ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Reaching gear knob

E36 M3,172 cup
Hi
I have just collected my first Clio 172
One thing I do find is that to get a comfortable seating position I have to reach further than I would like to reach the gear knob. It's just low and close to the dash.
Now I looked at a longer knob but with the lift up reverse there isn't any about. Anyone found a solution other than a very expensive pms shifter?
Would this work?

Attachments

• IMG_2508.PNG
    IMG_2508.PNG
    663 KB · Views: 100

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Some use the scenic shifter and bend it so it feels better. I've had this and now the pms.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Something I dislike about the Clio also having been used to my old Honda gearstick on the dash

E36 M3,172 cup
How much is a pms as I have a cae shifter on my m3 and it was great but over 1k which defeats the point of why I bought the Clio being cheap and fun

E36 M3,172 cup
I am also concerned that the Clio box is made of chocolate so don't want to over do it! I have a 172 cup is the box the same as the other 172's?

E36 M3,172 cup
How much would a scenic shifter be?
To be honest under £300 for the pms shifter is pretty good as like I said I had no change from a grand for a cae shifter for my m3 - robbing buttholes lol
Does both feel much better and the plus side of the pms shifter as my cae one is fantastic and actually although I moan about the cost it does work very well

E36 M3,172 cup
£285 isn't that bad! Most momo gear knobs are £90+ now so a full gear box back shifter for £285 is pretty good.
It's on my pretty urgent list as it drives me mad hunching to change gear

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
I've got the scenic modified shifter and really rate it. Miles better than the original one. Tbh though the PMS one is epic I imagine but haven't tried one.

dan's cast offs.
scenic one is a crap as the normal one except you don't have to reach as far as the ashtray do feel how crap it is!!

E46 M3, Clio 182
Another vote here for PMS shifter! Possibly one of the things I've bought for mine and as you said, £300 delivered for a gearbox back replacement shifter, isn't actually that bad!

No experience of the PMS. I wouldnt bother with the scenic shifter.

Search 'burpspeed linkage mod' or 'shifter mod' and you'll find some info on effectively shortening the linkage under the car which brings it nearer to you. Works a treat.

dan's cast offs.
fitted loads of them and only ever got minimal vibrations, you tend to find it will be around certain speed/gear. nothing that resting your hand on the shifter doesn't stop.

E36 M3,172 cup
Sweet
The car is going to be a weekend/ track/ ring car anyway so no expecting comfort and luxury.
I just hope the Clio is as good as it's portrayed
Swapping my 348bhp m3 m3 for it as now engines are like 5k and parts have rocketed in price I want something cheaper to run and less valuable to take to the ring and spa

E36 M3,172 cup
Got the oil already!
I noticed there is quite a bit of oil on top of the gearbox too! Any ideas where this might come from?

Attachments

• IMG_2474.JPG
    IMG_2474.JPG
    378.2 KB · Views: 59

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
In a straight line the m3 would take the clio, just.

In the twisteez the m3 and most other cars would and do lose daily, aparantly, on here anyway.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Got the oil already!
I noticed there is quite a bit of oil on top of the gearbox too! Any ideas where this might come from?

Same as mine. You fill it up until it cant take anymore, so may just have gone everywhere when filling up.

E36 M3,172 cup
I was more thinking fun as the reason the m3 duties are now shared with the Clio is cost.
I'm hoping I can still have a playful chassis with oversteer to enjoy

E36 M3,172 cup
Oh
Has kw v3 coilovers, 911 turbo brakes etc etc
Just I fancied a cup and got offered one so took a punt . I'm sure il get Carried away as looking at turbo setups already

E36 M3,172 cup
It's not standard
Clio

Front
- Pure motorsport top mounts
- Pure motorsport strutbrace
- Eibach camber bolts
- Gas gha coilovers
- Powerflex wishbone bushes
- arb inner bushes powerflex
- Arb outer bushes powerflex
- Powerflex steering bushes

Rear
- whiteline arb
- Gaz gha coilovers
- 10mm shims
- Powerflex rear beam bushes
- Powerflex shock mounts

Drivetrain
- Powerflex dog bone mount

Brakes
- brembo hc discs

Will need better pads like ds2500

182 Turbo
£285 isn't that bad! Most momo gear knobs are £90+ now so a full gear box back shifter for £285 is pretty good.
It's on my pretty urgent list as it drives me mad hunching to change gear
Alot of things in the clio aftermarket are pretty good in price comparison to other car manufacturers aftermarkets, for instance Spoon wanted £3,200 for a titanium catback exhaust for my s2k which would probably yield 5bhp +/- and some weight savings, i turbo'd my clio for far less than that, with change!

Last edited:
  182 Turbo
In a straight line the m3 would take the clio, just.

In the twisteez the m3 and most other cars would and do lose daily, aparantly, on here anyway.
I wouldnt take that for gospel, e46 m3's get consistantly faster times than clio's around the Nurburgring, and if you've ever seen an m3 at the track you can see they are capable of carrying much higher speeds round corners than Clio's. I would say my low boost clio is on par with an e46 m3 and it would still be a struggle