ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Questions On Car Towing

ValverInBits
I'm looking to buy a white MK1 Valver shell for a project I have in mind.

I reckon that white (apart from Yellow) is the rarest colour in valvers, so I may have to travel to get what I want.
One car that I have in mind is a runner without tax or MOT and it's about 100 miles away from me.

If I had a mate (in a 1.2 clio) "tow" me on a rope, but i had the engine running for brakes and a little power - what are the police going to make of this?

I'd need an "on tow" sign, and the towing car's number plate on the back iirc?
Is an 18 year old with a licence just over 1 year licenced to tow?
Is there a standard length for a tow rope?

thanks in advance

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
No tax = no use of road.

Also for towing, you wouldnt need to use the engine if you had a tow BAR, because the car infront controls everything so all you need is to turn really.

Yes an 18 year old with 1 year is allowed to tow.

ValverInBits
No tax = no use of road.

Also for towing, you wouldnt need to use the engine if you had a tow BAR, because the car infront controls everything so all you need is to turn really.

Yes an 18 year old with 1 year is allowed to tow.

But not tow a trailer iirc. New Licences (including mine) mean that i can't tow a trailer without taking a further test. I've been driving just over 3 years.

ValverInBits
Just been on the DSA website. Licenses passed after 1st jan 1997 are not enough to tow a trailer (doesent mention towing cars)
It's £105 to get a practical test for adding trailers to a B license (makes it a B+E)

FCUKIN RIPOFF. standard test is like £56 quid.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
It is ok as long as the vehicle is roadworthy. (has brakes, legal & safe tyres, indicators etc) If using a rigid bar or towing dolly, just a rolling chassis is permitted. The driver of the towed vehicle must have at least third party liability insurance. The towed vehicle does NOT have to have a current MOT or TAX, PROVIDING it is only going on a one way journey. (be it scrapyard, MOT, SVA etc) Any officer who stops the convoy may request proof of such after the journey.(MOT failure/pass certificate etc) The rear of the towed car Should have a clear notice stating ON TOW or TOWED VEHICLE. Hazzard warning lamps need only be used when required (unnessecary use may confuse other drivers). If no indicators are used, appropriate hand signals must be used to warn other drivers of your movements. Stay well below the speed limit, & remember to allow for extra weight when braking.
From another website.
So it is allowed to tow without MOT or tax on a one way journey but has to be a RIGID bar not a rope.

ValverInBits
That's what I wanted to know! Thanks mate, that's great.

Would you mind linking me to your source?

ValverInBits
oh and can someone also tell me how the rigid tow bars work? Do they just attach to the towing eyes of the two cars? Or do they require a tow bar?

2005 Nissan Navara
yes, static bar goes between the towing eyes. Legally speaking, if you go on a M.way your only allowed to go one junction, that is to say its in emergency to get you off the M.way.

As for trailers, its not as clear-cut as people think. The general understanding is that if you passed your test after the cut-off date, you can only tow 750kg.
However, if you look into it the actual law is 750kg with a tow vehicle of MGW=3500kg OR so long as the combined weight of the MGW of the trailer AND the tow vehicle is LESS than or equal to 3500kg, you can tow UPTO the MGW of the towing vehicle.
SO in practice of youve got a van with MGW=2000kg, you can legally tow a trailer plated to 1500kg.
IIRC the small Brian James trailers are 1300-1500kg, so with a car/van MGW less than 2000 (so long as the towing capacity suits) you would be legal.

Not many people know this. It can be confirmed on the DVLA website.