ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique (2002) - Silver

Renault Clio 1.2
Just bought this car, as my first car for £1350:
Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique - Silver

2002 model, 52 reg:
DSC_0584.jpg

DSC_0585.jpg

DSC_0586.jpg

DSC_0587.jpg

DSC_0588.jpg

DSC_0589.jpg

Just over 83.5k miles on the clock:
DSC_0598.jpg

Interior is in good condition:
DSC_0594.jpg

DSC_0592.jpg

DSC_0590.jpg

I quite like Tommys clio:
img00769201010111135.jpg

img00771201010111136.jpg

img00787201010111139.jpg

Looking to modify the car to make it look and sound better. Ideas?
NOTE: I only have limited knowledge on cars, and what parts are which.

Last edited:
  Low!
Depends on your budget. Lowering is probably the best thing to do. After that if you don't have the budget, some very cheap mods can make it very nice.

Renault Clio 1.2
Thanks for your feedback vail3r. I definitely will be lowering the car - however, the car (I think) could do with some better tyres and alloys. Any suggestions for this? Also, what would you say to do - to get alloys first, or get it lowered?

Harpham - Looks very nice however I'm not so sure I like the colouring on the Renault badge and the '16v' lettering. But apart from that, I can't fault it - it looks pretty decent.

As for the sound system: I've got a sub woofer on the way - a FLI Trap 12" 1000w sub.
FLiTrap12CAG.jpg

This will be powered by a FLI 900w (4 channel) amp.
2009_05_06_10_53_39_900s.jpg

Not sure about what head unit or also what speakers to go for, for front doors and rear seats (in panelling)? Any suggestions of speakers you own/owned that will work well and sound nice with the 1000w sub?

So - current list of things to do/get:
Fit sound system
Clio sport bumper (would I have to inform the insurance company as I'm changing the bodywork)?
Get some alloys and tyres (what size would you suggest - 15" 16" or 17")?
^ also, will this effect my policy and bump up the price)?
Get the car lowered (by how much - I don't know)?
*Possibly get rear window tints

Ideas and comments on the above would be appreciated!

Low!
Lower it first, the car will still look like a monster truck even with nice alloys.

pay for membership on here so you have access to the for sale section, there is always great buys coming up and you will save yourself money.

Edit: As for size it's up to you. I have bought 17" but that size is not to everyone's taste, most people go for 15/16"

mk2 ph1 1.4 S
Get it lowered then respray your alloys a dark or a bright colour... Then colour match the side strips to the car ;)

Look at my thread for how yellow alloys go with that colour.

I also have a set of door speakers in the front, pioneers, and a set of 6x9s in the par el shelf, wired the
Into te rear door card speakers...

Headunit is going in after Christmas along with a vibe active sub ;)

Renault Clio 1.2
As for size it's up to you. I have bought 17" but that size is not to everyone's taste, most people go for 15/16"
Vail3r - how would you say your 17"s look and do you ever wish you'd have gone for 16"s or even 15"s?

Get it lowered then respray your alloys a dark or a bright colour... Then colour match the side strips to the car ;)
Any specific colours you think would look good on my silver Clio?

I also have a set of door speakers in the front, pioneers, and a set of 6x9s in the par el shelf, wired the Into te rear door card speakers...
Definitely looking to upgrade and fit speakers in the front doors and on the rear seats, however not too keen on having speakers on parcel shelf as there's more chance it'd get broken into.

I must say, good choice of amp there pal
Cheers Sam. Let's hope mine comes new and working (unlike your first one that came) haha. Well, let's look on the bright side - at least it's all working now!

Renault Clio 1.2
Ah right, yes. Would you say it's best to lower it 40mm or even lower if I'm rolling on 15"s? (Baring in mind I live up a stoney lane)?

1.2 Dynamique 16v
Looks like a quality canvas to be honest matey. Ive replied to your PM. If youd like to know, mines lowered 50mm on eibach springs. I think it sits nicely but each to their own! By the way i have that sub, and i cant fault it

mk2 ph1 1.4 S
Depending on how low you like your cars tbh... Personally I like them extra low so would say like 90mm

Maybe with your circumstances go fo 60mm?

Mk5 Ibiza Cupra
very tidy looking first car (why does it have a tape player though??)

if i were you mate, i wouldn't modify it, i'd leave it and get some experience driving first before doing anything to it, thats what im doing anyway

Renault Clio 1.2
Looks like a quality canvas to be honest matey. Ive replied to your PM. If youd like to know, mines lowered 50mm on eibach springs. I think it sits nicely but each to their own! By the way i have that sub, and i cant fault it
Cheers mate - great help. Really just love how yours looks that's why. It's just the subtle mods that make all the difference. Did you have to declare that you changed rear bumper to insurance company?

Depending on how low you like your cars tbh... Personally I like them extra low so would say like 90mm
Maybe with your circumstances go fo 60mm?
I love low cars - absolutely love them. In my opinion they make driving more fun. Slowing down for all the bumps, then speeding away afterwards. It also makes you more aware of what's going on the road because you're concentrating so much and always on the lookout for bumps and stuff. People say it f***s up your handling if you get it lowered? If so, how bad? Because I will be a new driver and don't want to end up through a wall! ;)

very tidy looking first car (why does it have a tape player though??)
if i were you mate, i wouldn't modify it, i'd leave it and get some experience driving first before doing anything to it, thats what im doing anyway
Not sure why it has tape player if I'm honest - no idea at all. Found out yesterday - it has a CD changer hooked up to it though, so it's not that bad for the time being. I will be upgrading the head-unit anyway, so weather it was the stock CD player or tape player - I don't mind as I'll be getting rid of it anyway. Haha!

Renault Clio
Nop I haven't modded the lights just put a HID kit in and thanks alot mate u will get there soon mate :rasp:

LY R26
Some inspiration:
http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae113/richybatt/DSC03086.jpg
http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae113/richybatt/DSC03087.jpg
http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae113/richybatt/DSC03091.jpg

And for the spec:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?525307-pictures-of-my-finished-project!&highlight=

The best way to do it mate is be brave,try things yourself, if you like it then that's all that matters, don't go on th defensive when people give their opinion and think of it as constructive criticism and you will be onto a winner. Some people on hear voice their opinion in ways that seem negative bu they don't always mean it, and,I hate to say it, but most of the time people on here are right as they have been in the same position as us and hit every down possible and still came out with the sun shining out their arse so don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck. My Clio was my first car and I didn't have a clue where to start with it, but I made friends on here who are more than happy to help and you will be surprised at just how much you learn to do. I will be following this as I was in the exact same boat not so long ago. Sorry for the novel haha! Look forward to seeing the end product!

Renault Clio 1.2
Some inspiration:
http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae113/richybatt/DSC03086.jpg
http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae113/richybatt/DSC03087.jpg
http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae113/richybatt/DSC03091.jpg

And for the spec:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?525307-pictures-of-my-finished-project!&highlight=

The best way to do it mate is be brave,try things yourself, if you like it then that's all that matters, don't go on th defensive when people give their opinion and think of it as constructive criticism and you will be onto a winner. Some people on hear voice their opinion in ways that seem negative bu they don't always mean it, and,I hate to say it, but most of the time people on here are right as they have been in the same position as us and hit every down possible and still came out with the sun shining out their arse so don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck. My Clio was my first car and I didn't have a clue where to start with it, but I made friends on here who are more than happy to help and you will be surprised at just how much you learn to do. I will be following this as I was in the exact same boat not so long ago. Sorry for the novel haha! Look forward to seeing the end product!

Thanks ever so much richy - great help! I will be looking to start work on the car soon. Once Christmas is out of the way hopefully I can crack on. However, the only problem being my birthday is in July - you see I got the car early because it was a bargain for the money and age of the car (baring in mind it's in mint condition); I don't really want to do too much just yet and find myself not being able to afford the insurance policy after the mods (when I can actually insure it).

I will post updates as the car progresses.

One issue I have found on the car is on the engine there is the engine cover yeah? I had to take that off because it was rattling and annoying me. Is there any way I can fit a new one on so it doesn't rattle? If so do you know any of the sporty looking ones - as I'm looking to also making the engine bay look nice!

Thanks for your help!

LY R26
I got mY car before I passed my test and didn't do nothing till I passed my test mate, took me three months to get it like that!

As for the engine cover just make sure it was bolted down properly, and depending on what cover you have(think it changed in 04 if I'm correct, to a different engine layout- hence different cover, you can paint your own cover that you already have.) other than that i don't know of any other covers mate.

Renault Clio 1.2
I got mY car before I passed my test and didn't do nothing till I passed my test mate, took me three months to get it like that!

As for the engine cover just make sure it was bolted down properly, and depending on what cover you have(think it changed in 04 if I'm correct, to a different engine layout- hence different cover, you can paint your own cover that you already have.) other than that i don't know of any other covers mate.

Alright - no worries. Thanks for you help mate.