ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RDH's R56 Cooper S

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Right, well I've had the car a week today and I've finally got round to giving it a good clean and some pictures. At the moment I'm absolutely loving it, and in this thread I thought I'd also do a comparison with the 182 (which I really miss!). I'll also use it as a blog and update as I go along.

First up I'll have one last picture ***** of the 182. Was devastated when the guy drove it away, but it was time to move on. Epic car and I'll no doubt be back in one at some point. I use the following picture alot, but I don't care. It looks f*cking epic.

7442052272_81857bd998_z.jpg

7 by Arctic_182, on Flickr

And now onto the R56. When I knew I was selling the Clio, I had my heart set on a R32. Looked at quite a few and I was on the way to put a deposit down on a fully specced up Recaro'd DBP MK5, when the guy rung and said he'd just sold it. So the search was back on. But after many nights of the other half nagging etc etc, we both decided it would be best to get something cheaper so we could purchase a house sooner. So the R32's went straight out of the window. I was looking round on loads of forums, Z4s/TTs/225s, when I stumbled on this for sale over on MT. A fairly respected member over there was selling up, and after many emails and texts, I gave a deposit and travelled the 230 miles to pick it up!

8105661326_1573c54e3b_z.jpg

R56 1 by Arctic_182, on Flickr

8105651235_c89381449c_z.jpg

R56 2 by Arctic_182, on Flickr

8105669108_38e71e7c0d_z.jpg

R56 3 by Arctic_182, on Flickr

8105672322_c6b427937c_z.jpg

R56 5 by Arctic_182, on Flickr

8105661835_ba1ee9d3e1_z.jpg

R56 6 by Arctic_182, on Flickr

8105664309_9155d770a8_z.jpg

R56 7 by Arctic_182, on Flickr

8105644613_22e508e776_z.jpg

R56 010 by Arctic_182, on Flickr

8105667677_0b52a8caec_z.jpg

R56 8 by Arctic_182, on Flickr

What it needs:
  • Lowering. The current arch gap is beyond rediculous. (Although I'm loving having something that isn't stupidly low)
  • New plates
  • New front side lights as the yellow looks sh*t against the Xenons.
  • A good machine polish which it'll be getting after winter.
I doubt I'll do any of it before winter as I'm going to be working like a pr*ck. So I will barely drive it let alone do anything to it.

Based on first impressions I love it. A much more sorted car than my old R53 was. Quicker, better built, more economical. Just an all round better car. Seeing as this a Clio forum though, more people will be interested to see how I feel when I compare it to the 182. So here goes..

Performance.

It's difficult to compare because the Mini is so much more refined than the 182, the sensation of speed is less and it basically doesn't feel like you are going as fast. If I had to choose I would say that the 182 is marginally quicker, but in some situations such as motorway cruising or around town, the Mini is 100% quicker due to the turbo. It's such a lazy engine in terms of you can pile speed on pretty quickly, without even noticing. Where as with the 182 to get anywhere you need to screw it's b*lls off to gain pace. Two very different cars in that respect. And I'd say the 182 has a more 'fun' engine and is alot more suited to being thrashed. IMO though the R56 has the best day to day engine, as the torque makes progress so much easier.

Handling.

The 182 'handled' better. Simple. The R56 has alot more grip that the 182 did (probably due to the 18s) but as an overall experience the 182 was much more fun to drive. Not to say the Mini is boring, but again due to the refinement it just feels like a solid car. It will no doubt go round corners as fast as my 182 would, but I had much more fun in the 182. I miss the twitchyness on the edge, which was much easier to find in the Clio.

Interior/Build Quality.

The R56 blows the Clio into last week. Anyone who says the build quality on a Mini is crap is insane. Spec on mine is as follows:
  • Piano Black interior upgrade
  • Upgraded HiFi (Better speakers, better HU, tweeters in the A pillars and an amp built into the boot. It may have more speakers as well but I'm not sure)
  • MFSW
  • Cruise
  • Mood Lighting
The stereo is insanely good. On par with any Bose or other system I've heard which is a good thing as the stereo in the 182 really p*ssed me off near the end. The seating position is much better, and much more adjustable. Seats aren't as comfortable as the 182s but they are more supportive. Overall it is just a million times better place to sit than the Clio. The 4 hour trip home was a joy, compared to the 182 where it would have been living hell.

Most people won't be interested, but thought I'd share my thoughts as the Mini is very much a marmite car on here. I still miss the 182, and I wish their was some way I could of kept it but 3 cars and a Van was just too much.

For a b*lls out drive, the Clio wins hands down. But as a daily the R56 beats it every department bar boot space.

After the first week with the new car though, I'm very happy I decided to go back to a Mini :)

172 Cup
Excellent review, be very careful with the lowering. Suspension travel really makes a daily car bearable.

If you lower it too much you may find you don't like driving it as much as the current setup, your 182 really looked fantastic, but i imagine it could be a pain driving in town?

The mini looks like a very sensible upgrade.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent review, be very careful with the lowering. Suspension travel really makes a daily car bearable.

If you lower it too much you may find you don't like driving it as much as the current setup, your 182 really looked fantastic, but i imagine it could be a pain driving in town?

The mini looks like a very sensible upgrade.

Thanks mate. And yeah, I'm loving the fact I don't have to worry about speed bumps etc. In the 182 some places near me where a no go, and in the end I got fed up constantly being worried about the height.

If I do lower the Mini, it will only be on springs. My time of stupid lows on coilovers is over tbh.

172 Cup
Stick to something sensible, like the equivalent of eibach pros on a clio, if you must lower.

Sometimes fiddling with the ride height can really compromise the handling on rough roads, and you just won't make progress as well as a car with a little more arch gap. It really doesn't look bad at the moment.

Z4
Lovely mate! Love red cars.
I prefer it to the r32 personally. How much do thes fetch? Is the engine standard? I guess a remap could give you some more smiles

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah this isn't the JCW, just has the body kit. 175bhp quoted but most reckon they make between 180/190 standard. Think its 190ish torque. The standard turbo is only good for about 210bho so I've read but it is something I may look into. Although it could possibly be wasted as I've hardly driven it hard since I bought it. It's not an engine like the 182 where it begs you drive round like your hair is on fire.

The sport button is pretty cool. Weightens up the steering and sharpens the throttle response. Feels like a proper go-kart when you switch it on.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
nice write up. I really like this car mate, although it was sad to see the 182 go. Look forward to seeing it tomorrow.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Why did he sell it standard. Looked f**king epic.

You're coming tomorrow aren't you? Looks mint, really do like these.

Think the parts were just worth alot more on their own than on the car. I could have bought the wheels off him as he still has them, but it needs to be slammed to pull the look off and I cba with that anymore.

And yeah I should be there tomorrow :)

Thanks for the comments lads.

RB 182 (Cup Pack)
Interestingly enough, I've gone from an R56 Cooper S to a Clio :D

Hope you like it - I absolutely hated mine. The torque steer and steering kickback is horrendous, the ride unnecessarily hard, and the runflat tyres are rock hard. The interior rattles just as much as a Clio too.

Anwyay, enjoy!

This was mine

P1030204.gif

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Interestingly enough, I've gone from an R56 Cooper S to a Clio :D

Hope you like it - I absolutely hated mine. The torque steer and steering kickback is horrendous, the ride unnecessarily hard, and the runflat tyres are rock hard. The interior rattles just as much as a Clio too.

Anwyay, enjoy!

The runflats are rock hard, and the ride is hard. But I've come from the Clio on it's arse so it isn't as amplified as it would be to most people.

And like I said I really don't see where people are coming from on the rattles front. Mine is absolutely silent inside. Not a single rattle or squeek. You win some and lose some I suppose.

RB 182 (Cup Pack)
I think the runflats are partly responsible for the rattles.

What do you think of the turbo? Any issues with the death rattle, and has it had the fuel pump recall?

RB 182 (Cup Pack)
Compared to my 182, the Mini feels like it weighs a couple of tonnes. The Clio is just so immediate - whereas in the Mini you really feel that weight being lugged around. It doesn't turn in anywhere near as well as the Clio.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I think the runflats are partly responsible for the rattles.

What do you think of the turbo? Any issues with the death rattle, and has it had the fuel pump recall?

Enjoying the turbo at the minute, will have to see over my owenership whether I prefer forced or N/A engines. It has had all the recalls done, death rattle sorted although they still sound sh*t on idle. It's got a comprehensive warranty until March next year which I will be renewing.

Disagree with the turn in point, the Mini feels just as eager. Although the setup on my 182 could be to blame. I've never driven a 182 on standard suspension.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I really don't like minis but you seem like a decent guy lol ( you still taking photos at oulton). Looks nice enough tbf.

RB 182 (Cup Pack)
They do sound like a 3cyl diesel on idle - nasty!

In isolation, it's not a bad car (sport mode is still good fun), but unfortunately I think it's a case of (dubious) style over substance. A Clio 197 or equivalent is a better car.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I really don't like minis but you seem like a decent guy lol ( you still taking photos at oulton). Looks nice enough tbf.

Yeah I will be Dan providing I'm not needed at work.

And your not alone more people hate them than like them it seems. Just personal preference really.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
They do sound like a 3cyl diesel on idle - nasty!

In isolation, it's not a bad car (sport mode is still good fun), but unfortunately I think it's a case of (dubious) style over substance. A Clio 197 or equivalent is a better car.

Better drivers car yes.

As an overall package I respectfully disagree :) But it's all personal opinion.

RB 182 (Cup Pack)
I'd never driven a turbocharged car prior to the Mini. I think I got caught up in the excitement of that on the test drive - coming from my FRP it seemed so much faster. Also at the time it was the newest car I'd ever owned (2 and half years old when I got it), and compared to a eleven year old FRP, it seemed in a different league.

Alas, I realised after about six months it really was the wrong decision, but being a total knob I bought it on dealer finance so I couldn't shift it. It's only just become financially viable to get rid of it in the last few months.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah I will be Dan providing I'm not needed at work.

And your not alone more people hate them than like them it seems. Just personal preference really.

Meh, its your car dude enjoy it. Hopefully see you on the 31st Rob :)

Unlucky Alf

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra GTC
I want a cooper S. Exactly like that! Looks awesome. On the gold wheels it looked epic too!

That is just superb ! Looks like one I used to see down Essex area a while back...

Edit - just seen the pics of it on gold wheels and I'm pretty certain it is the one I used to see!!!! Lol it was like s**t off a shovel down the twisties and so hawt dropped on those rims too... The exhaust note was mental - has it still got the exhaust from before or is it stock?

Love those - kick the arse off some very fast metal with ease on the back roads...

Last edited:

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
That is just superb ! Looks like one I used to see down Essex area a while back...

Edit - just seen the pics of it on gold wheels and I'm pretty certain it is the one I used to see!!!! Lol it was like s**t off a shovel down the twisties and so hawt dropped on those rims too... The exhaust note was mental - has it still got the exhaust from before or is it stock?

Love those - kick the arse off some very fast metal with ease on the back roads...

It will probably be the same car. I picked it up from Ipswich but it may have been in Essex at some point. And no it is back on the standard exhaust mate.

Turbos.
Changing for normal tyres will undoubtedly turn it into a new car. In fact, may as well get some decent all-seasons (Auto Express did a recent tyre test) which will be good for the winter and still better than the runflats come summer...

Car looks great, certainly needs lowering though. Does the JCW come lower from factory or something, as it looks unusually high?

Certainly a better all round car than the old Clios. I could also justify getting some coilovers merely for ride quality though; it's not like you have to slam it.

MCS R56
Nice review. I've not long bought a new R56 myself and pretty much agree on everything you have said vs the Clio. I never used to like them but have come round, especially on the newer models. I'm loving the car and although I enjoyed the Clio, I now like having the toys and quality. Great cars.

Audi A5
Love the car mate, looks like a good purchase.

How are they on fuel?

Got any plans for it performance wise?

Mini Cooper S
Mine on eibach's:

IMG_9765.jpg

Absolutely love mine, would recommend a JCW backbox. See approx 30MPG.
I have 17" non runflats and my mate has the same set up as yours, his ride is probably slightly crashier.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
It's a great looking car. I wouldn't lower it otherwise it will be unbearable to drive every day. I have one minus the JWC body kit. I have had it almost 2 years now so I have a few words of warning / advise.

From experience keep a close eye on the oil level. Most of them including mine drink the stuff. Mine almost goes through a litre every 1000 miles. I have to carry oil in the car as I have to top it up so often. It's a common issue but mini say its normal.

Watch out for the slight misfire at idle. It means the engine is probably coke'd up. Very comman on the early ones. Mine had an engine rebuild under warranty. Cost the about 5k at dealer prices. I luckily didn't have to by. 30k miles later and it is doing it again. There is another "fix" which is all over the net that involves pouring cleaning product into the oil while the car is running. I don't fancy it but I'm told it works. My personal view to try and avoid this is servise the oil as often as you can. Do not stick to the variable servise intervals. I would say oil change every 6 - 8 k would certainly help the issue if not completely avoid it.

Thermostat housings crack quite often and result in the obvious. Not sure how you watch the temp on them as there isn't a gauge but if you check on top of the gearbox casing for drops of coolant it is a tell tail sign. Be warned mine went and I stopped the car a soon as I realised. But unfortunaly it had caused the engine to run hot already and it melted the bonnet scoop slightly. Mini didn't want to know abot the bonnet scoop but did fix the mechanical failure.

the dreaded timing chain rattle. I imagine yours will have been done under warranty already so when it goes again I would think hard about bothering to replace it. Mine rattle less than it did but in the winter is quote bad. I have not heard of one causing a failure yet but it is a very scary noise.

I have had a lot of other issues but these are the most comman and biggest issues I have experienced and I am pretty sure they are all comman and regulary seen by most owners.

The other thing you must check as a matter of urgency is that it has had it's water pump recall. It's free but if not done your insurance will not cover you if your car sets on fire. It has happened more than mini will let on but they did a recall so call mini and check your is done.

As for perfomance. I would say mine is quicker than my 172 if there is a rolling start and definatly quicker a long a twisty road. And once they are revving a bit they sound pretty good wi some nice loud pops and bangs when u lift off.

They are great fun to drive but equally as good at soaking up the motorway miles in a way the clio could never do. The radio is excellent ( mine is upgraded option ) and I think is better than some more primium cars I have used.

They are always an event to drive. With the funky interior and their exterior looks ( which are love it or hate it ). Just enjoy the car and keep an eye on the above so you don't get caught out and it will be great fun.

Audi A5
how do you chaps find the running costs comapred to the 1*2's?

and are the parts actually expensive on these like people make out?