ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing seized wishbone bolt

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Does anyone have any tips for removing these buggers?
I’ve tried everything and it just won’t budge. The inner metal of the rubber bush has seized to the bolt from what I can tell.

I’m happy to take a grinder to it but I don’t have the access. Would a multi tool do the job?

IMG_7634.jpeg

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Does anyone have any tips for removing these buggers?
I’ve tried everything and it just won’t budge. The inner metal of the rubber bush has seized to the bolt from what I can tell.

I’m happy to take a grinder to it but I don’t have the access. Would a multi tool do the job?

View attachment 1658624
I used a grinder with a thin cutting disc. There was enough room to get between the bush and the wishbone/bracket.

It was a bit of a dick though.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
On my first 182, one of the bushes was practically welded to the bolt. I had very few tools, but I did have a blow torch and a hammer. It’s bloody horrible, smelly, smokey and probably downright dangerous ☠️

Buy a saw!

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks. Never used one of these saws before, will the blade that comes with it be suitable or do I need a specific blade?
Black and Decker are full s**t btw but I have this exact saw because it was £20 in a B&Q closing sale recently. It comes with one metal and one wood cutting blade. If it were me I would assume whatever blade you use will get trashed by the bolts so buy another on Amazon just in case - saves you wasting another day etc.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Thanks for the replies everyone. Hoping to get a recip saw at the weekend and get this sorted.
I've got another quick question that seemed too basic to start a new thread. Can the below be removed for access to the arb? The car is currently on axle stands and I wasn't sure if it's safe to remove or if it's supporting something.

20230830_113316336_iOS.jpg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
This might work if you haven't already gone out and bought a saw.

Depending on how rusted the bolt is to the inner metal sleeve. Spray some penetrating fluid in first and let it soak.

Now't to lose.

bushes.jpg

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Now the wishbone is out I was planning to replace them entirely with new bushes etc. I've read the OSF wishbone has been discontinued so it's either refurb mine or get some aftermarket ones.
I was looking at the below. Would these be ok with one of these stiffening plates? Or should I stop being lazy and go and get the bushes removed? I tried yesterday and they wouldn't budge.
eBay link

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Id refurb oem so you have the correct castor. Stick some powerflex bushes in and new balljoints. Paint or powdercoat finish.

The bushes arent too bad to get out. Press, vice or burn the rubbers out and carefully cut the outer sleeve so it just needs a tap to knock it out.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Id refurb oem so you have the correct castor. Stick some powerflex bushes in and new balljoints. Paint or powdercoat finish.

The bushes arent too bad to get out. Press, vice or burn the rubbers out and carefully cut the outer sleeve so it just needs a tap to knock it out.
Thanks, I'll have a go at burning them out. I just hope all my bashing with a hammer hasn't ruined them :unsure:

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Assuming they are not bent then should be ok. The bushes are press fit hammer usually wont cut it on these.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Ball joints are cheap, re bushing it is simple enough, I'd fit standard bushes over powerflex if you can, unless racecar

Matt182!

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Inferno
Just jumping on this thread as I am also planning to refurbish my wishbones. However I contacted RPD and it seems that the original bushes (8200651169 or 7700789477) are no longer available....

Anyone know or have experience with any alternatives other than Powerflex?

Thanks.