ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Race fuel cell

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Hi all

After the decision of going all out on my track toy i'm thinking of removing my fuel tank and filler neck for weight distribution and just for the hell of it, what i want to know has anyone taken their standard out cut the floor away and welded the floor up like a (U shape) allowing the race cell to fit inside the (U shape) inside the car?

Hope it makes sence to you.

Any info would be great.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
cutting the floor out is going to weaken the main structure of the car!

this! you are going to seriously mess up the structural rigidity of the car. why cant you just weld the fuel cell inside without having to cut things ?

M3, Cup racer'd 182
cutting the floor out is going to weaken the main structure of the car!

Yes your right but i was going to weld the floor back up as a |__| (where the standard sits) allowing the fuel cell to sit inside it. Also having a metal floor underneath the fuel cell giving it protection.

If i was on the lap top i'd draw a diagram but sadly i'm in work on my iPhone.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
this! you are going to seriously mess up the structural rigidity of the car. why cant you just weld the fuel cell inside without having to cut things ?

The centre gravity would be higher! As the fuel cell would be above the standard.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
You want the cog lower not higher.

Originally Posted by clancy

Below my comment
The centre gravity would be higher! As the fuel cell would be above the standard.

I know that's my answer to the question above by Clancy.

clio 182
Do clio's, as in 172/182 not have built in swirl pots in the standard tank? So this would be completely just a visual thing to look good?

I could be wrong though?

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Can it not be done if cars had swirl pots as standard?

Does'nt the swirl pot have a filter inside so acting as a big filter?

182cup & 172 racecar
Do clio's, as in 172/182 not have built in swirl pots in the standard tank? So this would be completely just a visual thing to look good?

I could be wrong though?
You might be right or wrong,but if there is one it's totally useless.LOL at just a visual thing.
2991.jpg

2992.jpg

from talking to Matt @ TDF i didn`t think there was much of a fuel surge issue on the clios??..

as for chopping the back out and dropping a tank in, i`m guessing you mean like this?

212.jpg

209.jpg

228-1.jpg

304.jpg

Photo942.jpg

its a F**K lot of work and a quick breakdown of prices...

steel box - £25 - made myself - probably £100 ish at a fabricators
ally tank - £50 - made myself - 300 - 500 at a reputable tank builder... my company would certainly be at the upper end of that scale for a baffled/tig`d tank...

lifter pump - £60
bosch 044 pump - £120
filter - £30
swirl pot - £70
level sender - £50
aero cap - £70
breather valve - £25
gasket for tank top plate - £30
goodridge fittings - £25 - £30 EACH!! and theres about 25 of them in my fuel system so say £650
goodrige fuel line - cant remember now.. but get the teflon stuff not that cheap rubber s**t some people use FFS... say £100

ive left off tank foam/Pclips and most importantly labour costs but tbh... probably not worth it unless your a idiot like me or a poser... erm... like me....

Last edited:
  M3, Cup racer'd 182
YES exactly like the above pics but to clarify
Here's a diagram to explain better, be prepared for my amazing skills in paint lol.
standard setup below
91fb8856.gif

And finally how i'd have it.
aa0fd4a3.gif

frenchthing got skills!

Stu is the f**king daddy!!

You should see his full build thread for his 106 - it makes me stiff

Max - step the feck away - even your drawing shows you'll end up with the exact same location for the tank - there's ZERO benefit
Just fit a decent swirl pot setup if you really want one

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Stu is the f**king daddy!!

You should see his full build thread for his 106 - it makes me stiff

Max - step the feck away - even your drawing shows you'll end up with the exact same location for the tank - there's ZERO benefit
Just fit a decent swirl pot setup if you really want one

Will gander through his project :),

As to "fuel tank will be in the same place" what do you think stu has done?
The fuel tank is more centralised and compact compared to the stock one.

Have you taken the fuel tank off a clio 182? It hold more fuel on the drivers side giving no central balance.

182cup & 172 racecar
Have you taken the fuel tank off a clio 182? It hold more fuel on the drivers side giving no central balance.

That's why you have it corner weighted,don't get too lost in all the tech stuff.
But if that's what you want to do then do it.

Oh and frenchthing,yes they do suffer from surge (fuel).

M3, Cup racer'd 182

That's why you have it corner weighted,don't get too lost in all the tech stuff.
But if that's what you want to do then do it.

Oh and frenchthing,yes they do suffer from surge (fuel).

I'll try not to get to lost in the tech stuff.

But won't the corner weighted vary from time to time with less fuel/more fuel so hard to keep the balance central?

182cup & 172 racecar
I wasn't being funny by the way,just that some people get lost in all this shiz.

We tested at Mallory from full race fuel set up to running on fumes,mainly to check the balance of the car,lap times didn't alter,all within a few tenths.
Fred was there doing the timing.So no i wouldn't bother.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
I wasn't being funny by the way,just that some people get lost in all this shiz.

We tested at Mallory from full race fuel set up to running on fumes,mainly to check the balance of the car,lap times didn't alter,all within a few tenths.
Fred was there doing the timing.So no i wouldn't bother.

I didn't think that you was being funny at all mate.

Well that's made my mind up then, just get the car corner weighted and job done then :),
Does Fred have the Facilities to corner weight the car as well as geometry setup?.

At least this way is saves me shed loads of money and time fabricating things.

Also - they hold more fuel in the right hand size because that's where the fuel pump is lol

It's up to you mate - but it's a lot of money/work and if you're not really careful weaking of the chassis for very very very little gain
I'm just going to fit a swirl pot in the spare wheel well like the burpspeed car and run braided lines down to the ITB's

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Also - they hold more fuel in the right hand size because that's where the fuel pump is lol

It's up to you mate - but it's a lot of money/work and if you're not really careful weaking of the chassis for very very very little gain
I'm just going to fit a swirl pot in the spare wheel well like the burpspeed car and run braided lines down to the ITB's

Thought it was a good idea and have more gains Tbh, but from what Tony said there's very little gains so not worth all the time and money.

I'll just fit a swirl pot if anything.
Cheers mate.

frenchthing got skills!

haha cheers.. but im out of my depth wiring the fecker.. Lord Faulks has that duty..

As for my tank.. i couldnt go lower really as the exhaust limits that.. i could have gone wider and lower but then you ideally need multi pickups for the lifter.. its quite high as i want to do some euro trips so upped the std capacity from 45 to 55 litres...