ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear beam bushes

Hello . Do the original bushes on the rear beam need pressing out. I've had the beam Powdercoaters but covered the bushes so are ok but wondered if worth changing for powerflex ones.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
If your beam's already out then it would be a good time to upgrade, the new ones will need pressing in but the old ones will come out fine, but the metal shells they sit in will need knocking out with a hammer and screwdriver, or you can cut through them and mangle them out.

I just polybushed mine because my old ones were knackered so I learnt first hand what a pain in the arse job it is.

Ok thanks. I'm only thinking they are a few years old in their now although not done many miles I only took it off so I could get it all powdercoated so it looks fresh. Do the powerflex ones need pressing in or is it just std ones that do. It's only a road car so not really doing it for performance reasons

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah they need pressing in, metal sleeves first, then the bushes themselves, we used these to press mine in.
HG0012101_2.jpg

If I was you i'd upgrade to polybushes, i've got the harder black series in mine but the ride's still the same, I just wanted bushes I never needed to replace again.

Thanks I'll order some up tomorow I think. Hopefully I won't damage the nice shiney beam. Don't think I'll fit my arb back on as I'm sure that will chip the powder off now.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't really word that post too well, you press the bushes and sleeves in together, they will go in 90% of the way by hand, but then they need a press to go the 10% that matters.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Are the rear beam bushes easy to tell when they are on their way out?

I have a slight clatter noise from the rear - definitely audible over the likes of a cobbled surface. The thought of it being these did cross my mind.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
My assumption is that it will be hard to see as they are thick and encased in a sleeve. Try and see if the tyre wear on the back wheels is even too.

@DaveDreads - whats the name of that kit as I want to get one. @JP83 and me kind of made a similar tool when we did his rear beam bushes but would like to have a proper tool.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm currently running the powerflex bushes on rear axle, they've not lasted too long at all and have a bit of play in them now.
Will be swapping back to standard ones soon. As tony said the standard ones are fine... and IMO, better.

Well for what it's worth I had the power flex ones fitted and they are absolutely fine one year later, there's no guarantees in changing to either OEM or power flex. Without modifying one bit of your car at a time then driving the exact same track/road it's very hard to notice differences in bushes. All the power flex I put in at the front made it a lot stiffer but is there any need to have stiffer rear bushes in the Clio for a few track days and hard road use, I don't know yet.