ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault 5 GT Turbo - The Project

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Well ive gone and bought it. Its a Renault 5 GT Turbo on a G plate with 79k on the clock. Its had 2 previous owners with all tax discs present, and possibly a fully service history. The car was bought from a lady who had a troubled divorce with her husband in 1999 so the car has been stored for 11 years.

Before i started on anything, i gave the car a quick wash and went over it with a rotary and some G3. The car has faded quite badly but i am happy with how it has turned out so far. I may need to spray some bits such as the rusty rear quarter and the bootlid (which is bent and will need replacing)

Obviously its not immaculate yet as ive only had it a few hours but i am pleased with the progress so far.

How it looked at 10.30 this morning.

Renault5GTTurbo26-06-102.jpg

Renault5GTTurbo26-06-105.jpg

How it looked at 15.00 this afternoon

Renault5GTTurbo26-06-1041.jpg

Renault5GTTurbo26-06-1042.jpg

Renault5GTTurbo26-06-1049.jpg

Renault5GTTurbo26-06-1026.jpg

Renault5GTTurbo26-06-1012.jpg

Renault5GTTurbo26-06-1011.jpg

Next jobs:
- Get it running!
- Finish polishing and paint if needed
- Clean interior

Renault5GTTurbo26-06-1019.jpg

Carl

Clio 172 Cup
Can't wait to see this come together, am not green with envy or anything like that either :rasp: lol

PH1 iceburg
I cant beleive how much the red has come up. Reminds me i need to get mine done.

Really looking forward to see progress of this.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
looks great! whats the plans in the near future? does it run?

Plan is to keep it completely standard, tidy it up, MOT it and drive around listening to a 90's mix tape :cool: then once i get bored....sell it lol

Its a non runner but i havent even looked at why its not starting, hopefully i will get it running on tuesday.

Carl

E46 325ci, ZX10r E9f
that brings back memories, had 2 of those. 1st one was F reg and white, then a G reg grey one..........1990 to 1993

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
that brings back memories, had 2 of those. 1st one was F reg and white, then a G reg grey one..........1990 to 1993

ditto i had 2 f reg and one of the few j-reg ones!

nice to know your keeping it standard tbh

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Utterly jealeous. Whats going on with the boot gap though?

Rear hatch brackets are bent, going to give it some heat on tuesday to see if i can bend it into shape. If not i will need a new hatch.

Carl

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Bloody hell, how do you bend them! Staying completely standard? Yet to drive an original one, i'd really like to.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Started on getting the car going today.

- Fixed the wiring in the car so it would turn over (car turned but would not fire)

- Repaired the TDC loom/plug
- Removed each plug, re-gapped them
- Check fire order and check for spark.

After doing this the car would not fire so knew it was fuel related. Checked the carb and no fuel was there. Sprayed brake cleaner down the carb and the car fired :D !

Checked all the wiring and relays and everything seemed ok. Checked the wiring under the car and there was no fuel pump/filter haha! Problem... :p

Going to get a second hand fuel pump and new filter and the car should be a go-er.

Carl

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Fitted a fuel pump/filter and the car runs brilliant! no knocking or anything, very smooth.

Fitted new front pads and discs and new rear pads and discs. Had to replace one of the rear calipers due to it being seized.

Gave the interior a wipe over for the photo as i havent got many photos of the interior.

Renault5GTTurbo03-07-101.jpg

Carl

Monaco 172
How's it coming along now? Kind of interested in buying when I get back from holiday in 2 weeks :)

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
awesome, never driven one, what are they like?

They are ghetto lol! its very raw to drive :D Was fun tho.

The car is now fully road legal. Going to park it up for the year then complete the project next year when i return from London. Will be having a full respray and the wheels re-furbed.

Carl

320d
I love it. I'd love to find a mint, standard unabused one. Like this will be when your finished with it. If you decide to sell you will get good monies for it.

R5 GTT
Welcome to the world of retro turbo charging :cool:
Looks fantastic, can't wait to see it once you have worked your magic on the ole girls.

work for BMW
Amazing car i am very jealous! i am just a bit too young to have been around when they were in their prime but they are still a car i most want at some point in my life

5 year post gap ha, worth the wait though. Well done on a great find, very lucky to find an OE one.

What have you done about the exhaust?

also maybe consider a red carpet and some period style number plates? This thread needs more photos!

Last edited:

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Properly cool little car!!!

So rare now, in this condition, my mate has one in tungsten grey, in similiar condition, In storage and only used now and again!