ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommendations for dry fast road tyres?

Clio 182 RS
I have a 182 ff and I was wondering what you lot think is a good tyre?

i'm looking at 195/45/r16

I have seen that the avon zv7 is quite liked but is it grippy in the dry? my thinking is that because it lasts a long time the rubber is harder which sacrifices grip?

I know the pilotsport 3 are an option but they dont make them and wont the old tyres be hard now?

Any advice is much appreciated!

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
PS3 are still made, it's an old design, but they are still manufactured. I run PS3 on mine and very happy, but more of an all year round daily tyre IMO. If you're only using on dry warm days I'd consider semi slicks.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you only use it only on dry sunny days, you can’t really go wrong with Nankang NS2R’s.

Not much cop on track as they do get hot quickly, but you’ll never get that hot on the road.

Clio 182 RS
PS3 are still made, it's an old design, but they are still manufactured. I run PS3 on mine and very happy, but more of an all year round daily tyre IMO. If you're only using on dry warm days I'd consider semi slicks.
I will be using them on dry days to be honest, cold or hot so maybe the ps3 are the way to go, is it worth the massive price hike over others like the avon zv7 etc?

Clio 182 RS
If you only use it only on dry sunny days, you can’t really go wrong with Nankang NS2R’s.

Not much cop on track as they do get hot quickly, but you’ll never get that hot on the road.
I did look at these but I do wonder if they will wear very quickly as a drive a lot

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve had Avon ZV7 on my 182 and they’re ok but not an all rounder like the PS3. I often hear the term old design in relation to the Michelin but these are also old cars and very sensitive to changes. Tyre choice makes a massive difference on these cars. You can get away with sticking anything on modern cars, but not these.

This is what I’ve ran over 6 years of 182 ownership:

Yokohama AD08R - little grip on cold wet roads but a great summer tyre. Horrible in snow. Makes the car tramline like hell though.

Avon ZV7 - ok grip in the wet, very good as a summer tyre. Manageable in snow. Tend to be a bit noisy. Good value. People buy them because they don’t want to pay Michelin tax. Go 205 if you’re going down this route.

Michelin PS3 - Best all rounder for these cars. Good grip on cold wet roads and also throughout summer. Great in snow. Not a bad wet trackday tyre either. 195/45/16 is the best choice in my opinion. Expensive.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I will be using them on dry days to be honest, cold or hot so maybe the ps3 are the way to go, is it worth the massive price hike over others like the avon zv7 etc?
Others have covered well, but I've never been 100% happy with any tyre I've used that wasn't a Michelin to be honest. This for all year round tyres though, different ball game when you're only driving on dry summer days or track days.
There's a reason they demand a premium and people buy them, but I've not tried enough tyres on these cars to say for certain they're the best, but it seems that way. Although I wish I could've driven one with the specially made Michelin Exalto PE2 tyres before they were discontinued, but the PS3 is what replaced them, which is good enough for me.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Yokohama ad08r is what I use, loads more grip than the ps3 for the summer, they are also very good in the wet which helps, downside is they harden the ride a little

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup

Absolutely not, I've ran both tyres for a couple of years each on my 172 Cup, on road and track through all seasons & can confidently say there's sod all difference between them imo.
The only instances I'd choose the PS3's is if they're cheaper than the Avons which is certainly the case in 195 50 15 that I run on my other Clio's but you can't go far wrong with either tyre tbh

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I run AD08RS on my van and they are absolutely fantastic in the dry, blow the Michelin out the water with some heat in them. It's a summer only car so ideal for it's usage.

Everything else I run PS3 and it's a great all rounder

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
What about Accelera tyres?

My mates bought some of those for their Megane 250 and did Croft in September. I was there and they were flying. They rated them highly.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Ive got a set on my clio,but the 200 compound.I reckon be fine just for road use,maybe not wet tho.
20230903_124940.jpg
20230812_170708.jpg

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The daily came on Avon ZV7s and I’ve actually been pretty impressed with them, I’ve replaced them with another set. Obviously that’s not track use but for everyday they’re ample. Pilot Sport 4/5 is superior but they’re not available in clio fitments so somewhat irrelevant.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I always used Yokohama AD08 & AD08R when given the option. Last set was the newer AD08RS. The newer RS are supposed to be slower on track but are great on the road.

Though a few years ago Kwikfit would do a full set fitted for £200

All the other tyres I've used on a Clio have felt too soft on the side walls, making it feel a little unstable and unpredictable when pushing harder than I should have been on the road. Though admittedly never to the point it felt unsafe. I've just always prefer the feel of a stiffer tyre.

I've tried using PS3 a few times, mostly due to buying wheels with them already on and I've always felt they were disappointing. I certainly wouldn't pay the extra over Avon ZV7 (also used) or similar.

Typically I always fit the latest pilot sport or goodyear F1 on others cars, but as mentioned above they're not available in 15 or 16 inch

I've also never had issues with the AD08R's in the winter when I used to daily a 182. They do need good tread depth though.

Clio 182 RS
uhhhhh I am so torn between the ps3 and the avon azv7, as @Darryl_1983 mentioned are the ps3 worth the extra 25 ish pounds over the zv7's??

like how much cornering grip am i going to lose using the zv7 instead of the ps3?

Clio 182 RS
Absolutely not, I've ran both tyres for a couple of years each on my 172 Cup, on road and track through all seasons & can confidently say there's sod all difference between them imo.
The only instances I'd choose the PS3's is if they're cheaper than the Avons which is certainly the case in 195 50 15 that I run on my other Clio's but you can't go far wrong with either tyre tbh
Actually I have just seen this, Maybe I will use the zv7 and then when I Start my new job it will be time where I am not too fussed about the price hike hahaha

Clio 182 RS
Actually I have another question. How come I have 195 tyres on a 182 as I thought these come in standard of 205 width? are the allows different or has the previous owner downgraded the width of the tyre? Can I fit 205 on a 195 rim? or is the rim meant for 205?

sorry I am quite new to this stuff I am trying to learn as much as I can

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
182s came with 205 tyres, 172s came with 195s, as above you can use either. Personally I run 205s, I figure wider is better as I'm not massively low and more kerb protection for my alloys, but many will say they drive better on 195s (less tramlining).

Clio 182 RS
182s came with 205 tyres, 172s came with 195s, as above you can use either. Personally I run 205s, I figure wider is better as I'm not massively low and more kerb protection for my alloys, but many will say they drive better on 195s (less tramlining).
Could this explain why my speedometer is slow? would a 205/50/r16 be better for grip?

the 50 is a bit cheaper and I figure it is better for ride comfort a bit

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Actually I have another question. How come I have 195 tyres on a 182 as I thought these come in standard of 205 width? are the allows different or has the previous owner downgraded the width of the tyre? Can I fit 205 on a 195 rim? or is the rim meant for 205?

sorry I am quite new to this stuff I am trying to learn as much as I can

Probably the previous owners personal preference or likely to be price variation between the sizes.
Last time I was shopping for tyres for my 172 Cup there was quite a bit of variation in prices between the profile sizes, I vaguely remember that there was 1 size of PS3 that was cheaper than the ZV7 but it wasn't the exact size I wanted because I was being a bit of an OE nonce.
It's worth shopping around and looking at the different profile sizes as well unless you're dead set on a specific size

Clio 182 RS
Probably the previous owners personal preference or likely to be price variation between the sizes.
Last time I was shopping for tyres for my 172 Cup there was quite a bit of variation in prices between the profile sizes, I vaguely remember that there was 1 size of PS3 that was cheaper than the ZV7 but it wasn't the exact size I wanted because I was being a bit of an OE nonce.
It's worth shopping around and looking at the different profile sizes as well unless you're dead set on a specific size
I decided on the zv7 on a 205/45/r16 as i dont think a 50 profile is that good because of sidewall and potential rubbing

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Others have covered well, but I've never been 100% happy with any tyre I've used that wasn't a Michelin to be honest. This for all year round tyres though, different ball game when you're only driving on dry summer days or track days.
There's a reason they demand a premium and people buy them, but I've not tried enough tyres on these cars to say for certain they're the best, but it seems that way. Although I wish I could've driven one with the specially made Michelin Exalto PE2 tyres before they were discontinued, but the PS3 is what replaced them, which is good enough for me.
The Michelin Exalto PE2s were a brilliant tyre imo. I'd still run them now if they were still available in the right size for my 182.
After they were discontinued I ran Rainsport 2s for a while then Rainsport 3s, which were both brilliant in the wet but didn't last long. I'd average about 5k miles before they were dead.
I've been running Avon 7v7s for the past few years, and for the price I think they're a very good tyre in the dry and wet with the added bonus that I can easily get 10k miles out of a set.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Could this explain why my speedometer is slow? would a 205/50/r16 be better for grip?

the 50 is a bit cheaper and I figure it is better for ride comfort a bit
You’re on 205/50 at the moment? Only the 2nd number will affect the speedo as that’s the sidewall size, first number is just width so won’t affect speedo AFAIK.
205/45 is the size they came with, if you’re not lowered 205/50 would probably work.
Go 205/55/16 and you could get pilot sport 4 tyres. Thats about an inch and a half extra diameter though vs 205/45.

Clio 182 RS
You’re on 205/50 at the moment? Only the 2nd number will affect the speedo as that’s the sidewall size, first number is just width so won’t affect speedo AFAIK.
205/45 is the size they came with, if you’re not lowered 205/50 would probably work.
Go 205/55/16 and you could get pilot sport 4 tyres. Thats about an inch and a half extra diameter though vs 205/45.
Im on 195/45/16

I am quite lowered so i suspect the 205/45/16 is the way to go. Maybe even improve ride comfort a tad

Clio 172 2003
The conti PremiumContact 6 seems to be the newest, best road focused tyre available in 205/45 R16. It costs as much as the PS3 on BlackCircles and Tyre Reviews rate it as the sportiest feeling between the PS4, Goodyear F1 AS5 and itself. Link to the review
I'd go with them.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
What about Accelera tyres?

I've had these on my 200 since spetember and they were very good in the dry. In the cold and wet your going to crash if you drive like a t**t anyway so they are usable in those conditions. I've got the 200tw ones and the fronts are about half worn after maybe 3k miles. They are very cheap though so well worth the money I'd say.

Hillclimb182

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Cup, SAABs
Only the 2nd number will affect the speedo as that’s the sidewall size, first number is just width so won’t affect speedo AFAIK
Not actually true: the second number is the height given as a percentage of the width (aspect ratio). The wider the tyre the deeper the sidewall for a given aspect ratio, so the rolling radius and speedo reading will be affected.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I like the Toyo R888r. They stick like s**t to a blanket in the dry, absolutely cracking.

They are slightly less grippy in the wet but usable provided you avoid lakes of standing water.

Clio 172 2003
I've been running Avons for a few years now and can't fault them when pushing on in the dry or wet.
They're good, it's just that there is better still. Tyre technology evolves. Zv7 were always a very good mid-range UHP tyres but there were also more high-end options and they have been around since 2017.

To be fair to you i can barely tell the difference between tyres on the road unless they're atrocious or when I replace a worn set for a brand new one. So maybe i am over-analysing this, but I like to get into this stuff whenever I'm looking tk buy.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
They're good, it's just that there is better still. Tyre technology evolves. Zv7 were always a very good mid-range UHP tyres but there were also more high-end options and they have been around since 2017.

To be fair to you i can barely tell the difference between tyres on the road unless they're atrocious or when I replace a worn set for a brand new one. So maybe i am over-analysing this, but I like to get into this stuff whenever I'm looking tk buy.
You're probably right. There are better. And they are a slightly older tyre now. But for the price and how they perform on the road I think they're a bargain.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
The natural order of things:

Q : “My 1*2 needs new tyres, what’s the best out there?”

A : Michelin PS3

(checks prices) Any others?

Chorus : “Michelin are ancient. Avon ZV7 is the best tyre in the world”

(checks prices) Sounds great. Cheers guys I’ll buy Avons.

💭 Crikey, these tyres cost nearly as much as my car. Need a rethink.

Ends up buying Linglongs.

Rinse. Repeat.