything online!

Thanks a lot

Yaris Hybrid
There ain't gonna be a slim one for a long while. I suspect they will focus on reducing the heat and noise of the current model which IMO was too small at launch and compromised on cooling/noise due to poor airflow.

There is a new model that is slowly appearing in small numbers right now. The CUH-1200 and I think the UK model is the CUH-1216 or something like that.

Wait a month or two. It has revised internals. Produces less heat and the fan noise is claimed to be quite a bit lower. Some people claim to have them but they are rare as rocking horse s**t and I ain't managed to find one yet.

They are matt black all over so that horrible glossy panel that always gets scratched or shows finger prints has gone. At the moment they are just clearing out all the existing stock of the old model but I suspect in a couple of months most on sale will be the new one.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
There's a heat and noise issue? Can't say I've noticed on my launch day one, it lives on top of an amplifier too and I've never even heard a whisper out of it.

Golf R/Leon FR
I can hear the fan on mine (9 months old) but only when the wife puts it inside the TV cabinet. Usually I have it on the top and it's fine.

DCi
There's a heat and noise issue? Can't say I've noticed on my launch day one, it lives on top of an amplifier too and I've never even heard a whisper out of it.
Same - occasionally I hear it but not normally

It sits on a shelf so it's not like in a unit with poor airflow etc

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
There ain't gonna be a slim one for a long while. I suspect they will focus on reducing the heat and noise of the current model which IMO was too small at launch and compromised on cooling/noise due to poor airflow.

There is a new model that is slowly appearing in small numbers right now. The CUH-1200 and I think the UK model is the CUH-1216 or something like that.

Wait a month or two. It has revised internals. Produces less heat and the fan noise is claimed to be quite a bit lower. Some people claim to have them but they are rare as rocking horse s**t and I ain't managed to find one yet.

They are matt black all over so that horrible glossy panel that always gets scratched or shows finger prints has gone. At the moment they are just clearing out all the existing stock of the old model but I suspect in a couple of months most on sale will be the new one.

There was a link to a website selling these on HUKD the other day, quite a reasonable price too.

I've got a white PS4 so quite like the matte/gloss thing.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Thanks all! Must say, I would rather not have the glossing so i'll be keeping an eye out for one of those!

Yaris Hybrid
The heat and noise issue will manifest itself in games that tend to stress the console constantly.

Tomb Raider is a good one as it runs up to 60fps but the console is rarely able to maintain that frame rate so it is constantly running at 100% load. The beach section is quite punishing for it.

Other games that are capped to 30 often run quietly however.

But don't take my word for it, the new CUH-1200 has been tested and the sound level measured. The new model is quieter by around 6db and power consumption is down by a fair margin too. You are talking as much as half the power consumption in standby and 20% whilst gaming.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Managed to get the new version for £251 :)

here with a discount code. Contacted their customer relations department who confirmed its the newer version.

On 20 August 2015 at 15:44, Tristram Stalham <t> wrote:
Hi Luke,

I can confirm that our PS4 500GB Black consoles are the new model, CUH-12**. This is fully Matt Black and has been made to be quieter and
more economical by using less power .

Regards
Tris

On 20/08/2015 15:40, Luke wrote:
Hi there,

I'm looking to purchase a PS4 from your website, but before I go ahead and purchase I have a really simple query.

Could you please tell me if the PS4 which would be sent to me has a handle on the box or not? I appreciate this is a bit of a strange one, but Sony have released an updated version of the PS4 which is quieter and is the version i'm looking for!

Thanks for your help
Luke

Yaris Hybrid
Heh just ordered one myself! Will swap over my hybrid drive when it arrives and flog off my old PS4!

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I have my ps4 on a 2 pronged shelf so it gets full airflow and doesn't trap heat.. I actually got it for the xbox360 as that was known for warping it's boards/chips and needing re soldered.. I also wear headphones most of the time so don't notice any problems..

I wouldn't and haven't left a console, laptop or PC boiling up on a surface, trapped by a desk, since blowing my PC tower..p

Yaris Hybrid
It's not really a heat "problem". Nothing like the 360 issues. No technical issue at all. It is no worse than many a PC, in fact quieter than many a PC. I have my PS4 connected to a home cinema system and on quiet scenes or talky sections on *some* games the fan can be intrusive when you don't have headphones isolating you as I do on my PC.

It is noisier than my 980ti's by some margin though as they have a really laissez faire fan profile where as the PS4's ramps up quite a bit.

Also I don't like the gloss panel and the touch sensitive buttons which turn the bleeding thing on and eject the disk when I try to wipe the dust off the crappy gloss plastic!

Edit: Also my launch version pad is sh*t because if you charge it from a dock or something and then unplug it, you have to manually hold down the PS button for 10 seconds to turn the pad off because it won't turn off automatically and will drain flat. I've not seen a way to update the firmware in it or whatever the problem is.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
It's not really a heat "problem". Nothing like the 360 issues. No technical issue at all. It is no worse than many a PC, in fact quieter than many a PC. I have my PS4 connected to a home cinema system and on quiet scenes or talky sections on *some* games the fan can be intrusive when you don't have headphones isolating you as I do on my PC.

It is noisier than my 980ti's by some margin though as they have a really laissez faire fan profile where as the PS4's ramps up quite a bit.

Also I don't like the gloss panel and the touch sensitive buttons which turn the bleeding thing on and eject the disk when I try to wipe the dust off the crappy gloss plastic!

Edit: Also my launch version pad is sh*t because if you charge it from a dock or something and then unplug it, you have to manually hold down the PS button for 10 seconds to turn the pad off because it won't turn off automatically and will drain flat. I've not seen a way to update the firmware in it or whatever the problem is.
Can you recommend a Hybrid Drive? Also, I assume Sony are happy for us to 'manually' upgrade from 500 gb to 1tb?

Yaris Hybrid
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BHRWHNI/?tag=cliospnet01-21

That's the one I have.

Yeah they even provide the firmware to download and instructions so you can upgrade it.

I personally get my firmware here:

http://www.ps4firmware.com/

as I found the firmware linked on Sony's website often didn't point to the latest version. You want the "recovery" version and obviously the UK/EU firmware.

Instructions here:

https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Upgrade-PS4-HDD

I always back up my most important saves to the USB stick as well as uploading them to the PSN cloud just to be double sure. Don't want to lose my GTA or Witcher saves with that much time sunk into them so better safe than sorry.

Yaris Hybrid
Just got my new one and it is a s**tload quieter than my original launch PS4.

Tomb Raider used to lead to massive fan noise. Now it is inaudible and I've been stress testing it on the beach for 30 minutes. Under full load it is completely drowned out by my PC idling and my PC is very quiet on idle. I had to put my hands round the back of the console because I was afraid the fan wasn't working at all but I can feel a small amount of warm air being pushed out.

Very pleased with the upgrade.

Yaris Hybrid
Not yet.

Not in 1GB either.

Yet.

Eventually all will use the new hardware, just gonna be a few months I guess whilst old stock is cleared out.

Listerine & Poledo
Must say I've never had an issue with the fan noise.
Maybe I'm just deaf, or just that I've got the sound via the amp drowning it out.
That said, until Fallout comes out, all it's doing is gathering dust in its vents.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Never had a problem with mine either, but it does sit on a cold tiled floor at the moment.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I never noticed the noise on mine until this week when we changed furniture. It was sat on a big open TV unit and it was fine. Now it's in a fairly enclosed unit and making a right noise, think I'll have to shift it and sit it behind the TV on top of the unit.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Never had a problem with mine either, but it does sit on a cold tiled floor at the moment.

Completely off topic but my girlfriend just walked past and read your post as it was on the screen at the time and she said, "Is he talking about his willy?".