ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing Number Plate (Security Screws??)

Clio Dynamique Noir
I bought some new number plates from Fancy Plates aggeess ago, went travelling and never got an opportunity to fit them, back now and wanted to put them on. Front one is fine with some standard philips screws but the back one is screwed with some screws that have a really awkward head! Ill upload a picture of them tomorrow, did a quick search and think these are the ones

http://www.insight-direct.co.uk/DotNetShop/listsubgroup.aspx?Group=41&SubGroup=8

Advertised as 'security screws'...any clues how to get them off??...

If you dont have the Tool to remove it, Id suggest what JackJack said

Drill the head off, remove your plate, drill the rest of the screw out the hole then re-tap to the size of screw/machine bolt you want to use

Clio Dynamique Noir
First attempt with pliers :) :
DSCF3593.jpg
[/IMG]

That was on Friday, been away for the weekend thought I would give the pliers another bash this evening before I started drilling anywhere near my car! Haha

These are the stupid screws that were on there:
DSCF3592.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCF3591.jpg
[/IMG]

I was trying to get them off by squeezing some long nose pliers in the screw cap bit as I didnt want to break it, then remembered I wouldnt be attaching the new one with screw so ripped them off the just turned them with the pliers. Result! So the so called 'Security Screws' Arent very secure and certainly wouldnt stop ANYONE from taking your number plate!

Thanks for the help guys got the new one on now!!

clio 1.4 16v 02
Get a blade and cut off the plastic thing around the screw to give u some more room for a bit of grabage and use mole grips :)

Even though you've done it,

Countless variatons of fucked screw heads and security screws havent stood a f**king chance against:

dremel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.jpg

Great little tool(s)

Attachments

• dremel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 303
  Clio Dynamique Noir
bet that blody hurt. keep at it with the plyers bud

Ye it did!! :D ...pliers did the trick!

Get a blade and cut off the plastic thing around the screw to give u some more room for a bit of grabage and use mole grips :)

^This worked. Although I just ripped the plastic thing off! Then got a better grip with the pliers! Dont have mole grips :(

Even though you've done it,

Countless variatons of f**ked screw heads and security screws havent stood a f**king chance against:

Great little tool(s)

What is that?! Looks like something from Hostel!!

Clio Dynamique Noir
Where can you buy one? Halfrauds or homebase? Do you just drill the head of the screw off or make a new groove on the head?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
I used a Stanley knife and cut the edge off the cap parts off, flat head screwdriver down the side to pop it out, then pair of stilsons to twist the screw out. Sorted!