ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Really impressive F4R rolling road results from SRR

Im not trolling just saying what i think. No need to!!

RR figures are aload of chuff anyway, take it with a pinch of salt.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Great result. Before and after would be good to see. especially if it could be done same day :)
RS2 = itch that will need scratching. aucky ;)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Im not trolling just saying what i think. No need to!!

RR figures are aload of chuff anyway, take it with a pinch of salt.

I'm not going to spend too long debating it with you, but you've come on a thread and questioned the validity of a rolling road (which is widely known for independence and accuracy) and then when questioned on your experience of said rolling road you make some 'trolly' statement without actually answering the questions. I'd say that's trolling, or a poor version of it anyway ;)

Oh, and there is some rich irony in you stating RR figures are a load of chuff when you seem to proudly quote them in your avatar. ;)

I'm not going to spend too long debating it with you, but you've come on a thread and questioned the validity of a rolling road (which is widely known for independence and accuracy) and then when questioned on your experience of said rolling road you make some 'trolly' statement without actually answering the questions. I'd say that's trolling, or a poor version of it anyway ;)

Oh, and there is some rich irony in you stating RR figures are a load of chuff when you seem to proudly quote them in your avatar. ;)

i wouldnt waste too long either.

Once again in true cs style, say or question something it gets folks backs up.

Yehh im proud that my car made 192bhp (over reading rollers)

FFS i only said put it on another set of rollers lol.:(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm not on a downer here (honest) as it's an impressive result, but you talk about this as if it's something that everyone is chasing?

Not that I am aware of, I am not saying that because of the results Mike has got here it proves he is the worlds best tuner for all cars, I am just saying it proves if you have an RS2 car and want it setup to the best it can be, then he is the best place to go.
Could Paul match it if he spent long enough trying? Yes I am sure he could, but if you as the customer want him to dedicate a week or two to doing it on your car its going to cost a fortune, where as Mike has now done the development bit by bit on the dozens of RS2 cars he has done and he's now arrived at what I think is probably getting very close to the optimum possible setup for this spec.

Are Ktec spending hours and hours chasing the ultimate cam timing on a car fitted with an RS2 (that let's face it is fairly rare in itself) - I doubt it. Would it effect their popularity if they did? I doubt it. Are they bothered, do they even care? I doubt it.
Ktec tried to map one and couldnt even get it to match the standard inlet at which point they just gave up and told the customer to remove it.
Its upto you if you think they did that because they are so useless they are incapable of getting it to work, or if they are just so dishonest they would tell a customer that something doesnt work just because its not their product so they would sooner the customer sold it on and spent the money again with them, or if they were just too lazy to really try?
Either way, sod ever taking your car to them IMHO, but thats because Im not a fan of people who are at least one of useless, lazy, dishonest!

The RS2 is a product that only Mike and James sell (correct me if i'm wrong - I may be)
Only James sells them, Mike is James's preferred mapper these days, in the early days it was RS Tuning, but other than the fact that obviously a referral gets Mike a mapping job, there is nothing in it at all for him if James sells one or not.

so threads like these just strike me as one big advert. Add up the cost of it all (RS2 + cam timing + labour + mapping time) and I suspect there are other ways of achieving similar power figures.
I believe the total is under 2000 quid all in, fitted and mapped using all new parts. (might be bit more if you go for uprated engine mounts too which they recomend) and if you do the basic DIY fitment yourself its a couple hundred cheaper than that.
I personally am not aware of any other way of getting these results for that matter money on a like for like basis (ie all new parts and all labour and mapping included).
Obviously if it was my own car I could buy a secondhand set of bodies for 1000 quid with Ecu if I wait and I could buy a set of cams for a few hundred quid, and then I could fit it and map it myself mainly on the road with just a couple of hours roller rental required, and even including new belts etc I would just about get under 2000 quid, but thats not really comparable as for a start its secondhand bits and me doing the labour and mapping, and to finish it means loss of cruise control, loss of speed limiter, loss of aircon etc.
Then it makes it harder (but not impossible) to get through an MOT and the economy will end up slightly worse as well.
And its less easily reversible in that the loom is going to end up chopped about

Thats taking nothing away from the achievement at all, it's just my input on it all.
Discussion is good mate.

So if you were someone who fits the profile of a tpyical RS2 customer which is:
Wants to keep all the toys
Road use so wants good spread of power
Budget of 2K all in including any work like fitting and mapping
Would like to be able to get a good portion of their money back when it comes to sell it on

What would you recommend as an alternative for that sort of customer out of interest Jon as you have been around these cars a long time now?

Personally I genuinely cant think of anything else that really competes, I can think of ways of making more power, but they all involve losing something that you dont lose with the RS2.

Best product ever for a clio? No of course not, but it is a product that gives a reasonable gain with NO downside that I am aware of, and in that respect its up there with a quaiffe diff or set of uprated cams as being in a VERY small set of things I can say that about! And the difference here is that its an easy DIY fit and neither of those items are IMHO.

Last edited:
  172, Tiguan
Oh I agree, it has it's benefits, that's undoubtable. The downsides are the very things you've just mentioned, there is only one guy in the entire country that can get the best out of these for 'reasonable' outlay.

Could Paul match it if he spent long enough trying? Yes I am sure he could, but if you as the customer want him to dedicate a week or two to doing it on your car its going to cost a fortune, where as Mike has now done the development bit by bit on the dozens of RS2 cars he has done and he's now arrived at what I think is probably getting very close to the optimum possible setup for this spec.

Great, and so he should, because it's 'his' product (sort of). It's not up to Paul or anyone to do that. If Paul was flogging it then i'd expect him to have that knowledge. I know that slightly misses your point, but it needed to be said!

What would I do? I could spend £1k on secondhand jenveys with an Omex and then £300 on mapping. I could potentially have similar (or the same) power for £1300. I'd argue that if you could fit an RS2 then you're most of the way to fitting some bodies (more so if you end up with a gen90). Granted you'd lose a few creature comforts, but quite a few places could map a standalone ecu.

Alternatively you've got Andy and his turbo conversions. All new stuff, not a great deal of extra outlay and at least 30bhp more. Given the choice to pay out again I know what I'd choose, but then everyone chooses what suits them best at the end of the day.

The sour note for me here is the massive amount of advertising space these guys get on here when neither pays to trade. Again a personal gripe, but others who do pay for the privilege to sell on here also offer alternative solutions. It's a grey area i hate and I know it winds many up not just me.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Oh I agree, it has it's benefits, that's undoubtable. The downsides are the very things you've just mentioned, there is only one guy in the entire country that can get the best out of these for 'reasonable' outlay.

If I do spend £1k on secondhand jenveys with an Omex and then £300 on mapping I could potentially have similar (or the same) power for £1300. I'd argue that if you could fit an RS2 then you're most of the way to fitting some bodies (more so if you end up with a gen90). Granted you'd lose a few creature comforts, but quite a few places could map a standalone ecu.

Agreed, the moment you fit bodies you are away from needing a clio ECU specific tuner and can go, and can take the car anywhere reputable for a decent map.
Same would be true of the RS2 if on standalone though of course, like the russian guy with 230+bhp from one.

Alternatively you've got Andy and his turbo conversions. All new stuff, not a great deal of extra outlay and at least 30bhp more. Given the choice to pay out again I know what I'd choose, but then everyone chooses what suits them best at the end of the day.
Turbo means marginally less economy, and arguably compared to just a standard engine and RS2 it realistically means increased on going maintenance costs, but the upside is a much much bigger gain in torque and quite a bit more power too, without a doubt in terms of "bang for your buck" performance wise turbos are the way to go.

I'd not say either of those options were quite the same thing though in terms of the loss of creature comforts etc, if its a pure trackday car then both make IMHO more sense than an RS2 to me personally, but if you mainly sit in traffic stop-starting and sat on cruise on the motorway etc, and therefore you just want a bit more power with nothing lost then thats when the RS2 comes into its own.

My opinion is that bodies make a clio into a great trackday car, but an RS2 makes it the car it SHOULD have been from renault in the first place.
Turbos are epic, but it does tend to end up more expensive in the long run, not least cause the power gains are addictive, where as the RS2 is generally used as a "fit and forget" mod where it makes your engine a bit better and then you leave it at that and dont do further mods, if you want to "develop" the car over time, then a turbo makes more sense for that I think, or even bodies although ultimately they are quite limited in power output for a daily car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sorry hadnt seen this edit

The sour note for me here is the massive amount of advertising space these guys get on here when neither pays to trade. Again a personal gripe, but others who do pay for the privilege to sell on here also offer alternative solutions. It's a grey area i hate and I know it winds many up not just me.

I believe that the reason Mike doesnt advertise is that the trade section was closed off to new users, and he figures if he isnt allowed to advertise to new users there isnt a lot of point as most existing users already know him, Im sure that is what he said when I asked him about it when I first noticed he wasnt a trader.

But I suspect thats an entirely different topic, lol, and if you have done the maths and worked out that you make more money by forcing people to pay to be a user before they can see the traders section than you make from losing a trader or two who wants to be able to advertise to all not to paid members then obviously thats what is best for your own business plan :)

172, Tiguan
lol @ business plan.

You pay to join the club. That's generally how clubs work - and survive.

I guess he doesn't need to become a trader when people advertise his stuff for him all the time though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
lol @ business plan.

CS has always seemed to me like its a club run in a very professional and business like manner so it seems the most appropriate term.
Maximising revenue means more money to put on events etc, so is in the clubs interest.
So I assume its because of that which you have stopped unpaid members from seeing the trade section?

When the trade sections were open it was good value advertising I reckon as this site does so well in google etc that as a trader I'd want to know that my section could be seen by everyone, even not logged in users.

You pay to join the club. That's generally how clubs work - and survive.
Certainly the bigger ones all do need that income IME yes :)

I guess he doesn't need to become a trader when people advertise his stuff for him all the time though.

I just thought it was really interesting to see what the standard car is capable of with such minor mods so I thought others might do as well, that was my reason for psoting, I didnt intend it to come across as an advert, and Im sure Mike would be unhappy if he thought I felt he needed charity in the form of free adverts in the first place TBH, so if it has come across that way then apologies to both you and him.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
what is a Rs2 inlet then? iv read about this a lot on here.

One of these mate:
0A246763-2935-479A-AE8A-990EB7F0D2A3-139-0000000C3761615C_zpse94fe8e7.jpg

Its a better flowing direct replacement for the standard inlet made from carbon figure, using the original loom and ecu and throttle body etc.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Must be an old pic, when you had some ;)
underdog - search for a thread called 'Show us your engine bay' or similar, then look through that - there's plenty of RS2 images to be seen there.

RS2'd Cup Trackcar
Be interesting to see if there would be anything to gain with my extra length RS2 using MWM's timing tweak.......Still undecided whether to keep, sell or break...

Rs2'd clio 182
I've got a rs2 182 fitted it myself and had it mapped by Paul at rs tuning and only got 186 hp :(Am wanting some more hp and was thinking of fitting 197 cams but since decided not to. So who dose this retiming and is it available to buy

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I've got a rs2 182 fitted it myself and had it mapped by Paul at rs tuning and only got 186 hp :(Am wanting some more hp and was thinking of fitting 197 cams but since decided not to. So who dose this retiming and is it available to buy

These engines do vary a lot, on your car that might be getting close to the maximum it will do, from what Ive seen the retiming only gives a few bhp increase and perhaps half a dozen lbft, its really not a huge gain. So if you have already paid for mapping its probably not worth it now.

Ive just been mapping one today with Dan from SJM, 182 with Rs2 with 438 cams, and I can see from the (lack of) injector duration that it requires to get to the correct AFRs that its only going to be a 180s car despite having the cams as well as the RS2, Ive seen more fuel needed on standard cams with the RS2 on other engines. So this one is just not a very good engine, was only low 160s as standard I bet, they vary more than any other engine I am familiar with, when I first started getting into these cars I was gobsmacked to see how much the F4R can vary from one car to another even when the cam timing is definately the same on both and they are both mapped to same standard etc.

Also dont get too obsessed on the peak figures, the 197 cams will normally add best part of 10bhp at the top of the rev range based on the few Ive mapped with 172/197 cams before and after, but they take away about half a dozen lbft for almost the entire rev range until just under 7Krpm where it levels off and then over that the 197 are better, so literally the only place they are faster is over 7K, so unless you take it to about 7800 every gear change, you wont be any quicker with the 197 as you will have lost for as much of the rev range you are using as you have gained for as the revs drop a couple of K when you change gear anyway.

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

As Chip said above these engines vary so much and mileage is really not a good indicator of condition either (I've seen ring seal issues on sub 60k cars yet my 164k unit is still going strong). If you're really serious about spending money on that engine to extract more power I'd suggest you start by first having the basic mechanical condition assessed (Compression, Valve seal, timing, etc) as you may just be flogging a dead horse and end up £2k lighter and another 10hp up!