ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RDH's R56 Cooper S

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
The water pump has been done. It has also had a full de-coke done but not sure how many miles ago. It is still under a comprehensive warranty so any problems that arise will hopefully be rectified :)

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
The water pump has been done. It has also had a full de-coke done but not sure how many miles ago. It is still under a comprehensive warranty so any problems that arise will hopefully be rectified :)

Sounds good that you have the warranty still. Like I said keep an eye on the oil and you should be fine.

Looks nice. Don't lower it.

No idea why some people are so obsessed with arch gaps.

Road car.

'they' are concerned with improving the ride, making it look better and also handle better... Simple premis IMO and one you would understand if you had tried the turbo mini - it needs proper suspension and tyres... Miss my old mini...

Surprised people are so against the mini as it is a genuinely good car an a lot of fun - the low down torque is superb!

Must admit I'm only not getting another as I want to give the Clio a chance... Plus it's a lot cheaper!!!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Looks superb mate. I love the new style jcw bodykit that's on them. Really nice kit.

I'd probably rid the stripes and fire some springs on but it's a pretty sorted car most definitely.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the comments fellas!

how do you chaps find the running costs comapred to the 1*2's?

and are the parts actually expensive on these like people make out?

Overall the Mini will be more expensive to run. Clios really do cost peanuts to run and maintain. And in regards to fuel, driven normally it will match the Clio, but the more time you spend on boost it really does drop. I've just come back from the lakes and over 70 miles with the cruise set at 80 it is indicating 35mpg. Between 65/70 it will do 40mpg all day long.

Another 150 miles today and still loving it. Such a great all rounder. Wafts down the motorway and on some decent roads it really can keep you entertained.

And ELLD90, what do I need to get that number plate set up? Looks great on the Eibachs. I agree with Englebert on the coilovers, most people say it does improve the ride. And I'm sure the JCW will be lower from the factory hence mine looking higher. That said it doesn't look as high in person, but it would 100% look better abit lower.

Then again I agree with Roy aswell. I'll see how things pan out in the next couple of months. I do want some blue sidelights though to match the Xenons. Need to find the sizes.

260% JCW
Looking good mate, hope you're enjoying Mini ownership?

We've had two R56's and although they both had the timing chain and water pump replaced under warranty neither had any of the issues posted above. Neither drunk any oil either and both were light years ahead of the Clio in terms of build quality. Funny how the engine is the only dodgy point and it's a joint BMW/French affair?..

The standard S suspension is a bit soft and wayward IMO, some eibach springs and a pair of fatter ARB's would sort that out and also reduce the 4x4 like stance. The thing a lot of people seem to do on the Mini scene is buy some budget coil overs and slam the car, if you mention uprated springs on OEM or Koni shocks be prepared to get shot down. Another top mod is to ditch the standard runcraps as these ruin the ride, and are far to harsh. The standard MCs and JCW share the same suspension so they're the same height, there is a factory sports suspension option which lowers the car by 10mm and includes matched shocks, springs and fatter ARB's.

As for tuning our previous 07 MCS made 194bhp on the rollers with only an itg panel filter in, after a larger FMIC, re-map and de-cat it made 247bhp and would return 35mpg on a steady motorway run. Total cost of those mods was about £900. Even with this power it had none of the torque steer issues people seem to go on about, maybe it's down to tyre choice?

Consumable parts for the MCS aren't to expensive, the JCW on the other hand is crazy. £100+ for OEM pads and £122 per disc.

Enjoy mate!

photo21-1.gif

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Kev, I'm loving it at the moment!

I think I'm swaying towards the Eibachs tbh, best of both worlds. As for the runflats I got two as new bridgestones with the car, so I've put them on the back and there is plenty left on the front. With my mileage I doubt I'll wear them out either. If I do then I'll be going non RF. Although the peace of mind of not having to worry about getting a puncture is quite nice.

Last edited:

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Getting a puncture in a run flat so as much of a pain in the arse as getting a normal one!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
In terms of being able to keep driving for the limited distance and not having to pull over. The cost doesn't really bother me as I get tyres free through work.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Apart from maybe a JCW back box for looks, I won't be touching the exhaust. It would totally ruin the car for me. Been there and done it with the Clio. Good when giving it the beans. Utter annoying the rest of the time. They sound much better standard than a 182 for instance. I'm not the biggest fan of the sound a boosted 4pot makes when fitted with an exhaust either tbh. I'm wuite content with how it is. I've had a couple of pops already on the over run.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
TBH, they sound good standard and on the 'sport' setting. I'll have to get you to a meet!

I'll be at the next one 1000000%. Gutted I didn't come on Sunday I really wanted to see what power it is making, but got carried away Saturday night.

The last video posted is my car when the previous owner had it. I think mine sounds better now tbh.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
'they' are concerned with improving the ride, making it look better and also handle better... Simple premis IMO and one you would understand if you had tried the turbo mini - it needs proper suspension and tyres... Miss my old mini...

Lowering a car is very very unlikely to improve the ride!
Make it look better - almost always.
Just lowering a car does not in anyway ensure a handling improvement. Everyone seems to think that sticking some eibachs on miraculously makes the car handle better. It is most probably worse, especially near the limit.

Dont be stupid the car looks great as it is. You don't need to lower it and ruin it.

Lowering a car is very very unlikely to improve the ride!
Make it look better - almost always.
Just lowering a car does not in anyway ensure a handling improvement. Everyone seems to think that sticking some eibachs on miraculously makes the car handle better. It is most probably worse, especially near the limit.

Sticking eibachs on a car ruins the ride ime - I was talking about putting a nice set of adjustable coils on there: most definately does improve the ride and handling and can be tweaked when other suspension mods are added such as control arms/camber plates etc

Worth noting that when you lower the car you more often than not increase negative camber and that will have an impact on tyre contact with the road and hence handling so although perhaps only small changes, lowering will have an impact on handling ;)

Note that I'm not saying to slam it but to lower it :)

Last edited:

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Sticking eibachs on a car ruins the ride ime - I was talking about putting a nice set of adjustable coils on there: most definately does improve the ride and handling and can be tweaked when other suspension mods are added such as control arms/camber plates etc

Worth noting that when you lower the car you more often than not increase negative camber and that will have an impact on tyre contact with the road and hence handling so although perhaps only small changes, lowering will have an impact on handling ;)

Note that I'm not saying to slam it but to lower it :)

I am surprised even if a really good set of coilover suspension would give better ride than standard, but no doubt it has the potential to be better than a simple set of lowering springs as long as u are not to aggressive with the set up. With the mini's, as you have said, it is about ditching the run flats. That one mod ( if you can call it that ) is the single best modification you can make to a mini.

I don't think the camber gain on a mini or a clio with McPherson strut front suspension would be significant enough to make a noticeable difference unless there was a very big ride height drop, and both varying rear set ups would have even less effect on camper so I don't see that as an issue. I u dear stand the point you are making however and in general and on some cars Thais can be far more significant.

Personally my concern lies with the idea that most people don't understand the effect these changes have on roll centres and centres of mass and there interactions. With small ride night drops its probably insignificant enough not to matter to most drivers. But if the change is significant or the car particularly sensitive to changes than you can ruin a car, especially close to the limit. Then to add to this some people will drop the front or rear more to improve the stance of the vehicle. Which looks great but god knows what it has done to he cars handling ( buggered it up most likely ). If you go for a nice set of coilovers you have to have the car correctly set up by someone who knows what they are doing and has the facilities to corner weigh the vehicle and accurately measure ride heights, otherwise it is very unlikely you will see a true benefit from some very expensive and capable suspension.

sorry we have hijacked this thread a little! I apologies and hope you are enjoying the mini still........ Don't lower it..... Too much!!!!!

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
RE: OP

Great first post write up.

First off, the clio interior is s**t and everyone knows it. Mini well and truly owns it in that respect.

I'm glad to hear your opinion on the mini because if my commute increased from 2miles its the kind of car I'd want.
It also firmly confirms my faith in the the Trophy, the flaws you've pointed out in terms of having to work the engine; I have covered with the RS2.

Still, sad to see your Clio go, it really looked like a good'un. Still on the forum?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Personally my concern lies with the idea that most people don't understand the effect these changes have on roll centres and centres of mass and there interactions.
YES!
The endless ''Lowered my clio but the back is still too high'' threads. Nosedive FTW!

sorry we have hijacked this thread a little! I apologies and hope you are enjoying the mini still........ Don't lower it..... Too much!!!!!

Good post - I was speaking from my experience with a mini and putting kw v2s on - made a world of difference and was most definately better than stock but as you say it was slammed but set up for handling.. As above though and apologies for the OT.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
RE: OP

Great first post write up.

First off, the clio interior is s**t and everyone knows it. Mini well and truly owns it in that respect.

I'm glad to hear your opinion on the mini because if my commute increased from 2miles its the kind of car I'd want.
It also firmly confirms my faith in the the Trophy, the flaws you've pointed out in terms of having to work the engine; I have covered with the RS2.

Still, sad to see your Clio go, it really looked like a good'un. Still on the forum?

Yeah I'll still be on the forum mate.

In all honesty it's just a more grown up more civilised rival to an RS Clio.

And the performance is just based on standard for standard. If I spent the equivalant of what an RS2 would cost, on and intake, map downpipe etc then it would destroy most Clios. But it never really urges you to drive hard like the Clio does, so I'm not sure it would be abit of a waste having all that power. Just my thoughts and opinions anyway.

Mini Cooper S
It's a 3/4 plate off Fancy Plates mate. Also my ride on Eibach's isn't any worse than 18" runflats... Any questions you've got, fire away! Had mine for a good 18 months now and still puts a smile on my face every day.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Do you still have the plate base (whatever it is called) or have you took that off? I've not really looked properly yet as to what is involved but your front end looks a million times better/cleaner than mine.

Mini Cooper S
I got my bodykit brand new from MINI so no holes etc... just stuck the plate straight on. You'll probably have to stick to a full sized plate due to the screw holes, but can still remove the plate holder.

I did this on my standard kit:

e26974bf.jpg

Get some aero wipers too, think genuine MINI ones are £20.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I'll struggle to get the 3/4 then if there is holes. Need to have a looks. Either that or I'll measure it to be as small as I possibly can to cover the holes.

RB 182 195bhp
An interesting read, although I'm not a mini fan the pictures of it on gold wheels do look very nice. I have a friend who is obsessed with all things Mini and I think its his constant 'A standard Cooper S would paste your 172 in any circumstance' rants that have put a dampener on them for me. I think the Clio and Mini are two very different cars, the Mini is more grown up, good for commuting etc, but I only use my car for fun driving so I think the Clio beats it for my needs. From experience they seem slightly slower than the Clio, but as with all turbo cars are much easier too tune. Would that sound similar too your experience?

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
An interesting read, although I'm not a mini fan the pictures of it on gold wheels do look very nice. I have a friend who is obsessed with all things Mini and I think its his constant 'A standard Cooper S would paste your 172 in any circumstance' rants that have put a dampener on them for me. I think the Clio and Mini are two very different cars, the Mini is more grown up, good for commuting etc, but I only use my car for fun driving so I think the Clio beats it for my needs. From experience they seem slightly slower than the Clio, but as with all turbo cars are much easier too tune. Would that sound similar too your experience?

Yeah I would agree mate. Standard vs standard the Clio will be quicker. Although the Mini feels as quick due to the turbo.

260% JCW
When picking up our previous Cooper S we had a little play on the way home on the dual carriage way, there was nothing in it. Bare in mind the 06-08 plate MCS had 170ish BHP where as the newer 08+ have 190ish OEM.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
When picking up our previous Cooper S we had a little play on the way home on the dual carriage way, there was nothing in it. Bare in mind the 06-08 plate MCS had 170ish BHP where as the newer 08+ have 190ish OEM.

Yeah I wouldn't expect too much in it. For the amount of times I actually use it to anywhere near its potential, it is rather irrelevant anyway.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I'm about to order some different plates. Now as Ell said, my car has holes in the bumpers for where the plate holder currently is. Before I order them I want to make sure that if I remove the plate holder and use a smaller plate attached with Velcro buttons, I won't encounter any problems with the screw holes. Such as water getting to them and causing rust etc? Cheers

LOL, Rusty plastic.

Is the backing where you are putting the velcro textured or painted plastic? They don't stick to textured plastic very well.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
LOL, Rusty plastic.

Is the backing where you are putting the velcro textured or painted plastic? They don't stick to textured plastic very well.

Painted mate. Seems to have stuck well anyway.

Didn't think I'd have time to sort the plates out today, but managed to get away from work sharpish. Much improves the front end IMO. I hated the over hang on the old plate. Another layer of wax on as well while I was out there getting frostbite.

8128034084_5c45f1a7a4_z.jpg

R56 017 by Arctic_182, on Flickr

8128010455_448a59d40b_z.jpg

R56 018 by Arctic_182, on Flickr

No idea what I've done to this picture, but thought the outcome looked quite cool.

R56 019 by Arctic_182, on Flickr

Got some LED sidelights to go in but couldn't be ars*d getting the jack out and changing them. And a new tax disk holder as the current one is retardedly large.