ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RDH's R56 Cooper S

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
Looks good. Makes me miss mine. You don't have to jack the car up to change the side lights. Just turn the wheel on full lock. Do one wheel. The turn the other way and do the other.
Although jacking it up would give you a bit more space. But not essential :)

260% JCW
Got some LED sidelights to go in but couldn't be ars*d getting the jack out and changing them. And a new tax disk holder as the current one is retardedly large.

No need for the jack, just turn the steering wheel to full lock and do one side at a time.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I did wonder that tbh, thanks for letting me know!

Going in for new droplinks this week as I'm getting a clunking over bumps which is getting progressively worse.

Mini Cooper S
Glad to see you got a 3/4 plate. I just cut my tax disc holder in half, makes it look cleaner and nice n easy.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Had my windscreen repaired today so that's one less thing off my mind. Got my sidelights fitted which turned out to be quite awkward as the holders were just completely welded. Again, just something to tidy up the front end as the yellow looked sh*te against the Xenons.

R56 020 by Arctic_182, on Flickr

Much better..

8150963965_2880102f17_z.jpg

R56 021 by Arctic_182, on Flickr

Also gave it what will probably be the final clean of this year as it is just far too cold to be cleaning cars. Such a rewarding colour to clean up, and gets a fair bit of attention when it is clean. Attention in a good way though, not like the 182 where every c*nt and his dog just wants to race.

8150967043_b516f26b34_z.jpg

R56 025 by Arctic_182, on Flickr

Decided to get some Eibach springs to reduce the arch gap, but I've got a knocking from the front passenger side now. Changed the droplink and the ARB bushes but it hasn't cured it. Depending on what it gets diagnosed as and factoring in the potential cost I may go for coilovers.

2000 X PH1 172
Had my windscreen repaired today so that's one less thing off my mind. Got my sidelights fitted which turned out to be quite awkward as the holders were just completely welded. Again, just something to tidy up the front end as the yellow looked sh*te against the Xenons.

8150960409_aa3aaf08f0_z.jpg

R56 020 by Arctic_182, on Flickr

Much better..

8150963965_2880102f17_z.jpg

R56 021 by Arctic_182, on Flickr

Also gave it what will probably be the final clean of this year as it is just far too cold to be cleaning cars. Such a rewarding colour to clean up, and gets a fair bit of attention when it is clean. Attention in a good way though, not like the 182 where every c*nt and his dog just wants to race.

8150967043_b516f26b34_z.jpg

R56 025 by Arctic_182, on Flickr

Decided to get some Eibach springs to reduce the arch gap, but I've got a knocking from the front passenger side now. Changed the droplink and the ARB bushes but it hasn't cured it. Depending on what it gets diagnosed as and factoring in the potential cost I may go for coilovers.

I lowered mine on Eibach springs:

IMG_2221.jpg

This is what it looked like before:
IMG_2096.jpg

I don't think the ride is any more harsh than it was standard since the run flats make it a pretty rough ride.
I have no knocking from lowering it. The handling is a lot more planted I would say, the car rolls a lot less and it under steers less, plus the camber on the back is good :)

IMG_2216.jpg

I love R56's and yours looks sweet, sorry for the hijack lol

Looks nice. On the knocking it may be worth checking the strut top bolt is tightened properly as I understand they can cause knocking...

Dot get springs- the ride will be terrible with runflats :(

Light look great though...

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I've literally checked everything mate and it is still knocking. Going back into Mini on Tuesday under warranty so it should be sorted then.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, went in under warranty on Tuesday and was diagnosed as a gearbox mount which will be fixed by them on the 8th (fast service ftw).

Wouldn't start after work last night, and when I did get it going it was misfiring like a good 'un and kept dying. Managed to get it going and it's been ok since. In all honesty I think it is starting to get coked up again. The previous owner had a de-coke done at around 48,000 miles iirc. Then it could be done under warranty, but they have now taken it out. I think the fact this car has already had it done could stand me in good stead if I try to get another one out them, which I will be doing come the new year.

I need an oil catch can for it too, which again will be after christmas as from now on I probably won't do more than a couple of hundred miles in it.

Vectra
Looks good, I've never really been into Mini's but they are starting to grow on me, why did you choose to sell the Clio for the Mini? Just fancied something different?

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Lol guess so. Hope you sort it mate.

Going off what I've just been shown over on MT, could be high pressure fuel pump. Warranty covered again.

Looks good, I've never really been into Mini's but they are starting to grow on me, why did you choose to sell the Clio for the Mini? Just fancied something different?

I loved the Clio, but after a while the coils/exhaust/build quality started to grate on me. It's a car that I couldn't own standard, and decided rather than strip it I'd let someone else enjoy it move on to something more civilised. Wanted an R32 but decided to get this and put what was left towards a house. Love it so far, quick enough (so far) and a much better all rounded than the Clio. It's worth the money for the stereo alone tbh.

A 182 was an itch I always wanted to scratch, and I loved every minute of it. To this day I'm still gutted I don't own it any more as it was genuinely mint. Makes me so sad looking at it.

7576741628_c41da66440_z.jpg

LY + Arctic 7 by Arctic_182, on Flickr

Although I could be back in one a lot sooner than I anticipated ;)

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah mate. In all honesty it depends on whether we get this house we are in for. It's got a double garage and it would be rude not to fill one half with a V6. I've got a pretty decent bonus from work which came a month too late really. I'll give her the Mini for work and then just use my van in the week.

260% JCW
Yeah, went in under warranty on Tuesday and was diagnosed as a gearbox mount which will be fixed by them on the 8th (fast service ftw).

Wouldn't start after work last night, and when I did get it going it was misfiring like a good 'un and kept dying. Managed to get it going and it's been ok since. In all honesty I think it is starting to get coked up again. The previous owner had a de-coke done at around 48,000 miles iirc. Then it could be done under warranty, but they have now taken it out. I think the fact this car has already had it done could stand me in good stead if I try to get another one out them, which I will be doing come the new year.

I need an oil catch can for it too, which again will be after christmas as from now on I probably won't do more than a couple of hundred miles in it.

The coking issue isn't something you have done on a regular basis bud, depending on how the car is driven some people don't suffer from the issue. Short trips ect makes things worse.

Also an oil catch can will prevent this. It does sound like your HPFP maybe on it's way out again covered by warranty.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
The coking issue isn't something you have done on a regular basis bud, depending on how the car is driven some people don't suffer from the issue. Short trips ect makes things worse.

Also an oil catch can will prevent this. It does sound like your HPFP maybe on it's way out again covered by warranty.

I understand what you mean mate. I'm not sure how it was used by the previous owner. But it feels lively enough, doesn't feel sluggish. I suggested coking before I'd been show the HPFP issue, which makes more sense. Luckily I can use the van for short trips. And whenever I do drive it, it get's a few blasts too.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Mini emergency have been out today as it went crazy again last night. Narrowed it down to either HPFP which he says is unlikely as 3 cylinders are running perfectly while number two is just dead, or a compression issue on cylinder 2.

Being towed in tomorrow for investigations.

Never.Buy.A.Mini.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Nowt wrong with ours, sounds like you've bought a lemon.

Hope it gets sorted.

The never buy a Mini part was sort of tongue in cheek.

If I'd have bought it off anybody else I'd agree with you, but from the way the previous owner dealt with me, the history etc etc, I've probably just got unlucky. I'd be fuming if I had no warranty. I've got documentation of previous issues the engine has had, which can only be a good thing when I'm tackling this,

It may comeback as HPFP, but the plug was getting plenty of fuel. He even ruled out over fueling causing the failure as he said the engine probably wouldn't turn over, which it is. Added to the other 3 working perfect, he was leaning more towards compression.

Which in my mind screams, 'f*cked'.

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
Its a shame! At least you havent got an early one where Rover Insisted on using the their 5-Speed box's, Which promptly blew up ha!.

260% JCW
I was messing mate, I know of the original owner from various MINI forums and he appeared to take care of it.

I'm not sure if you've looked into the HPFP issue but basically there's a part in the pump which over time can/sometimes develop a hairline crack. This in turn leads to the pump no longer being able to maintain the 5 bar of pressure in the fuel rail. This isn't always the case and can be intermittent more so when the car's cold, all injectors still receive fuel and the car still turns but there is not enough fuel pressure to maintain engine running.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I was messing mate, I know of the original owner from various MINI forums and he appeared to take care of it.

I'm not sure if you've looked into the HPFP issue but basically there's a part in the pump which over time can/sometimes develop a hairline crack. This in turn leads to the pump no longer being able to maintain the 5 bar of pressure in the fuel rail. This isn't always the case and can be intermittent more so when the car's cold, all injectors still receive fuel and the car still turns but there is not enough fuel pressure to maintain engine running.

In all fairness it was stone cold when he started it. I was just going off what he said, I'm the mechanically inept he could of told me anything and I'd have to take it as truth.

What ever it is will get sorted. I don't use it all that much anyway so it isn't too much of an inconvenience.

Aww man. Bad news. Such a nice looking car too...

Why would cylinder 2 go? Is it common? What did the mini guy recon was causing it?

Must admit I was getting tempted by a mini instead of a Clio but not so sure....

Last edited:

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Cylinder head off to investigate piston problems. Great.

On the plus side they've given me a fully specced up 320d courtesy car. £35,000s worth! Absolutely epic machine.

AG 200 cup
Hope it gets sorted without any problems. At least it's still under warranty and you have a decent loan car.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah they called me today to update and said I'm liable for no charge what so ever etc. And tbh they can keep it, this 320d is absolutely unbelievable.