ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Question about locking tools

02 Clio 172
Cars at the garage at the moment, having cambelt + dephaser and couple of other things done. I was concerned about the garage having the right locking tools for the job, asked them and they said they had the kit. Have dealt with them alot and theyr pretty good.

However, mechanic (who said it would take a day to do the work) has called and said he does not have the tool to change the dephaser pulley but can get it tomorow. As i understand, the dephaser pulley tool is part of the locking kit. Does this mean he does not have the correct renaultsport locking tools?
Is the dephaser pulley a seperate part of the kit from the locking tools themselves? As in, could he have the correct locking tools but simply misplaced/lost track of the dephaser tool ? thanks

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Dephaser is not a servicable part, only gets changed when broken.

So it won't be part of the cambelt tool kit.

Well thats my educated guess anyway.

Lotus Elise
Sounds like he doesn't have the third tool (which is the one no-one has) which locks the inlet and exhaust cams. It is only availible from Renault themselves.

02 Clio 172
Yes this is what i mean, it may not be a tool that is used directly on the dephaser pulley it may just be a tool that enables the dephaser pulley to be changed by locking things in place.
Is this third tool the renaultsport specific one then? And even though he is getting the correct tool tomorow, if he has already stripped it down to put the new cam belt / dephaser on without the third locking tool does this mean timing problems/im fecked?

BMW M135i
No its not renaultsport specific, he won't have any problems going this far without using the pulley locking tool but he needs it to slacken the exhaust pulley nut and the dephaser pulley bolt off to allow the new belt to be fitted properly.