ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing front suspension top nuts

Trying to change the front springs but cant undo the top nuts.
Soaked them in plusgas and wd40 trying to use a 21mm swan neck ring spanner and a 6mm allen key but they just wont budge!!

Audi A5
If the Allen key hasn't slipped yet give it some more welly, they should come loose.

Also clean the threads up abit with a wire brush if their covered in s**t, then spray some more wd40 on them.

Audi A5
Sounds like you've got Mickey Mouse tools lol. Have you got some sort of little pole you can use to put over the Allen key? That'll give you more leverage and strengthen it a little.

This is not working. ...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377435494216.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377435494216.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 142
  Audi A5
LOL!

Yep, an airgun would be best.

If you can't get hold of one though, next you could try an adjustable spanner on that bit of the snapped Allen key.

Audi A5
It's very bad practice and I shouldn't really advise it but you can grip the shaft with some grips near the top to help stop the shaft turning.

But like said, it would be better to just go to a garage and ask them nicely to just buzz them off quick, their probably do it for free.

Is the car mobile still?

Yeah cars fine. I changed the back springs to as one had broken at mot.
Bought a full set as to replace just one was 80 quid odd at Renault.
Thought the best option was a full set of eibachs cost wise.
Might just nip to garage on Tuesday and ask them to loosen them off.
Im thinking the lower bolts will be a pig too but not looked yet since I cant even get the top ones undone

To reassure you, once, these are off it is a very easy job lol. 2 bolts at the bottom of each strut, and the rears take all of 20 minutes.

Audi A5
Lol! That's alright then. Tbh their not that bad to do if you've got the right tools for job ;)

Last edited:
Yea just pop to a garage and get them to buzz it off, then loosely fit it back so you can get it home and do it yourself.
Don't actually pay them to do the whole thing lol.

182cup & 172 racecar
Should have gone to kwik fit, got them to take them off, and then put them back.

You don't need spring compressors for these.

With all the turning of the spring while trying to undo the nut...im guessing I've somehow misaligned it...its clonking at every single bump in the road now :confused:

Clio 197
Its not jacked up is it when trying to undo ? Will be easier with the car on the ground.

​Also don't bother with the Allen key , with the weight of the car on the ground it should be enough to crack it off , then use the allen key.

No, being trying with it on the ground. Ive filled the top with wd40 will have a quick go at it tomorrow.
​Can you use normal sockets with that tool Feates?