ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

r0ss172's Golf R Estate

Countryman JCW
Hi Everyone,

Thought id post up a thread for my new Golf R Estate. Got the car on a really cheap lease deal and really enjoying it so far. Heres a few pictures and quick video.

Comments welcome

image_9.jpg

image_10.jpg

image_11.jpg

image_12.jpg

Ross

I like that VW have got into the quick estate market and theyve got the styling spot on. If you dont mind me asking, what's it costing you?

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Looks great!!!

Epic!

@RyG I bet this excites you!

Very much so! I hope to get my delivery date soon.

I like that VW have got into the quick estate market and theyve got the styling spot on. If you dont mind me asking, what's it costing you?

Unsure if the same deal as me, but mine is £1800 down and £202.80 a month for 2 years.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Looks good although I'm not a fan of the pauper spec rear lights they come with. I find the LED units much cleaner to look at. But meh.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I was seriously tempted by one of these but the down-payment kinda spoiled the fun of it for me. Couldn't justify the outlay for the 6 miles a year I do ha !

Those wheels IMO are absolutely godawful too.

Aside from that... fast wagons FTW !

Subaru, arctic 182FF
I Honestly wouldnt give the rear lights and the wheels a second thought . They both look fine and are not worth the talking point to put a dampner on what is a very nice package at a good price.
Like these a lot and now off to google to find the best place to bag one.
Any suggestions where to look ???

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I Honestly wouldnt give the rear lights and the wheels a second thought . They both look fine and are not worth the talking point to put a dampner on what is a very nice package at a good price.
Like these a lot and now off to google to find the best place to bag one.
Any suggestions where to look ???

You'll be paying circa £450 a month for one now!

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I was seriously tempted by one of these but the down-payment kinda spoiled the fun of it for me. Couldn't justify the outlay for the 6 miles a year I do ha !

Those wheels IMO are absolutely godawful too.

Aside from that... fast wagons FTW !

You're correct on the wheels, horrific. And the lights are a bit of a dissapointment (the exhaust too). But I can't get over how much of a great whole package it is! :D I can't wait!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Forum should be called golfR.net at this rate, everyone seems to be getting one.

Looks good though, proper lusting over a 3dr R at the min but I couldn't justify the cost.

Countryman JCW
You're correct on the wheels, horrific. And the lights are a bit of a dissapointment (the exhaust too). But I can't get over how much of a great whole package it is! :smiley: I can't wait!
I'm in the process of sourcing some Prets to replace the wheels which look a bit crappy in photos, but OK in the flesh. The exhaust sounds awesome so not sure what you don't like about it, other than what we discovered about the tips being bolt on additions? Sounds way better than the hatch does!

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I'm in the process of sourcing some Prets to replace the wheels which look a bit crappy in photos, but OK in the flesh. The exhaust sounds awesome so not sure what you don't like about it, other than what we discovered about the tips being bolt on additions? Sounds way better than the hatch does!

Yeah it was just the tailpipe bit, doesn't massively bother me, but I would have preferred a hatch exhaust.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The estate I saw only had two dirty tips too. The inner ones iirc. That makes them look even worse.

Countryman JCW
The estate I saw only had two dirty tips too. The inner ones iirc. That makes them look even worse.
That's interesting, my outer pipes are the ones that seem to be getting dirty. On the hatches, i always see the inner pipes getting dirty.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Exhaust is god awful. Fake tips that don't get dirty just looks crap.

But as a package, that's spot on. I'd love one.

Megan's rs250
Mate of mine has one of these , set of oz alloys and a map now has near as dam it 400bhp , ultimate sleeper for the family !

Countryman JCW
I've been seriously eyeing these up. Didn't realise there was such a good lease deal on.
Any chance of a few interior shots and what options you went for? :smile:
I'll get a few interior shots up no probs, but to be fair, you will probably get a better idea of the interior by googling it.

Options i didn't bother with as its a lease. You have to pay in full for any specified options over the term of the lease, so couldn't see the point as it was pretty well specc'd to begin with in all honesty.

Are you a member on another forum like club lupo as i recognise your picture and user name?

Countryman JCW
So, i've had the Golf a couple of months and still really enjoying it. Its a great car for either going for a blast, or something refined and comfortable on a long journey or commute.

Even with all that, i'm thinking i need another weekend car with a manual gear box and something i could possibly track that's a lot more raw, and that i can pamper and actually care about. Being a lease a bit like @Matthew said with his fiesta, i'm not really bonding with it, or feel like its really mine and giving me that sense of "giving a sh!T"

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
i'm thinking i need another weekend car with a manual gear box and something i could possibly track that's a lot more raw, and that i can pamper and actually care about. Being a lease a bit like @Matthew said with his fiesta, i'm not really bonding with it, or feel like its really mine and giving me that sense of "giving a sh!T"
lol, welcome to leaseclub.
I had the same issue with my M135i, & that was a manual lol. All the changes that it needed to make it better, i couldnt make!!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
So, i've had the Golf a couple of months and still really enjoying it. Its a great car for either going for a blast, or something refined and comfortable on a long journey or commute.

Even with all that, i'm thinking i need another weekend car with a manual gear box and something i could possibly track that's a lot more raw, and that i can pamper and actually care about. Being a lease a bit like @Matthew said with his fiesta, i'm not really bonding with it, or feel like its really mine and giving me that sense of "giving a sh!T"
Interesting to read. Probably from letting comments on here get in your head than anything else.

As far as a weekend car, you wouldn't lose any money on a Caterham. Don't know what your situation is but if you have the garage space and can afford a Tesco etc loan then that'd be my idea of a toy.

Countryman JCW
lol, welcome to leaseclub.
I had the same issue with my M135i, & that was a manual lol. All the changes that it needed to make it better, i couldnt make!!
I feel the exact same... id love to remap it, but being a lease ive got no chance!!

Interesting to read. Probably from letting comments on here get in your head than anything else.

As far as a weekend car, you wouldn't lose any money on a Caterham. Don't know what your situation is but if you have the garage space and can afford a Tesco etc loan then that'd be my idea of a toy.
I couldnt really polish/pamper something like that, its purely a drivers toy. Id quite like something a bit old school like a mint 5 GT turbo, or a turbo'd clio again possibly.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I couldnt really polish/pamper something like that, its purely a drivers toy. Id quite like something a bit old school like a mint 5 GT turbo, or a turbo'd clio again possibly.

Not that I have any experience myself, but I'd have thought you could absolutely polish/pamper something like that. The car is modular enough that you can build it from scratch, so any maintenance/tweaking should be a piece of piss.

Countryman JCW
Yeah very true, maybe its just that i'm not fussed about owning one then.

Just been reading @Waitey 's thread about the RS3 and seeing its averaging 32 MPG on a steady run!! im averaging 26-28 currently since taking delivery, and if i'm careful i'll just about get 31! its quite a thirsty car, but tbh i don't really care as i knew it would be like that and its too easy to make progress in it.

Cant help but think i wish id just forked out the extra initial and paid more each week for an RS3 now lol

Countryman JCW
Been a while since i updated this, so thought id post my thoughts after just over 6 months of ownership...

Its done just over 7k now and is running faultlessly. Averaging about 28mpg, much lower when on the loud pedal, but then not much higher when on my work commute (mixture of A/B roads - 20miles each way). Having owned an Auto/DSG car now, i think id find it hard to adjust and go back to a manual, but that for me is one of the things that i'm not massively sold on with the Golf. I feel like its missing something to make it a car i love to drive. I have commented in the Golf R thread about the car not being the sort i want to throw about and give it some like i have always found with my clio's. Im not comparing this to a clio, but for sheer fun and enjoyment its miles apart. The Golf is probably infinitely more capable than any clio i've owned, and that's probably why i don't want to or haven't really given it some on any corners yet, because it involves doing silly speeds to get it to a point of being "on the limit".

With this being the estate, it really is very very convenient and makes it a great all rounder. It doesn't feel anything like an estate car at all. My mate owns an Evo 9 wagon and drove it the other day. He immediately said he liked how planted it was with minimal body roll in comparison to his Wagon. Its a nice compromise of stiff with little roll, but also quite comfortable at the same time, quite a nice package all round. I have very recently had a baby girl and putting her pram into the boot is too easy. I've owned a 3 series estate which had a fair size boot, but this is massive in comparison! we got the pram and a fairly sized Christmas tree in the other week and there was still room for more. We just put the seat down on one side (using the little releases - very very handy) and job done.

The next thing is the faux by four drive train. Having owned an Evo myself, i really noticed the drive train and its lack of character. I definitely miss that real 4WD system, but again, the golf's system is very good at doing what it needs to do, so no wheel spin at all from the get-go.

The interior on the car is fair. Its not a BMW/MERC, but its functional and a pretty comfortable place to be. The seats are comfortable and pretty good at keeping you in them when going round a tight corner. The blue lights are a really nice touch (in my opinion), but some people may find it a bit chavvy/gypo.

On the whole its a great all round car. Its very very good at commuting and munching up the miles, but then when you need it to make progress, a stamp on the accelerator see's you up to speed very quickly. If i had my time again, i would definitely go for the estate over the hatch. The convenience of the bigger boot, and the wolf in sheep's clothing (minus the exhausts) has a lot of appeal to me !

Roll on the next year or so of ownership....

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Absolutely love these.

Defo: Estate > hatch. Not a fan of those rims though but still an awesome car.

Countryman JCW
I've been driving my fiance's A1 to work and back the last 2 days as its been sat still after she had a cesarean section giving birth to our daughter, so hasn't been allowed to drive. Thought id take it out for a spin to make sure the battery doesn't die and that its all ok, and my god what fun its been!! in comparison to the golf, having a gear stick and clutch has made my commute to work so enjoyable!! It just confirmed everything i said up there... its a nice car to get around in and make pace where you need it to, but it lacks the fun factor for sure! I'm not sure whether that's just because its an auto, or whether its because its just not that sort of car, but i'm glad i've got this little Audi to chuck about on the odd day here and there!

I've started looking at S1's again for her now in a 4 door as hers is a 3 door and will be a pain with the new arrival! :cool:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've been driving my fiance's A1 to work and back the last 2 days as its been sat still after she had a cesarean section giving birth to our daughter, so hasn't been allowed to drive. Thought id take it out for a spin to make sure the battery doesn't die and that its all ok, and my god what fun its been!! in comparison to the golf, having a gear stick and clutch has made my commute to work so enjoyable!! It just confirmed everything i said up there... its a nice car to get around in and make pace where you need it to, but it lacks the fun factor for sure! I'm not sure whether that's just because its an auto, or whether its because its just not that sort of car, but i'm glad i've got this little Audi to chuck about on the odd day here and there!

I've started looking at S1's again for her now in a 4 door as hers is a 3 door and will be a pain with the new arrival! :cool:
Will the s1 boot be big enough with a kid to cart around?

Listerine & Poledo
Love most things about these R-estates.
Same as the super-Leon estate or an Octavia, or a massive volvo, Estates are just better :)

But VW need to quit having as many exhaust tips as the car has cylinders, a pair of big ovals would have, in my eyes, looked better..... of course, I understand that 2 pipes just isnt enough any more.

Countryman JCW
Will the s1 boot be big enough with a kid to cart around?

Yeah we bought a pram called an I-Candy which folds down smaller than any other we saw so that fits in her boot which is the exact same size as the S1. Only difference is you can remove part of the boot floor for an extra few inches of depth which you don't actually need. S1 has all the running gear and diff instead of this compartment.

Love most things about these R-estates.
Same as the super-Leon estate or an Octavia, or a massive volvo, Estates are just better :smile:

But VW need to quit having as many exhaust tips as the car has cylinders, a pair of big ovals would have, in my eyes, looked better..... of course, I understand that 2 pipes just isnt enough any more.

Yep couldn't agree more!! RS3 style would look awesome