ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Racing slicks

-Dan-

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys can anybody advice me where best to go to get full racing slick and racing wet tyres as I've now done well over 20-30 track days in my clio and the only thing that's letting it down is the tires, 5-6 Hard laps and they start over heating and losing lots/all there grip.

The last event I did it was hammering down all day and I had a set of bald 888 and t1R and they were useless, couldn't keep with anything!

Think it's now time for some full racing tyres

To suit the 15" Oz F1 wheels

Regards Dan

Can't help you on the slicks.

But you could try a better tyre for the dry, like the Direzzas. Get some fresh 888s as intermediates. And something like Toyo R1R or those Rainsports for wets.

-Dan-

ClioSport Club Member
I'm considering the A048 but I don't need to drive to circuit on the wheels as I have a few sets for road, just want something that's going offer me performae without compromise

Dunlop Direzza is a great tyre apparently. I've heard it's noticeably better than 888s. It's what a lot of the race car guys use.

So would be a step up from A048s. I'd definitely be going for the Direzzas over these!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Impressed with my Yokohama AD08R so far, great in the dry and wet although a bit difficult to get heat into when wet. If you want more performance in the dry then DZ03G are very good, get the hard compound rather than the medium.

What tyres were you overheating?

Megane R26
I thought the AD08Rs were good until I went in anther clio directly after (both on track) with A048s. The A048s blow the AD08Rs away.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Beware, Some TDO's don't allow slicks without a cage, I certainly wouldn't

You can't compare AD08R's to A048's, One is a high performance road tyre, The other is a proper R rated track tyre.

DZ03's for outright grip, Best R rated tyre that i have used. Need to try some PSC2's though

888's are outdated and not that great tbh, road carcass with a soft compound, Keen to see how the R88R fairs when it is finally brought out in the Uk.

I wouldn’t suggest going full racing slick on any car unless it is a fully prep’d race car with no rubber bushes, proper racing dampers with stiff spring rates otherwise all you end up doing is knackering the car.

With the racing I do we have to run a road legal tyre and I’ve tried most of them. The best I have found is:

Dry: Dunlop DZ03 205/50 15
Damp: Toyo R888 195/50 15
Wet: Avon CR28’s 195/50 15

They are leagues ahead of anything else I tried for those certain conditions

A048s are very good, better than 888s.

Whatever tyres you get try a medium compound, they will take a little while longer to get up to temp but you'll find they won't go off nowhere near as quick and you'll have a much more enjoyable session.

You can even run soft on the rear and medium on the front.

-Dan-

ClioSport Club Member
My current R888 are Medium compound, although to be fair when i bough the car they had been fitted for a few track events, and i did run them all year on the road. probably used the heat the heat cycles

Yeah too many heat cycles is most likely the problem with your current R888's. Some fresh rubber will be a huge improvement no doubt. Tyres are a personal preference so you may have to try a few different brands to see what works best for you. A048r's are a great place to start tho.

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i get my slicks off ebay. usually about £150 for a set of 4.
my last set lasted about 6 track days. all i can say is awsome. just make sure you have new ball joints and trackrod ends, oh and some great brakes.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
In my experience, Newish good condition R rated Semi slicks give better outright traction that worn slicks.

Saying that, Turn in on slicks is savage!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I thought the AD08Rs were good until I went in anther clio directly after (both on track) with A048s. The A048s blow the AD08Rs away.

You can't compare the two...one is an ultra high performance road tyre MSA List 1A and the other is a road legal slick MSA List 1B. Try them both in the wet and then see what comes out on top. The AD08R is a great all rounder and it doesn't go off after plenty of abuse.

Anyway for all the posts above I'll repeat. DZ03G > any other List 1B tyre R888/A048/V70A included

Megane R26
I wasn't criticising the AD08R; they are a great tyre which I was very impressed by. It was more a commendation of the A048.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I wasn't criticising the AD08R; they are a great tyre which I was very impressed by. It was more a commendation of the A048.
Yeah they're not a bad tyre, a little better than the R888 imo. But I'd go Dunlop, Michelin pilot sport cup first; although I haven't tried the pilot sports only read excellent reviews.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
AD08R are a MSA list 1B tyre, only the original AD08 is a list 1A and no longer available.
Considering they are in the same category, the AD08R is nowhere near as good as the A048

Just down to the excessive grip?

If you do 30 mins in a decent go kart on corporate tyres, and then try and the same on proper race MSA tyres the difference in physicality is immense. I once did a 45 min race at Thruxton with a set of tyres they were "experimenting" with, and got black flagged after 40 mins (in bloody second place too) because i couldn't hold my head up straight and was letting it rest to one side on the straight - and that was a big heavy 4-stroke!

Same principle for a car on slicks - without the inevitable slip you get with road or fast road tyres, then that kinetic energy with the shift in direction and transfer of weight has to go somewhere, so it's absorbed by the car - the bushings especially. I think running slicks is more than just running a cage - PMS do reinforced wishbones i was looking at for the Trophy, plus was looking at black series bushings all around before i get some 15s and put slicks on. Mark Fish springs too.