ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear wheel bearings

RB 182 cup,astra sri
Quick one,

do the rear wheel bearings taper at all? the shaft looks like it does. i got new bearings, which the guy swears they are the right ones, but they have a bit of play when they are on. it looks like the ones im replacing taper

any info on this would help as i need to know whether to get the bearings elsewhere and get my money back from this guy

cheers

craig

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just buy the discs with them already pressed in, look at all the *****ing about it's caused lol.

RB 182 cup,astra sri
Just buy the discs with them already pressed in, look at all the *****ing about it's caused lol.

saved myself a fair bit by not doing so. its just a pain in the ass that the guy at the motor factors has given me the wrong bearings and i have already ahd them pressed in. its no bother if i get the right bearings. hopefully get it sorted tomorrow.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
^^ for me i'd have no idea who to go to make the two unite as one.

Bumder With A Buffer
I did mine myself...pressed in using a drift and a hammer ;)

I have have a press at work so did them here. It was piss easy...apart from the fact that they supply 2 circlips with the bearing so i stuidly thought "ooo one goes at the bottom to hold the bearing in" ...lo and behold when i went to press it in i realised in-fact it did not go on the bottom just the top. That was a reet git.

Anyway Im glad i saved myself almost £100

RB 182 cup,astra sri
just to clarify then, it doesnt matter what way the bearings go into the disc as they are not tapered in anyway?

its p*ssing me off that they dont fit snug onto the shaft. they really must be the wrong ones. it does say saxo 1.0 on the bearings box but the guy in the motor factor shop showed me the book that says they are the right part number for it.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
they should look like this
DSCF1012.gif

ex Clio 172 owner :(
Where can you buy bearings?

I might get them and normal discs and have them pressed in. Save a bit of cash.

How do you get the ABS ring on?

Cheers.

Volvo S60 T5
Bearings are about £15 a side from any motor factor.
ABS ring you need to be careful with but they come off OK and gently tap them on to a new disc best to put a bit of threadlock on the inner edge of the abs ring. I find that they seem to be very loose on non-genuine discs.

Clio 182 cup
Waiting on new discs and pads coming in the post for my 182.
Sounds like the back discs wont be much fun..........do i go get the bearings now?
if they need to be pressed in, I take it they go in the bin with the old discs?

RB 182 cup,astra sri
finally got it sorted. yeah the bearings i had originally got did not have the rubber seal on them which made all the difference!! what a hassle though. it was all the fault of the guy that supplied me with the bearings though. although they were correct in his book, the parts never had the rubber seal.

another thing to note is to make suer the piston has plenty of copper slick on it otherwise the they will seize up eventually

Clio 182 cup
Almost got my rear wheel bearings today. glad that the guy in the store also knew that the clio bearings should have a rubber seal at one side, so after inspection of his of stock he's sourcing some others for me.

Is there anything special about the 182 rear bearings or are they the same as for example a 1.6?